Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 AM

67 posts, read 152,448 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm considering a move to either Avon or Canton pretty soon. I have received a lot information from these forums which I really appreciate. I wanted to know the opinion about Avon vs. Canton school system. CAPT scores are higher for Avon and the bigger school system brings a little more diversity compared to Canton. Canton also seems to be a very good school system.

Canton is a closer commute to Torrington for me and home costs are probably a little lower than Avon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docyale View Post
Hi all, I'm considering a move to either Avon or Canton pretty soon. I have received a lot information from these forums which I really appreciate. I wanted to know the opinion about Avon vs. Canton school system. CAPT scores are higher for Avon and the bigger school system brings a little more diversity compared to Canton. Canton also seems to be a very good school system.

Canton is a closer commute to Torrington for me and home costs are probably a little lower than Avon.
Both will prepare your kids very well for whatever they want to do in life. People here tend to split hairs when it comes to districts. Bottom line would be to go wherever your family is most comfortable. Please ignore the CAPT/CMT score data. As someone who is actually employed in a public school, I can tell you they are not indicative whatsoever of college/career readiness.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:31 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Canton's schools have improved in terms of test scores over the past 10 years and tests like the CAPT and CMT are among the better in the state. However, Avon has long been one of the top 10 school systems in the state, so could have more long term value in terms of resale.

In terms of diversity, Avon is more diverse racially, with 81% white students, 9% Asian, and around 4% each for African American and Hispanic. Canton is 91% white, with about 3% each African American and Hispanic, and 2% Asian. (Yes, I know neither adds up to 100%, but there is rounding and also other/mixed race)

At the high school level, Avon offers about double the number of AP classes as Canton and has more programs to offer its students. SAT scores at Avon seem to hover around #7 in the state each year, while Canton has been between 15 and 30 most years, with one year (2011-12) coming it at #6 overall.

You can't really go wrong with either town.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:35 AM

would you say Canton is a town which is improving year by year. That will make it a real good real estate investment market. Right?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM

also us news ranking.. ranked canton high school above Avon

Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
You really are splitting hairs and your choice is an excellent school system vs. another excellent school system. Look at both towns, drive around, get a feel for both of them and pick which one suits your family best. You truly can't go wrong with either in regards to schools, so you will need to develop additional criteria to narrow down which town is best for you.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
would you say Canton is a town which is improving year by year. That will make it a real good real estate investment market. Right?
Don't buy in a town just for the "investment" or re-sale. Many top towns in CT have seen homes prices decline even in the best towns over the years. If you are going to buy a home, be in it for a while and 10 years from now sell it, you *might see a slight return. But don't buy in Avon and try to sell in 3 years and expect to make a boat load.

Either way, FWIW, Avon is my favorite town with Canton a close second (I really like Collinsville).

Old 02-12-2015, 10:31 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
also us news ranking.. ranked canton high school above Avon
I would not necessarily go by that. I have seen high schools on their list that I would question sending my kids to. It is all a matter of what you use for rating schools and what is most important. Jay

Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. In a down economy I would say a home in Avon would sell faster and for more money than a home in Canton. Avon is considered one of the most desirable towns in greater Hartford (along with West Hartford, Simsbury, Farmington, West Hartford and Glastonbury). Canton is not. Still that is not to say Canton is undesirable, it is just further out from major employment centers. I agree that you can't go wrong with either town. Avon is much more affluent than Canton and has a more upscale feel. Canton is more small town and a bit funky but still nice. Only you can decide which town is more to your liking. Jay

Old 02-12-2015, 10:49 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not necessarily. In a down economy I would say a home in Avon would sell faster and for more money than a home in Canton. Avon is considered one of the most desirable towns in greater Hartford (along with West Hartford, Simsbury, Farmington, West Hartford and Glastonbury). Canton is not. Still that is not to say Canton is undesirable, it is just further out from major employment centers. I agree that you can't go wrong with either town. Avon is much more affluent than Canton and has a more upscale feel. Canton is more small town and a bit funky but still nice. Only you can decide which town is more to your liking. Jay

Avon has historically been considered more "classy" and desirable but there is nothing wrong with Canton. I have close relatives whose kids went through the Canton school system and now have advanced degrees from prestigious colleges --and the entire family enjoys living in the town.

Money and prestige are not everything; neither are test scores and home prices or resale values. If you want to be closer to Torrington, try Canton. Both towns are fine and are nothing to agonize over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut