Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:25 PM

642 posts, read 854,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

I suggest you spend more time there to make a more informed position. The city is fighting hard against negative PR that wouldn't exist for similar cities that cover a larger footprint.
I really like New Haven and I am rooting for the crime to get better. If it does I think New Haven would be the best City in CT. I have and still do spend time in New Haven. I have had quite a few relatives that lived in New Haven but now they all moved to the surrounding suburbs to be in safer areas. I used to go to New Haven quite a bit in the 1980's and I did feel safe. I would say they started to be move out of New Haven in the 1990's and I do remember not having a sense it was as safe from the 1990's onward.

If New Haven somehow gets as safe as Stamford by the time we retire I would rather live in the city instead. My husband is a country mouse though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 01:37 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,604,473 times
Being from Chicago Lakeview, I am familiar with crime and how to avoid it. Crime trends to be concentrated in key areas for a variety of reasons. I currently live in a hi-rise with a 24 hour doorman and security cameras all over the place. I've never been a victim of crime in the 40 years I've been here but I practice safe living. ☺

New Haven was certainly one of the cities that I considered but I think the distance makes a move there counter productive. Plus, Stamford seems to have a greater inventory of housing, particularly condos, should we decide to buy again.

However, my experiences with condos is poor. Owners are disengaged from their responsibility of participating in the Association goverance and watching the money, making Associations easy prey for nefarious management/Board teams. The problem is ubiquitous in Chicago. For the time being we'll rent, but condo is an option and it seems that Stamford has a reasonable inventory to choose from. White Plains is neglible, being mostly coop.

Thanks again for all of the thoughts and advice!

Old 02-22-2015, 01:40 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,259,437 times
New Haven is too far. Stamford, White Plains and New Rochelle are probably the best options for an "urban suburb" close to NYC and on Metro North.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:41 PM

Yes, this is the conclusion we came to though I am open to exploring any practical alternatives. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:47 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I would say they started to be move out of New Haven in the 1990's and I do remember not having a sense it was as safe from the 1990's onward.
It is night and day now compared to the 90's, in several ways.

Another place in CT to consider would be South Norwalk. A bit cheaper than Stamford and convenient to train. Downtown Fairfield and Milford areas would be worth considering but are not urban, though they are reasonably walkable and have good housing options.

Good to know OP you think New Haven is too far, but it might be worth checking out either way. Again, you'd pay less than half that of Stamford for the same place. Maybe consider a single family home in East Rock as an alternative to a condo in Stamford.

This is an example of a prime condo, in a prime walkable location and you can see how inexpensive it is (it would likely sell for closer to 300):

http://www.realtor.com/search/listin...rid=4791095053

Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM

Well, New Haven is definitely worth considering. One plan would be to first move to Stamford and then if we want to buy check out options in New Haven. Buying another condo is a big decision so it will take lots of due diligence. New Haven will be on our list, especially given all that it has to offer. Thanks for the link! Very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut