Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 AM

67 posts, read 208,446 times

Advertisements

NORTH MADISON--- especially with children

a good/ reasonable commute to either Hartford/ New Britain or Wallingford--- CHECK-- NO Madison is less than 40 mins to Hartford/ NB and 15 mins to Wallingford

a community with great schools (three children)--- CHECK---Award winning

a small town feel with good access to stores and restaurants--- Plus the beach

reasonably priced homes (we're downsizing from the $500Ks to, ideally the mid-$300Ks and we're more interested in space and a decent lot size rather than a new home -- we're okay with a fixer-upper, in other words)-----
GREAT SPACE and nice neighborhoods----You may need to reconsider what you will have to spend though- maybe 450

A decent commute to NYC, as that is a big draw for my husband, who is reluctant to leave a very urban environment.------How often do you want to visit NYC?

Its a 2 hour trip

New Haven has actually become quite a vibrant city when you're looking for an urban fix

I have family in North Haven, West Haven, Southington and Plainville---- Reasonably close to each--- half hourish maybe a little more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:13 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyof6fromCT View Post
NORTH MADISON--- especially with children
Would you recommend living near the village? What streets bound North Madison. How is Island Elementary?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 PM

Def live closer to town if you can afford it and don't have the commute concerns that the OP asked about

Island is very good

North Madison is considered north of route 80 these days- so neighborhoods north of 80 and west of rte 79- dorsett- brians knoll, etc

Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Def live closer to town if you can afford it and don't have the commute concerns that the OP asked about

Island is very good

North Madison is considered north of route 80 these days- so neighborhoods north of 80 and west of rte 79- dorsett- brians knoll, etc
It is a beautiful town. I only saw it in the evening last Sept. I am hauling out the family to see it in the summer. I am also considering Litchfield County.

How far are you from Skiing? Hockey? Nice down to earth folk? or I am I required to drive a BMW?

Old 01-13-2008, 01:15 PM

litchfield and madison are very different

close enough to all kinds of skiing

you'll find that most people are down to earth but there is a high degree of the "others"- mostly pretenders

Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 PM

12 posts, read 45,382 times
I grew up in Wallingford. Great place to live, with all the amenties of a larger town. If small if what you are after, go for Durham, Cheshire, or Middlefield- all adjacent to Wallingford.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
litchfield and madison are very different..
high degree of the "others"- mostly pretenders
Which has less? How are kid level sports? Is there any fishing in Madison? I noticed there is a lake/pond behind the theater area on BPR.

Oh. Are there any BAD areas?

I am not necessarily looking for a small town, but a place where my wife and I can really enjoy raising my kids full time. We are slightly older parents and the kids are very young. Oh. We are kinda' quirky in that we are Chinese Americans and we have been living in Europe for the last 4 years so the kids speak Italian and English.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 01-14-2008 at 05:53 AM..

Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 AM

How are kid level sports?

VERY GOOD

Is there any fishing in Madison?

YES- Long Island Sound- Lakes- CT River all nearby

NO

Old 01-15-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
How are kid level sports?

VERY GOOD

Is there any fishing in Madison?

YES- Long Island Sound- Lakes- CT River all nearby

NO
Fam

Is the area bound by 80 and 95 on Durham not so great? Is Durham a busy road? Thanks.

Bob

Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 AM

Madison is a nice town in all parts

Durham is a long busy road and the main thoroughfare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut