Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:24 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times

Advertisements

Just ran into this on the internet, released in 2015. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk ranks 3rd most expensive metro. When taking into account taxes, housing, utilities, food and healthcare, it ranks more expensive than Westchester County, the 5 boroughs of NYC combined, San Francisco, Miami, Los Angeles and Hawaii….

Greater Danbury ranks 11th in the country, higher than San Francisco and Santa Cruz...

Here is the top 5:

1. Long Island
2. Nantucket, MA
3. Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk
4. Honolulu, HI
5. Westchester/White Plains, NY

I like this list because it doesn't take into account house prices alone, or income alone, or anything else alone. It's an index of the average of everything combined. Sounds right to me because when I looked at CA, I was surprised how much I would save on utilities and some taxes…

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...merica-2015-2#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:49 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
interesting - Not sure how sound their reasoning is - San Fran is only 15 on the list because of their high minimum wage, which is scheduled to go even higher, and Santa Cruz is 12 because of affordable healthcare.

I looked into the Los Angeles, California area a few years back, and decided "no" because of not just housing prices (and I lived in Avon at the time), but because the state income tax and sales tax are much higher than in CT, which would have more than offset any savings in property tax. We'd likely have had to pay 30-40% more to get close to an equivalent home as what we had had in Avon... and, even then, the home likely would have been older and on a smaller lot than what we had in Avon.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:52 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Funny to see the word Bridgeport nestled between Nantucket and Honolulu.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:58 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
interesting - Not sure how sound their reasoning is - San Fran is only 15 on the list because of their high minimum wage, which is scheduled to go even higher, and Santa Cruz is 12 because of affordable healthcare.

I looked into the Los Angeles, California area a few years back, and decided "no" because of not just housing prices (and I lived in Avon at the time), but because the state income tax and sales tax are much higher than in CT, which would have more than offset any savings in property tax. We'd likely have had to pay 30-40% more to get close to an equivalent home as what we had had in Avon... and, even then, the home likely would have been older and on a smaller lot than what we had in Avon.
So you looked into LA, too?

Unfortunately it's not all about house prices. I lived in LA and am from FFC, so can accurately compare. While home prices in LA are about the same as FFC, you have to consider our outrageous energy costs in the winter, the fact that we pay the highest kW/h prices in the country, and the high costs of everything else in FFC. When I moved back, aside from being happier because I missed it here, I can honestly say I felt nickel and dimed in nearly every aspect of daily life.

If you actually lived in any of these places you "looked into", you likely be surprised at how much more money you'd have in your pocket from December through March.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Nantucket? I didnt think it'd be that high. Im not surprised with Bridgeport at all and since Connecticut is one of the richest states, i wouldnt be shocked not if 1 but 2 metros were mentioned.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExplorer View Post
Nantucket? I didnt think it'd be that high. Im not surprised with Bridgeport at all and since Connecticut is one of the richest states, i wouldnt be shocked not if 1 but 2 metros were mentioned.
Danbury metro is #11.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 PM

369 posts, read 558,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
If you actually lived in any of these places you "looked into", you likely be surprised at how much more money you'd have in your pocket from December through March.
True on utilities in those months on the East coast. But on the West coast, and esp the way global warming has been going, I was spending $300/month extra on electricity from May-November because of the ridiculous HEAT in LA + the Valley. If one lives by the ocean, it's a lot cooler, but then you're paying a LOT more for real estate.

I find CA to be cheaper in some ways (and better for the life one one's car, for one!), but CT is slightly better prices in other ways. So if I were to compare, I'd say one would come up almost even living in either place.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
True on utilities in those months on the East coast. But on the West coast, and esp the way global warming has been going, I was spending $300/month extra on electricity from May-November because of the ridiculous HEAT in LA + the Valley. If one lives by the ocean, it's a lot cooler, but then you're paying a LOT more for real estate.

I find CA to be cheaper in some ways (and better for the life one one's car, for one!), but CT is slightly better prices in other ways. So if I were to compare, I'd say one would come up almost even living in either place.
Keep in mind the area you're moving to in CT (Milford) is much cheaper than the area noted in this list (Stamford). By most measures, the Stamford area has a slightly higher cost of living than LA. Milford probably has a slightly lower COL than LA.

That being said, both are expensive states and it's splitting hairs to compare the COL between any of these metros listed.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Yes, because I've acquired a somewhat unique set of skills over the years (no, not like Liam Neeson...) and have indicated I'm interested in relocating for the right opportunity, I get recruited by companies all over the country. Not counting the Northeast, I've seriously considered roles in LA, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Richmond, Atlanta, Columbus, OH, Madison, WI, Chicago and a few others I'm probably forgetting.

The way I looked at it, the income tax my wife & I would pay in California would be either 9.30% or 10.30%. In Connecticut, we're paying 6.00%. On $300,000 of income, that's almost $10,000 more in income taxes. If my wife found a job that gave her a bump in pay, we'd be up to the 10.30% tax bracket. On top of that, the LA county sales tax is 9.00% as well vs 6.35% in Connecticut.

Considering that we'd need to pay into 7 figures to find a home that was not quite equivalent to what we had in Avon at the time in the low 600s, it was not worth it for us.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:02 AM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
Out of curiosity, how come you didn't pick Houston, Dallas, or Chicago? Those tend to be more affordable with the even bigger real estate. Maybe not so much in land, but, houses easily surpass 6k sqft for $1M.

I am also from Los Angeles and it will always be a place to call home in America, but, the real estate there just doesn't justify living there. I do think there's a very specific California issue going on there. If I move to LA, it'd be very temporary for the experience and I'd rent cheap and save up money to move again and buy a house elsewhere in the country. I visited just a year ago all around L.A, and it's just ridiculous what you pay and what you get. I know I'm spoiled living here but I don't understand how people pay 400k for a house with no driveway and a yard that an ant can crawl in 10 minutes. I like it more in Connecticut. The Winter here sucks but there's nothing in Los Angeles that is more beautiful than New England Autumn near a stream or just the feel of Spring in late April/early May here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut