Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

CT: remote state, culture lack, 4 seasons, catholic schools, avid surfer, being a renter, small income

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM

50 posts, read 185,300 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a single mom with 2 great kids ages 13 & 10 B/G.
We left our native state of CA in 2001 and I thought after my research that the state I chose would be a good fit.... after 7 yrs, it is very much NOT!.
I will say that I chose a very remote far up north state.
We went to NYC for Thanksgiving, my first time ever on the EC and LOVED IT!, people have always mistaken me for an east coast girl, we lack culture here, good shopping, good schools (I have been homeschooling a few years now), museums, theatre, anything where people can see new and or differant faces. now, I really want 4 seasons and both my kids are VERY smart, private or catholic schools would fit the bill or even charter schools!

I myself, have a backround in education but, would love to do something else, mabe even go back to school. I have an adult son in CA who suggested CT to me, he is an avid surfer (when not working of course) and wants me to live somewhere near an ocean.
I can acustom myself to change easily, I am friendly, outgoing and very easy to talk to. Because I have a disabilty, I do have a small income that would follow me wherever I go live but, still, chances are I would go back to being a renter... I bought my very first home here, and I also have to worry about selling it too... is it safe to say the economy is not that great in every state?, I am pretty good at living on a budget if need be.

Anyway, thats my intro and I hope to hear from some friendly people

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 05:12 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Samsoncat

I feel Connecticut might be a very good fit for you. We have tons of culture here; Great Art & Natural history Museums, Theater and Stage, Symphony, Opera, plus shopping second to no place nationally and a coastal location, with beaches, seaports and access to Cape Cod, the Islands, coastal Maine and beautiful Vermont.

We are close to two world class cities- New York and Boston. We have ancient cities with much diversity and culture, small towns with great New England charm, verdant forests and wineries that produce excellent vintages.

Seems your son may be on to something! As for schools, private schooling is not really needed here; since in most towns schools are rated highly as a whole, in comparison to other states. In many towns public schools are Superior to highly rated private schools elsewhere.

Real estate in Connecticut varies, with Fairfield county being expensive. You might consider eastern CT, on the outer fringe of Hartford's suburbs where rents will be lower, and home prices very reasonable- around 240K and up for a new home, in towns like Vernon and Ellington, and a large townhouse for well under 180K, however greater Hartford as a whole may be an ideal fit for you based on the criteria you have given.

Good luck.

Last edited by skytrekker; 01-11-2008 at 05:35 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Samsoncat - While there are a number of private and Catholic schools in Connecticut, there really isn't the need to send your children to them like in other states. The public schools in many towns here are excellent, rivaling or exceeding that received in a private school.

You indicate the desire to be near the ocean. How close do you want to be? Be aware that the Connecticut coast fronts on Long Island Sound which is different from open ocean. Some people like it, some don't (I would suspect your surfer son will not like it). Rhode Island and Cape Cod are not far and its beaches are on open ocean. Jay

Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 PM

50 posts, read 185,300 times
Sky and Jay, well, it certainly puts my mind at ease that I won't have to worry about schools... like I said before, the ONLY reason I homeschool is because the schools here are atrocious! I don't need to be on the ocean itself, I actually prefer suburbs over cities as well. I do love the fact that I would be close to major cities like NY & Boston my 2 kids are avid about diversity, meeting new people. I of course LOVE to shop!, but have to keep that in check, I collect Vintage 40s-60s, art deco, we all love live music, theatre (it was a dissapointment that Broadway was striking when we were there :-(

But I think that buying a home there is most likely out of my realm of possibilities... IF I should succeed in selling my home here, it would most likely fetch $155K and after paying off my mortgage... well, you get the picture.

S.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:24 AM

39 posts, read 88,552 times
Default Living in CT

$155,000 will not buy you anything in CT unless you want to buy in places like Bridgeport or Hartford. However, I wouldn't recommend either city especially with children in tow. Rents are also high. You might try looking in the Shelton area if you are planning on Fairfield County. Milford, CT is also another consideration and is closer to the sound. Wallingford, CT has a number of rentals both apartment buildings and two and three family homes. Also consider towns on the eastern side of the Connecticut River, ie., the greater New London area. I agree with other responders that Connecticut schools are decent and if you are into the 'broadway' scene, downtown New Haven is home to the Shubert Theater known for staging plays before they hit broadway. As for the beaches, if you don't mind an 1 1/2 hour trip one way (from Shelton, CT), check out a small beach just over the boarder in RI called Dunes Beach. Unlike the State beach in Westerly, Dunes Beach has soft, stoneless sand and is so much more peaceful. There are two nice beaches in Fairfield, Sasco Hill and Southport beaches. Also Guilford, CT has a nice town beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut