Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How do you know that? And why would you even say this? It is like saying take Wall Street out of New York City and it would not make it either. Jay
Actually, it might not. Without Wall Street, and all it encompasses -- home to American stock exchange, NYSE, NASDAQ, ISE, etc. and largest fed reserve bank in the country, it is quite plausible that NYC would not be the standout it is. Wall Street in a very real way makes most other things possible there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Not surprising. And not accurate.

Per capita measures are subject to extreme skews. That's why we prefer to use median household income instead of per capita income.

Fairfield County probably has a few hedge funds that make tens of billions of dollars, even though the county only has about 940k people.

The more interesting statistic would be to see what the median household GDP is.

Sorry, but Fairfield County has the #1 highest income inequality in AMERICA! Under no reasonable measure could anyone consider this to be a "strong economy."
The fact that those hedge funds are even there is indicative of strength.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 PM

227 posts, read 283,421 times
So much home-bias.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The fact that those hedge funds are even there is indicative of strength.
No place with the highest income inequality in the nation can be touted as having a strong economy, I'm sorry. There are large concentrations of poverty in Bridgeport, Norwalk, Danbury and Stratford. Maybe it's a strong economy for RICH people, but not the average person. And NO place can be considered as having a strong economy if it costs more than $200K to buy a house (which FFC is far and above over that). That's why people like me are fleeing the hell out of here in two months so that I can pursuit greener economic pastures. People leave FFC for this reason all the time. Renting until you're in your 40's makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:11 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
So much home-bias.
What do you expect on the Connecticut forum? Are you doubting what this is saying? If it was another negative article I am sure you would be right in there agreeing with it. Jay

Old 03-05-2015, 01:16 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
No place with the highest income inequality in the nation can be touted as having a strong economy, I'm sorry. There are large concentrations of poverty in Bridgeport, Norwalk, Danbury and Stratford. Maybe it's a strong economy for RICH people, but not the average person. And NO place can be considered as having a strong economy if it costs more than $200K to buy a house (which FFC is far and above over that). That's why people like me are fleeing the hell out of here in two months so that I can pursuit greener economic pastures. People leave FFC for this reason all the time. Renting until you're in your 40's makes no sense whatsoever.
Buying a home just for the sake of buying a home no matter where it is makes no sense either.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM

227 posts, read 283,421 times
Quote:
What do you expect on the Connecticut forum? Are you doubting what this is saying? If it was another negative article I am sure you would be right in there agreeing with it. Jay
That would depend on the contents and source of the article. If you send me something from Fox News (not local Fox) or the Heritage Foundation about the downfalls of CT, then I'm not going to be all over it.

This one is just very flawed; others have pointed out the reasons. Plus, the title is grammatically incorrect and that upset me from the onset.

Also, why do you keep rubbing in that 2/3 of the state lives around Fairfield/Stamford like the rest don't matter?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Buying a home just for the sake of buying a home no matter where it is makes no sense either.
Agreed. Most people lose out on their homes when they sell after accounting for interest paid and inflation- of course there are exceptions. It's good to buy when you truly know where you want to spend your life, down to the exact town/city.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
What? What does economic inequality have to do with it? There are poor people everywhere, not just here. The reason we have the greatest inequality is that we have so much wealth here in Connecticut. It is only simple logic that with great wealth there would be a big inequality to the poor.

As has been noted to you MANY times, the only reason you cannot buy a home in Fairfield County is that you refuse to accept anything less than a home that is in like-new condition, within 20 minutes of your job and is a single-family on a large lot. Don't start ranting on the subject because it is off-topic but you are very inflexible and would rather complain about it than swallow your pride and accept something within reason for a person your age. Jay

Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
What? What does economic inequality have to do with it? There are poor people everywhere, not just here. The reason we have the greatest inequality is that we have so much wealth here in Connecticut. It is only simple logic that with great wealth there would be a big inequality to the poor.

As has been noted to you MANY times, the only reason you cannot buy a home in Fairfield County is that you refuse to accept anything less than a home that is in like-new condition, within 20 minutes of your job and is a single-family on a large lot. Don't start ranting on the subject because it is off-topic but you are very inflexible and would rather complain about it than swallow your pride and accept something within reason for a person your age. Jay
"you refuse to accept anything less than a home that is in like-new condition"

Wrong. I want a home that requires no more than about $20K in improvements or updating. And it must be in at least move-in ready.

"within 20 minutes of your job and is a single-family on a large lot"

Wrong again. I'm willing to go up to about 25 minutes, assuming no traffic. That means even if it takes 45 minutes with traffic, I'm okay with that. And not ONCE ever did I say that I wanted a large lot. In fact, I've repeatedly said that I want a small single family on a small lot, for easy maintenance.

Jay, please stop making things up about my criteria for what I look for in a home. It's inaccurate and unfairly makes other forum members think that those are my criteria, when it's not the case. None of it matters anyway, because like I said, I simply don't like FFC and wouldn't choose to stay here even if I was a billionaire. It's just not my cup of tea.

I have no obligation, reason or desire to continue living in Fairfield County.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
That would depend on the contents and source of the article. If you send me something from Fox News (not local Fox) or the Heritage Foundation about the downfalls of CT, then I'm not going to be all over it.

This one is just very flawed; others have pointed out the reasons. Plus, the title is grammatically incorrect and that upset me from the onset.

Also, why do you keep rubbing in that 2/3 of the state lives around Fairfield/Stamford like the rest don't matter?!

Agreed. Most people lose out on their homes when they sell after accounting for interest paid and inflation- of course there are exceptions. It's good to buy when you truly know where you want to spend your life, down to the exact town/city.
This is no more flawed than the articles that rank Connecticut low. And what is grammatically incorrect about the title?

I am not rubbing anything in about the rest of the state. I just pointed out that about 2/3 of the people in Connecticut live in the two counties that are mentioned in the article as being among the strongest economies in the world. With such a high percentage of the entire state covered, it is simple logic that overall the state has a strong economy. I never said or even implied they don't matter so stop twisting my words. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut