Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times

Advertisements

and frankly, they all kind of suck.

Hartford Baseball Has Narrowed The List of Possible Team Names To 10 - Hartford Courant

Choppers
Blue Frogs
Honey Badgers
Hedgehogs
Hound Dogs
Praying Mantis
River Hogs
Screech Owls
Whirlybirds
Yard Goats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
I voted for Yard Goats. Why? Because it's so stupid it's great.

This is a Yard Goat. WHAT? How is this anything related to Hartford? Or Connecticut for that matter.

Who ever pick these names seem like they want to team to fail.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:02 PM

the article says a yard goat is an engine that helps switch trains, so would honor Hartford's railroad history.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:08 PM

247 posts, read 231,151 times
I think they are all horrible names. My vote would have to be Choppers.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:24 PM

instead of honoring Connecticut's role with helicopters with the name "Whirlybirds"and "Choppers" - why not "Blackhawks" or "Skyhawks"?

Hartford Travelers or Aetnas to honor the insurance capital of the world? Hedgehogs? WTF? Opens up the possibility of some corporate money as well?

Honey Badgers? They're a small animal from Africa.

Hound Dogs? I think of Elvis Presley when I hear Hound Dogs... what is our connection to Elvis? None that I know of?

Praying Mantis is too awkward, and Hartford Mantises doesn't sound right.

Why Blue Frogs? Why not Jumping Frogs if you're going the Twain route? (Obviously, Connecticut Yankees would be the best choice, but that name is kind of already taken...)

I lived in the Hartford area for almost 45 years - I've never heard of the Connecticut River, or any of the Hartford area rivers, referred to as "Hog River" - River Hogs? groan...

Screech Owls? I heard "Screech" and I thought of that annoying kid from Saved by the Bell. For owls, Hartford Hooters might not be the most family friendly of names... but, it is alliterative.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Whirlybirds
This is the best name for a team I have ever seen.

I can't stop laughing.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:19 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
What about Hellcats

Old 03-06-2015, 03:27 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
All minor league baseball teams have a weird quirky name.
Akron Rubberducks
Reading Fightin Phils
Richmond Flying Squirrels

Hartford Yard Goats? It sounds cool but odd
How weird would this sound?
"Oh your going to the game tonight"
"Yup, going to the Yard Goats game at 7"

I wanted the Hartford Dark Blues but again I saw this coming

I think the Hartford River Hogs sounds the best!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:02 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
instead of honoring Connecticut's role with helicopters with the name "Whirlybirds"and "Choppers" - why not "Blackhawks" or "Skyhawks"?

Hartford Travelers or Aetnas to honor the insurance capital of the world? Hedgehogs? WTF? Opens up the possibility of some corporate money as well?

Honey Badgers? They're a small animal from Africa.

Hound Dogs? I think of Elvis Presley when I hear Hound Dogs... what is our connection to Elvis? None that I know of?

Praying Mantis is too awkward, and Hartford Mantises doesn't sound right.

Why Blue Frogs? Why not Jumping Frogs if you're going the Twain route? (Obviously, Connecticut Yankees would be the best choice, but that name is kind of already taken...)

I lived in the Hartford area for almost 45 years - I've never heard of the Connecticut River, or any of the Hartford area rivers, referred to as "Hog River" - River Hogs? groan...

Screech Owls? I heard "Screech" and I thought of that annoying kid from Saved by the Bell. For owls, Hartford Hooters might not be the most family friendly of names... but, it is alliterative.
The Park River is known as the Hog River. The have a website and publication even.

Isn't the praying mantis the state insect?

I agree the names are dumb though.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:36 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
"Yard Goats?" Sounds like something you'd find in Appalachia .... (Sorry Appalachia - no offense!). Seriously though -- does not remotely remind me of CT, at all. Blackhawks as someone else suggested, or even Charter Oak's would be OK names. "Yard Goats" though? Yeah, nope. #fail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut