Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 12,685 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Conneticut from the Mid-Atlantic region (Maryland/Virginia). My husband would be working in Cheshire, CT. We have four children and want a safe, family-oriented community with good schools. We really like the beach and would like to stay within driving distance of a public beach.

I have read several comments about different areas on this forum and even armed with a map I find my head spinning. I believe the traffic on 84 is really bad and the Ansonia area may not be the right fit. Other than that I would welcome any comments about the area.

We are planning to rent at first. Our budget is around $3000 month max. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,730 times
Tell us how far "driving distance" to a beach is for you. There are many areas to look at. Your budget is more than adequate for pretty much all towns in the state. Cheshire itself is a really nice community for families and kids. It is about 35 minutes from the closest beach. Living in the town in which you work is a real time saver (and a saver on gas at over $4.30/gal for regular in CT)

Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Thanks for the response

I'm sorry for not being more clear. I would like to be able to reach a public beach in no more than an hour. Of course, the closer the better.

I think the challenge for us will be finding a home large enough for rent. We would like a 5/6 bedroom home. I know that is a tall order so I have expanded my Realtor.com search to include a 20 mile radius of Cheshire.

Would it be fair to say that most of the smaller dots on the map, not on a major roadway, are good family communities? I guess I am unique on here because shopping is just not that important to me. Schools and other neighborhood children to play with would be my main focus.

It seems Prospect, Bethany, Wallingford, Meriden, Hamden, and North Haven are all within a reasonable driving distance.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,730 times
Prospect and Bethany are more rural communities while Wallingford and North Haven are traditional suburbs, Hamden and Meriden are classified as cities. Most CT towns have good schools, the exceptions are normally the "cities". I don't know what you mean "not on a major roadway", but don't discount towns that are on the interstate as that doesn't identify a town as not a good family community. In general, most towns can be within 45 minute commute to the beach. Good towns too look at for commuting to Cheshire would be Berlin, Southington, Wallingford, Prospect, Bethany, Woodbridge, Middlefield, Durham, Farmington, North Haven, North Branford, and maybe even the communities of Branford, Madison, Guilford (though they may be a bit farther of a commute to Cheshire).

Since your housing requirements are unique, I think you will need to find the house first and then look at the community.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Many thanks

I agree, we will have to look at houses then areas. It helps to have some starting points. You have been very helpful. The list you provided was just what I needed.

I have not had the opportunity to visit CT yet so everything is new to me. Staring at a map of a completely unfamiliar area has it challenges.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaphant View Post
It seems Prospect, Bethany, Wallingford, Meriden, Hamden, and North Haven are all within a reasonable driving distance.
Southbury and Woodbridge are also not far from Cheshire, and both towns have excellent schools districts. Woodbridge will be much closer to the shore, and your commute to Cheshire would be on country roads through Bethany. You wouldn't have to worry about traffic.

If Connecticut's average gas prices at $4.35 (for reg unleaded) are too high for you, you may just want to look in Cheshire itself. It's a nice town with very good schools.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 AM

CT gas prices do seem high. We are at $4.00 in Maryland and Virginia. If we can find a home in Cheshire we will definetly start there. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Gas prices in CT are high because we do not have tolls on our roads. Tolls are a "hidden" tax and are often overlooked when talking about the cost-of-living in an area. Since your husband will be commuting daily you should try to stay as close to Cheshire as possible. Cheshire is a very nice town with excellent schools and you should probably start your rental search there. You also might consider Wallingford or Southington. Jay

Old 06-25-2008, 11:36 AM

66 posts, read 217,204 times
There are two nice rentals in Cheshire that come to mind -- one on Surrey Dr and the other on Lancaster. Both are within your price range.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Gas prices in CT are high because we do not have tolls on our roads.
So instead of non-residents paying to drive through our state, CT residents must pay 25-30 cents more than the national average in gas. How unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut