Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:20 AM

68 posts, read 81,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Anybody? Just need a quick answer.
Just look on a rental website. From what I've seen that budget can get you a studio or 1 bd at most at a complex. I did not verify if they were in walking distance. Found some private in-law suites by owners ranging from $975-1400. Room shares are about the only way to keep rent below $1k, but it generally won't cover utilites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 AM

20 posts, read 26,296 times
I would grab a Metro-North train schedule -- see if the schedule is to your liking. It may not be.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:24 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
live in stamford, it may not be one of the new apartment buildings but u can certainly find a room in an apartment or house for around $1000. I was paying $825 to live downtown stamford for 3 years

Old 03-23-2015, 02:50 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
I don't want to hijack the topic, but, I'm curious. Could $1,500/mo get you a decent 2br/1ba in walking distance to a train station in Norwalk? If not, what could I get at 1.5k? $1,600 max, if need be.
Too low for one of the newer places in Sono, maybe something up lower Flax Hill Rd area that would be walking distance to S. Nor train.
Maybe a 2 family in East Nwlk around upper part of Gregory Blvd walking distance to E. Nor train station - nice beach area community and much nicer than around Sono.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 6,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
live in stamford, it may not be one of the new apartment buildings but u can certainly find a room in an apartment or house for around $1000. I was paying $825 to live downtown stamford for 3 years
I'll check it out. I just toured Milford, and I kinda liked it, but not as much as I hoped. While I guess it has its charms, it felt too much like a beach town, completely dead outside the summer months. Also everyplace outside the immediate downtown area seems to be somewhat dingy looking, but I didn't see enough to properly make that decision.

Last edited by NikolaeVarius; 03-23-2015 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:07 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
I don't want to hijack the topic, but, I'm curious. Could $1,500/mo get you a decent 2br/1ba in walking distance to a train station in Norwalk? If not, what could I get at 1.5k? $1,600 max, if need be.
For $1,500? I highly doubt it. There are quite a few apartments that i can think of that go for $1,500 but thats for 1br/1ba. On the other hand, a 2br/1ba would average around $2,100. Though i do have good news for you. There might be some places by Connecticut Ave by the Darien/Norwalk border that offer 2br/1ba for around $1,500 but it will be a MUCH farther walk to Norwalk's train station.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaeVarius View Post
I'll check it out. I just toured Milford, and I kinda liked it, but not as much as I hoped. While I guess it has its charms, it felt too much like a beach town, completely dead outside the summer months. Also everyplace outside the immediate downtown area seems to be somewhat dingy looking, but I didn't see enough to properly make that decision.
There are some commercial areas right outside downtown that aren't pretty. But most of Norwalk is the same. Pretty much anything outside the Route 1 commercial area in Milford is pretty nice. The only exception would be parts of Devon, which can be dumpy. Anything north or south of downtown is really nice, the Gulf Street/Gulf Beach area, Point Beach, Woodmont, Morningside, Trumbull Ave, Laurel Beach, north Milford, etc. are very nice.

I would not call the town "completely dead" outside the summer months, but downtown is certainly quieter. Keep in mind as soon as temps start rising in early April all the way until November, it's pretty active.

It's not like it's a summer resort where the population drops drastically, there's still a lot of activity in the town in the winter months. Just not as much nightlife-wise, but that's what New Haven is for.

You should explore more, but keep in mind that Milford shines in the warm months. If that doesn't appeal to you, maybe Norwalk is a better option just to have the shorter commute. You could also look into Black Rock.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:05 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
your really kind of extracting teeth here. It's SW CT, not the French Riviera. For your budget there's not going to be much of a difference in any town. your getting average looking neighborhoods in either town.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 PM

7 posts, read 6,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
your really kind of extracting teeth here. It's SW CT, not the French Riviera. For your budget there's not going to be much of a difference in any town. your getting average looking neighborhoods in either town.
I guess. I'm looking closer to West Haven because rent seems to alot cheaper there.Is West Haven generally considered safe versus New Haven?

I will say that I've also decided to look closer at Norwalk. While the New Haven life interests me, the commute would be short, and I guess I could always take the train to New Haven if I really wanted to go out in the area.

The lack of room mate potential in Milford is killing me.

Last edited by NikolaeVarius; 03-24-2015 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 AM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
I guess. I'm looking closer to West Haven because rent seems to alot cheaper there.Is West Haven generally considered safe versus New Haven?

I will say that I've also decided to look closer at Norwalk. While the New Haven life interests me, the commute would be short, and I guess I could always take the train to New Haven if I really wanted to go out in the area.

The lack of room mate potential in Milford is killing me.
As I often say, it is usually better to live as close to your work as possible. Why spend extra time 5 days a week going back and forth to your job in order to save a few minutes getting to somewhere you likely would only visit once or twice a week. It does not make sense. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut