Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 4,788 times

Advertisements

Hi -- I grew up in East Haven in the 70s, lived in California for my adult life, and am now planning to move to New Haven. Single, no kids, used to urban life. Any opinions on the area around Chapel and Sherman? Have been considering a house purchase around there, like the proximity to both downtown and Edgewood Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 07:14 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
Not a bad area, but New Haven property taxes are extremely high. You would be walking distance to downtown New Haven; since you like urban life that would be a plus.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:39 PM

Thanks. I know about the tax situation, which is why I need to be in a relatively inexpensive area.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:40 AM

15 posts, read 22,916 times
No, it is a bad area. I wouldn't move there. (and right now I live in amity/west rock, which isn't that great of a neighborhood itself, so that's saying something.)
Look at this map: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed The neighborhood you're looking at is way on the 'not safe' end of the spectrum.
There is a reason the houses in that area are so cheap.

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsene View Post
No, it is a bad area. I wouldn't move there. (and right now I live in amity/west rock, which isn't that great of a neighborhood itself, so that's saying something.)
Look at this map:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed The neighborhood you're looking at is way on the 'not safe' end of the spectrum.
There is a reason the houses in that area are so cheap.
I kind of agree but I am a suburbanite who does not like to take chances. Your call if this is a safe area or not. Jay

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 12:58 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Right around St. Raphael is a pretty crappy area if you are talking about that exact intersection. All you have to do is go a few blocks towards Whalley Ave and things get better. In that area, you'd be better off shifting your search towards the Whalley/Boulevard intersection (Rt. 10) if your budget won't allow you to get closer to downtown.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the sobering info. Will be in town during April, will try to hang out on street corners at night to suss it out.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:58 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marakima View Post
Thanks for the sobering info. Will be in town during April, will try to hang out on street corners at night to suss it out.
Wouldn't recommend that...

Old 03-23-2015, 05:14 PM

158 posts, read 198,917 times
I think it is worth going and seeing for yourself. While it is definitely not the safest area remember this is not New Haven in the 1980s. Two big things are happening. St Raphael's Hospital has a strong and growing presence especially now that it is part of the Yale New Haven Health System. Also, development on Chapel Street / Frontage Road area is creeping up toward Sherman and St. Raphael's. Currently there is an apartment/retail complex being built on Chapel Street at Howe Street. Also, the world HQ for Alexion is being build in the Frontage Road area. The area on Chapel toward Sherman will likely become more in-demand and valuable in the years to come. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:39 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus View Post
I think it is worth going and seeing for yourself. While it is definitely not the safest area remember this is not New Haven in the 1980s. Two big things are happening. St Raphael's Hospital has a strong and growing presence especially now that it is part of the Yale New Haven Health System. Also, development on Chapel Street / Frontage Road area is creeping up toward Sherman and St. Raphael's. Currently there is an apartment/retail complex being built on Chapel Street at Howe Street. Also, the world HQ for Alexion is being build in the Frontage Road area. The area on Chapel toward Sherman will likely become more in-demand and valuable in the years to come. Good luck.
This is true but the OP needs to know that doing that would make them an "urban pioneer" and there are costs for being that. Sure you can likely get in on the ground floor of an up and coming area but also you still have to deal with the issues that going along with living a possibly sketchy area. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut