Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 07:35 PM

811 posts, read 1,729,315 times

Advertisements

I'm settling on the idea of moving to Bethel and buying a home there. The home will most likely have a well, but also town sewer system. I'm a bit OCD about environmental factors and looked up some possible concerns in the area south of the train station.

My only concern thus far would be the Vanderbilt Chemical plant. It seems like they've actually shipped out a lot of their operations to Kentucky but a small operation remains it appears.

Does anyone know about this plant and/or know about any environmental concerns in the area of of South Bethel, basically south of the train station for a mile or two?

Any concerns or things to be aware of with well water in Bethel in general? Would a full home filtration system be recommended if a house doesn't already have this?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 05:58 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,316,626 times
I live in the Chimney Heights section, and we get our water from Aquarion Water Company, and have rusty water from time to time from them doing some sort of work, and even worse in the summer when they claim that people are opening Hydrants to steal water (B.S.). My Wife claims that the water is hard, and wants to install a Water Softener......we may go that route this summer, at which time I'll also put in a Water Filter, but not a whole filtration system, just an inline cartridge type filter. We also have Sewer here, and it comes with a $22,000 assessment (average) whether you're hooked up or not.....we are not, and pay a separate yearly bill anywhere between $1,200- $1,600 for pipe in front of our house (Assessment), and will hook up when our Septic fails......cost to hook up is somewhere around $4,500 in our case, which is an easy run. There are in town sections that are serviced by Bethel Water Company, and I'm not sure, but wouldn't doubt that there are areas on Private Wells.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 AM

3,345 posts, read 4,127,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I live in the Chimney Heights section, and we get our water from Aquarion Water Company, and have rusty water from time to time from them doing some sort of work, and even worse in the summer when they claim that people are opening Hydrants to steal water (B.S.). My Wife claims that the water is hard, and wants to install a Water Softener......we may go that route this summer, at which time I'll also put in a Water Filter, but not a whole filtration system, just an inline cartridge type filter. We also have Sewer here, and it comes with a $22,000 assessment (average) whether you're hooked up or not.....we are not, and pay a separate yearly bill anywhere between $1,200- $1,600 for pipe in front of our house (Assessment), and will hook up when our Septic fails......cost to hook up is somewhere around $4,500 in our case, which is an easy run. There are in town sections that are serviced by Bethel Water Company, and I'm not sure, but wouldn't doubt that there are areas on Private Wells.
You are "required" to pay for sewers you aren't connected to and do not actually come onto your property (excluding street level easements).

Our first house was similar, but we pushed back until we ultimately connected. No issues/liens/credit considerations at time of sale either. P.T. Barnum maybe?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:02 PM

I know nothing of the plant you speak of, but can tell you that there has been talk of a Crematory out on Rt. 53......and if things go the way they have in the recent past, the Planning and Zoning Commission will give it their blessing without any regard to what the residents want....wouldn't be the first time they bypassed hearing what the taxpayer has to say.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:31 AM

34,642 posts, read 56,411,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
You are "required" to pay for sewers you aren't connected to and do not actually come onto your property (excluding street level easements).

Our first house was similar, but we pushed back until we ultimately connected. No issues/liens/credit considerations at time of sale either. P.T. Barnum maybe?
The town has to bond a lot of money to install sewers and pay for the treatment plant. Having sewers available insures that the home will not have any issues with wastewater disposal in the future. You can't say that about septic systems. The only way a town can afford to pay for the sewers is to charge those that get the benefit of having them nearby so that is why people get assessed extra for them when they are built. Why should someone living away from sewered areas have to pay for them? If the area where the sewers are installed has a lot of septic failures, the town can require all homes to hook up to the sewers. This is for the good of the environment and the health of the area residents as well as paying for the project. Jay

Old 03-24-2015, 11:45 AM

Just to set the record straight, we bought the house during the Sewer Project, and view it as a selling point. We considered the cost of the assessment the same as replacing a new Septic, but with the Sewer in place, we can expand as we please without having to expand on the Septic......and you need to have "X" amount of land in reserve when replacing your Septic.....not a problem for us, we have the land, but is something to take into account.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 AM

11 posts, read 29,598 times
I bought a house in Bethel eight years ago. It has sewer service from the city. Never have I had a complaint - I sometimes drink water from the tap and detect no weirdness. (Obviously that's not a scientific analysis, but I often notice an unpleasant taste when traveling elsewhere and was happy to find Bethel's water is fine.) Best thing about it is I still have water (and pressure) during power outages. And all this for a reasonable price; I pay about $80 a quarter for sewer and water. Granted, I'm pretty damn thrifty water-wise, and live by myself. (Ex. I do a lot of gardening, but have a rain barrel and rarely use the hose. I am also baffled when environmental tips like "cut your shower time back by 5 minutes!" are touted. If I did that, I'd be in there for about sixty seconds. The idea of people taking 20+ minute showers blows me away as a huge waste. JMO.)
Don't know if that's helpful or not, but either way, hope you find a great house, and welcome to Bethel!

Old 03-25-2015, 07:51 AM

34,642 posts, read 56,411,621 times
I just realized that I did not answer the OP's original question. They should contact the town's Health Officer for information on well water in the area they are interested in. Also they should have the water tested as part of their Home Inspection before buying the house. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut