Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:19 AM

519 posts, read 579,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Exaggerate much?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=CT573629709

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=CT576047097

Best properties imaginable? No, but a livable 4-bedroom house is far far more than 'nothing'.
90% of the homes on the market in New Canaan are priced over $1,000,000 today.

83% of the homes on the market in Westport are priced over $1,000,000 today.

Focusing on the bottom 10% of the market for $1 million is pretty much my definition of nothing.

In Wilton, for example, only 49% of the market are priced over $1 million.

So no I don't think I am exaggerating. (Data from Listingbook)

Last edited by larsm; 03-25-2015 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 09:19 AM

3,346 posts, read 4,134,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I did the drive from Westport into Weston on my commute for 5 years as well.

Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.1...d41.141354!3e0

The border of Weston to Starbucks is 3 miles, 7 minutes. Very few people live right on that part of the border, so I think the 10-15 minute estimate is pretty realistic. I have good friends in south-central Weston and it takes a little over 10 minutes to get to downtown from their house.
There is an even larger constituency of Weston residents that are 5 minutes from the Wilton Starbucks.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Also I am not so sure that being south of the Post Road means a home will sell any faster than those to the north. It likely has more to do with being able to walk to the center or the train station than being there. Then again the areas near the beach so maybe. Jay
Honestly, I think speed of sale is really driven by a) move-in condition of house and b) realistic pricing.

A house in our area of Greenfield Hill recently went to contract in two weeks (sold in 4 weeks as it was an all cash buyer). House was immaculate and obviously priced correctly. Change either of those facts, however, and the house would have no doubt been on the market longer.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:59 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Honestly, I think speed of sale is really driven by a) move-in condition of house and b) realistic pricing.

A house in our area of Greenfield Hill recently went to contract in two weeks (sold in 4 weeks as it was an all cash buyer). House was immaculate and obviously priced correctly. Change either of those facts, however, and the house would have no doubt been on the market longer.
I agree and as I have said, I love Greenfield Hill. I did look at some of the homes in the OP's price range there and there are some very ice homes I personally would buy in a second. Of course that is just me and the OP may not like what I do. Jay

Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Greenfield Hill is very desirable. Real estate is a numbers, not emotion game.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Real estate is a numbers, not emotion game.
I certainly agree with you: it's all about the numbers first, only once satisfied should emotion enter into the equation. But realtors (many anyways that I've dealt with) are always trying to get you to act on emotion and not the numbers!

Old 03-25-2015, 12:50 PM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
I believe the reason that so often Milford, Fairfield and West Hartford are recommended on this forum is that a LOT of people seem to be looking for this type of community. They want a good school system with a nice walkable town center and a lot of family activities in a more affordable diverse community. Milford, Fairfield and West Hartford meet these key points. Jay
I think some of it has to do with the recommending poster's bias over the preference of an OP.

That being said, this OP can clearly afford to live in communities closer to their jobs so I'm not sure why Fairfield is even being recommended. Yes, Fairfield is a great town - I looked at homes there - but the OP expressed more interest in Ridgefield and Wilton. Both towns are easy commutes to their daily job and not a bad commute to the city on a weekly basis.

Wilton would be first on my list, closely followed by Ridgefield. I would look houses in both towns and find one I like. Whatever town it happens to be in, is where I would end up.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:58 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,155,749 times
GH is great but lookers are looking first in Westport. Just like $1M lookers who work in NY or Stamford are looking in Greenwich before Stamford. The beach area is a different animal altogether, there are many people only interested in being waterfront and the availability is limited, look at listings for 06824 (below Post Rd streets) and 06855. Any condition home in that area sells fast. The crappy ones get multiple bidded by builders, knocked down, rebuilt and resold fast again. I know a couple of builders who won't flip in GH concerned it will sit too long for their purpose.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:19 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think some of it has to do with the recommending poster's bias over the preference of an OP.

That being said, this OP can clearly afford to live in communities closer to their jobs so I'm not sure why Fairfield is even being recommended. Yes, Fairfield is a great town - I looked at homes there - but the OP expressed more interest in Ridgefield and Wilton. Both towns are easy commutes to their daily job and not a bad commute to the city on a weekly basis.

Wilton would be first on my list, closely followed by Ridgefield. I would look houses in both towns and find one I like. Whatever town it happens to be in, is where I would end up.
The OP mentioned that Ridgefield was too far from Manhattan and thought that Wilton, Redding, Easton and Weston were too rural. I don't necessarily agree with that but had they not said this I would have said Wilton and Ridgefield immediately. The OP also said that Westport was too pricey so that logically left Fairfield. They also mentioned that they could not figure Fairfield out so I tried to clarify some of that confusion.

As for any bias, maybe but maybe not. I try to steer people to be as close to their jobs as possible and still get the type of community they want. Very often the old standbys of West Hartford, Fairfield and Milford fit their requests the best. You would not recommend Bridgeport to someone looking for good schools and you would not recommend Easton to someone looking for a walkable town center. So often are these things asked for here, these towns are the ones that most closely fit their needs, biased or not. Jay

Old 03-25-2015, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,946 times
Quote:
The OP mentioned that Ridgefield was too far from Manhattan and thought that Wilton, Redding, Easton and Weston were too rural. I don't necessarily agree with that but had they not said this I would have said Wilton and Ridgefield immediately. The OP also said that Westport was too pricey so that logically left Fairfield. They also mentioned that they could not figure Fairfield out so I tried to clarify some of that confusion.

As for any bias, maybe but maybe not. I try to steer people to be as close to their jobs as possible and still get the type of community they want. Very often the old standbys of West Hartford, Fairfield and Milford fit their requests the best. You would not recommend Bridgeport to someone looking for good schools and you would not recommend Easton to someone looking for a walkable town center. So often are these things asked for here, these towns are the ones that most closely fit their needs, biased or not. Jay
Thanks! Jay has it correct. It seems like the commute to the city from Fairfield is shorter than from Ridgefield. Also my husband works in South Wilton which depending on the exact location of the house might be even closer to Fairfield than Ridgefield. I do love Ridgefield and that is probably my first choice but it's great to expand the search a bit! I'm starting to like Fairfield more and more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut