Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
CT is not a very "masculine" state. Unless you like camping in your backyard, traveling to other states to hike and dating dudes who wear turtleneck sweaters under an argyle cardigan you may wish to continue your home search further north.
Could not disagree more.

Austin, TX is much more hipster- metro sexual than Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 29,262 times
Hartford is very Masculine, when it comes to masculinity I would choose hartford over new haven. I've been to new haven and have seen fems prowl the streets in hartford that is rare I've lived there and still hang out there

Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Could not disagree more.

Austin, TX is much more hipster- metro sexual than Connecticut.
I'm not denying that Austin has many dainty hipsters or preppy socialites, but it doesn't change that CT isn't "masculine". At first I was thinking, "Bronx", but the rest of his post makes me think he wants more "lumberjack". For the latter, I would recommend northern New England.

If it MUST be CT, I would say Hartford is the more "masculine" city, but I really don't find that to be an appropriate label.

If OP is young and single, I think he would be far better off in NH area as it is more lively and active. I'm not gay, so can't comment on the prospects of either city, but regardless the NH area seems better in a generic sense for a young single person.

ETA*** Didn't realize he mentioned in the first post that he has a job lined up already and there is no other state options...My vote would be NH for OP. Neither city is "masculine", so that's a wash, but New Haven has more to offer IMO.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:36 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
I think a distinction needs to be drawn between masculine in the "outdoorsy" sense and masculine in the "rugged" sense. If the former, I think you can find that in just about any area of CT, as lots of men -- gay or straight - are into skiing, cycling, hiking, running, fishing, etc. If the latter...in New England...only remote parts of New Hampshire and Maine come to mind. : )

Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 PM

13 posts, read 18,546 times
Thanks for the insight, I will be working in between Hartford and New Haven in northern Cheshire. So hopefully the commute isnt bad.... Google says 30 mins...

I am fresh out of college and know no one in CT at all, so from what I get from here is that New Haven would be a better fit for meeting young professionals like myself. Although, Ive heard from friends that Hartford has a lot of companies that bring in a lot of young professionals.
- it is quite the hard choice to decide

and just to say again... I am gay, but I do not do/enjoy the gay scene. Drag bars and feminine clubs do not appeal to me at all. If a gay sports bar existed I'd be there. haha and I grew up in a very unpopulated area - so CT is going to be a big culture shock in general when it comes to population size in such a small area. ha

Old 04-05-2015, 11:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
The gay population in CT has sort of declined in recent years, as many have moved to other states like Texas or Florida. There are not a ton of masculine gays here, either. It's just like any other place. There are some, but not a whole lot.

The gay community in CT is very small and everyone knows everyone and has their clicks.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The gay population in CT has sort of declined in recent years, as many have moved to other states like Texas or Florida. There are not a ton of masculine gays here, either. It's just like any other place. There are some, but not a whole lot.

The gay community in CT is very small and everyone knows everyone and has their clicks.
As a former CT resident I would say this guy nailed it on the small state bit.

I disagree on the lack of masculine guys part. However you will find most CT gays spread out and live all over. Because CT is a small state there really isn't a need for a dedicated masc gay bar so none exists. Masc gays will still turn up at the gay bars especially around holidays so you might have step outside your comfort zone to meet folks. You can also try more dating oriented social apps like okcupid.

I still like New Haven better than Hartford overall and New Haven has the perk of the more walkable downtown plus the gay bars are not in the ghetto. You will still be a "townie" to most of the Yale folks so don't expect to easily meet any smart masc grad students.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 AM

13 posts, read 18,546 times
I may have not went to an ivy league school, but I am graduating with my master's and landed a pretty good job at a fortune 100 company. At 23 I hope they are impressed with that. hahah

Are there activities in New Haven like a summer sport rec league or just even a social club for young professionals?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:23 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
New Haven has a large young professionals group: PULSE - Greater New Haven Chamber Of Commerce

There's plenty of sports leagues too. I'm sure others will know more.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Haven has a large young professionals group: PULSE - Greater New Haven Chamber Of Commerce

There's plenty of sports leagues too. I'm sure others will know more.

Heading north if OP ends up in Hartford there is a local professionals group up that way as well: HYPE Hartford - Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs of Hartford

If OP is already in state there is a new gay bar opening this weekend on the Berlin Tpke called Synn Lounge. Should be a heavy turnout but I doubt it will last for long only because a gay bar in the middle of nowhere is as terrible an idea as when the original Gotham club moved out from downtown New Haven to the eastern industrial end. There is also a brunch/comedy show up in Hartford on Sunday that should be very popular. You will find many masc guys at both events but you will still have to deal with non-masc guys and drag queens.

I mean this in the nicest way but you picked the wrong state if you expect a gay scene where you can hit the town and never deal with fem guys or queens =P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut