Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 06:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
Nep, have you ever considered Westchester? Scarsdale and Rye are beautiful towns and it's not Fairfield County.
You've gotta be kidding me. Westchester is even more expensive than Fairfield. Taxes are higher overall (income, sales). And it's more claustrophobic than Fairfield. I'm launching my job search next week or so, and if I do apply to jobs in CT, it will be anywhere in CT other than Fairfield County.

Last edited by nep321; 04-10-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 06:59 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
Can't believe I just read through 11 pages of this and no one has asked:
What exactly is your definition of "Gritty"?
Old & Antiquey
Actual dirt grit
Drug trade
Home invasions & car jackings
Gangland turf rumbles
Active hate crime groups
What?

I think you're obsessing with categorizing whole towns & you really need to roll it back to neighborhoods, cause none of the above is really a problem in any of the town's you're looking at. Period.
There is a reason that you asked, sure, but you'd be better served by the board by looking at neighborhoods.

BTW there can be individual households of idiots anywhere.. It's the luck of the draw who you get as a neighbors, I personally lucked out and my whole neighborhood has been awesome here in Seymour, which I'm kinda sad isn't on your list, but hey your loss.
Good luck

Old 04-11-2015, 03:51 PM

Today I spent more time driving around NHC. I would say it's definitely a livable area compared to FFC, for my tastes. I would also say that it feels substantially more New Englandy than FFC. The only area that feels almost FFC like is I-95 west of New Haven. I was also concerned that the scenery wouldn't be that nice, but I continually saw plenty of mountains, hills, lakes and nice forests to remind me that there is plenty of natural beauty in NHC. The area overall has a more normal, middle class vibe and felt less congested and pretentious in general.

As for the city of New Haven itself, the only good part that I drove through was Westville, down route 122. Then I went on route 34 and saw Maltby Lakes, which was nice. I also drove through the Amity section of New Haven along route 63, which I thought seemed rough around the edges. The East Shore section seems nice too.

So yeah, I could picture myself living in NHC, and the good news is that housing is affordable for my budget. Getting a job wouldn't be easy (not many accounting/tax jobs there), but I'm still considering pursuing it.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:13 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Today I spent more time driving around NHC. I would say it's definitely a livable area compared to FFC, for my tastes. I would also say that it feels substantially more New Englandy than FFC. The only area that feels almost FFC like is I-95 west of New Haven. I was also concerned that the scenery wouldn't be that nice, but I continually saw plenty of mountains, hills, lakes and nice forests to remind me that there is plenty of natural beauty in NHC. The area overall has a more normal, middle class vibe and felt less congested and pretentious in general.

As for the city of New Haven itself, the only good part that I drove through was Westville, down route 122. Then I went on route 34 and saw Maltby Lakes, which was nice. I also drove through the Amity section of New Haven along route 63, which I thought seemed rough around the edges. The East Shore section seems nice too.

So yeah, I could picture myself living in NHC, and the good news is that housing is affordable for my budget. Getting a job wouldn't be easy (not many accounting/tax jobs there), but I'm still considering pursuing it.
Where did you drive around?

Old 04-11-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Where did you drive around?
I went up I-95 to I-91 north, took the exit for route 68 west, then went down route 10 to route 42 west then down route 63 through Bethany all the way to the Amity area of New Haven, then down 122 then to 34 west.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:09 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
You did not see much of New Haven then, just the NW corner.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:10 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I went up I-95 to I-91 north, took the exit for route 68 west, then went down route 10 to route 42 west then down route 63 through Bethany all the way to the Amity area of New Haven, then down 122 then to 34 west.
You didn't do back roads in Milford/Orange or Branford at all? You should……all are great towns. You would prob like NHC even more...

Old 04-11-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
You didn't do back roads in Milford/Orange or Branford at all? You should……all are great towns. You would prob like NHC even more...
I've been to Milford and Branford before. They are nice indeed, although pricey. Probably can't get anything good for under $250K. But it's okay. In the past, I've been through every town in NHC, but over time I forget what they're like. But overall I think it's livable and I could certainly be okay with settling down there. Like I said, getting a job there is a challenge. FFC has an extremely strong job market for accountants. NHC's is weak, but possible. Although...over the past 4 months, I have had an interview in Waterbury and an invitation to interview for a company in Wallingford. I turned down the allegedly upcoming offer in Waterbury because the office didn't have a cafeteria. I then declined the invitation to interview for the company in Wallingford when the recruiter had informed me that that company also didn't have a cafeteria. All four jobs I held in my life so far have had cafeterias, so you gotta understand where I'm coming from. But now that I think about it..... I kind of wish I went ahead and took the interview in Wallingford anyway. I'm gonna have to overlook this, going forward.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:52 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
Uh yeah, cafeteria's are so 1990's and earlier. Lol. Please don't keep that as a priority.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Uh yeah, cafeteria's are so 1990's and earlier. Lol. Please don't keep that as a priority.
Why do you say that? A cafeteria is a nice amenity to have in the workplace. I'm not talking about just a room with tables. I'm talking about having a full service "restaurant" with prepared foods and chefs and food that you can purchase without having to leave the building. I don't actually eat in the café. I usually eat at my desk or outside during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut