Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 AM

21,565 posts, read 30,996,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No really, it is. I was just there last weekend visiting family of my sister's boyfriend. They live in one of the *many* neighborhoods that are predominately italian. This particular neighborhood is predominately "right off the boat" italian. His parents don't speak english very well and can't read or write it at all. No one on the block has a credit card; they pay for everything (including their houses) in cash. The people who occupy and own the houses are a mom and dad, who raise at least a few children each, and ALL the houses in the area are 2 and 3-bedroom capes on 1/8-acre lots. They walk to the supermarket, some of them don't have drivers licenses because they can't show ID to the DMV proving that they're citizens. Many of them are here on permanent visas and a few of them are still illegal, after over 30 years of residency.

That's just one neighborhood. Now go down to Main, heading over to the bowling alley: ALL blue collar. Mostly immigrant, or families of immigrants, still mostly italian but with a more latin variety, with a healthy dose of working-class irish. There's no financial wealth there, no mansions, no lavish gardens. This is more of a Christmas creche on the front lawn all year round district; it has its own charm but it still reeks of blue collar old-world christian culture.

The only exceptions that I can think of are down by Nellie Green's, the condos along the beach area, and the condos along Thompson Street in Foxon.
I'm not saying East Haven isn't working class. I'm saying it's no more or less discriminatory than any other town in CT. I personally find East Haven to be solid working class with down to earth, friendly people. My old neighbor in Branford owns two homes near downtown East Haven. I assisted him with some maintenance occasionally. Once, we stumbled on a neighborhood block party with people from all ethnic backgrounds (whites, some blacks, many Hispanics). We crashed it and had a few beers. There was pasta and lasagna, tacos, burritos, beef patties. All were wonderful, hardworking people. So yes I strongly disagree with your opinion that East Haven is full of bigots. I also find it distasteful to label an entire community because you (one person) felt unwelcome as a person of Jewish faith.

Also Nellie Greens is well into Branford, where I lived for quite some time. Not East Haven. That area, too, is more working class and extremely friendly. I wasn't a fan of my neighbors there but mostly because they were strange and antisocial, but not bigoted.

That all being said, I don't think the OP would find East Haven to be to his liking. It's solid working class, where people bust their tails to earn a dollar - the OP is nothing like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,158,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Branford is about the same price as Hamden for non waterfront. Milford is not much more.

Milford is a lot more to rent, but for buying it's a negligible difference and the taxes are relatively low for the area.
Yeah, I think Milford is just about right for this guy. Had a couple of friends who bought near the water there who would have loved to stay in Eno but was just too far out of budget. There commutes also being flexible were a big help.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:26 AM

21,572 posts, read 27,817,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well that's good.

I know for a fact that I would much prefer living in NHC than FFC. But I'm not sure how much different it will really be. I don't like the FFC vibe/culture at all.
I worked in the Norwalk area for years, and I find the vibe/feel to be different in NHC for sure.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:28 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,859,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I worked in the Norwalk area for years, and I find the vibe/feel to be different in NHC for sure.
Good.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,666,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not saying East Haven isn't working class. I'm saying it's no more or less discriminatory than any other town in CT. I personally find East Haven to be solid working class with down to earth, friendly people. My old neighbor in Branford owns two homes near downtown East Haven. I assisted him with some maintenance occasionally. Once, we stumbled on a neighborhood block party with people from all ethnic backgrounds (whites, some blacks, many Hispanics). We crashed it and had a few beers. There was pasta and lasagna, tacos, burritos, beef patties. All were wonderful, hardworking people. So yes I strongly disagree with your opinion that East Haven is full of bigots. I also find it distasteful to label an entire community because you (one person) felt unwelcome as a person of Jewish faith.

Also Nellie Greens is well into Branford, where I lived for quite some time. Not East Haven. That area, too, is more working class and extremely friendly. I wasn't a fan of my neighbors there but mostly because they were strange and antisocial, but not bigoted.

That all being said, I don't think the OP would find East Haven to be to his liking. It's solid working class, where people bust their tails to earn a dollar - the OP is nothing like that.
Those of us who actually know East Haven, know that there was a Nellie Green's in East Haven. It closed down a few decades ago and was re-invented into apartments, and then condos. Those of us who actually know East Haven, still refer to the property as Nellie Green's. It was a speakeasy during the prohibition and had a hotel and brothel. It's pretty legendary, as was Nellie Green herself. The building is on Short Beach Road, in East Haven. A friend of mine used to live in the loft over the garage/workshop on the property and I used to go crabbing off the pier there.

I wasn't unwelcome. But there isn't even a synagogue in East Haven - you won't find many Jews there at all. As I said - minorities are "barely tolerated." Not discriminated against, per se (though the hispanics might say otherwise about the police department). It is predominately white, predominately Catholic, predominately Italian, and predominately "barely tolerant" to anyone who isn't white, Catholic, and Italian.

Perhaps you weren't there and chose not to read about all the discrimination crimes that made the National news several years back - where police were charged with not just isolated brutality against minorities, but nearing widescale, flagrant, and in-your-face discrimination. Profiling - the NAACP got involved, it was pretty ugly for several years. And that wasn't all that long ago that it was finally resolved.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,859,352 times
Quote:
Those of us who actually know East Haven, know that there was a Nellie Green's in East Haven. It closed down a few decades ago and was re-invented into apartments, and then condos. Those of us who actually know East Haven, still refer to the property as Nellie Green's. It was a speakeasy during the prohibition and had a hotel and brothel. It's pretty legendary, as was Nellie Green herself. The building is on Short Beach Road, in East Haven. A friend of mine used to live in the loft over the garage/workshop on the property and I used to go crabbing off the pier there.

I wasn't unwelcome. But there isn't even a synagogue in East Haven - you won't find many Jews there at all. As I said - minorities are "barely tolerated." Not discriminated against, per se (though the hispanics might say otherwise about the police department). It is predominately white, predominately Catholic, predominately Italian, and predominately "barely tolerant" to anyone who isn't white, Catholic, and Italian.

Perhaps you weren't there and chose not to read about all the discrimination crimes that made the National news several years back - where police were charged with not just isolated brutality against minorities, but nearing widescale, flagrant, and in-your-face discrimination. Profiling - the NAACP got involved, it was pretty ugly for several years. And that wasn't all that long ago that it was finally resolved.
Well, for starters....I am 100% Italian myself (2nd generation). I am gay, however. So not sure if I would be accepted in East Haven then.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Actually I believe we're talking about the East Haven of today, not the East Haven of decades ago. It sounds to me that you remember East Haven as it was, not as it is. But thanks for the history of the community back when there were speakeasies.

And to put down a town for not having a synagogue is silly.

Regarding the police department, not one of those officers was from or currently resided in East Haven. Not one. And, while profiling in any form is reprehensible, the media failed to report anything other than stories which portrayed the EHPD in a negative light. Don't buy into the media propaganda.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:45 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,914,867 times
The DOJ determined that the EHPD engaged in a pattern of discrimination against Latinos, brought suit and the town entered into a settlement agreement with the feds. The media didn't have to do much to portray the department in a negative light.
Civil Rights Division East Haven Police Department Investigation

Old 04-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The DOJ determined that the EHPD engaged in a pattern of discrimination against Latinos, brought suit and the town entered into a settlement agreement with the feds. The media didn't have to do much to portray the department in a negative light.
Civil Rights Division East Haven Police Department Investigation
The media was all over the potential beating of a "Latino" by the EHPD. They didn't report at all when the individual was found to be Italian. They also failed to report that many of the "witnesses" we're not truthful.

I'm not denying a few officers from the EHPD were not profilers. Some were (again, who didn't even live in town). Most were not. But to claim an entire town is racist/bigoted is nothing short of absurd and the poster claiming this should be embarrassed.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:29 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,088,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The media was all over the potential beating of a "Latino" by the EHPD. They didn't report at all when the individual was found to be Italian. They also failed to report that many of the "witnesses" we're not truthful.

I'm not denying a few officers from the EHPD were not profilers. Some were (again, who didn't even live in town). Most were not. But to claim an entire town is racist/bigoted is nothing short of absurd and the poster claiming this should be embarrassed.
Wasn't the mayor's response something along the lines of "Tell them to go eat a taco?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut