Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:04 AM

8 posts, read 7,080 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I need advice on which areas in Westchester County and Connecticut that could be a good fit for me, possibly. A single, gay black male. I'll be moving out there alone, without a support group. Nightlife, culture, or any sort of scene isn't important. I don't party much, but could do those activities in The City, and meet people/make friends. The cost of living isn't a deciding factor. I expect the rentals to be expensive in that region and I'm used to paying a lot of money per month for an average one bedroom apartment. Finding a place for under $1300 a month would be good though. I currently am interested only in certain cities in Westchester and Fairfield (CT) counties and not thinking of New Jersey as an option. Any additional suggestions or warnings are welcome. I'd rather steer clear of urban areas that have high crime rates. I don't have to live in a vastly diverse area. I know for sure that being sixty miles or less from Manhattan is important. I can deal with a lengthy commute, but won't want it to be much farther than that. I've narrowed it down to these locations below. Small populations are fine. Don't need to be in a larger town. Living close to a Metro Train station would be a boon. I wouldn't plan on driving into NY often or at all. Any input on this subject would be appreciated. I know little about this part of the U.S. Making a move to New England is on my agenda. I'm burnt out on living in CA. Also, wouldn't be opposed to residing in Providence, RI or Provincetown, MA. Or maybe some great town in Vermont or New Hampshire.

Westchester county:

1. Tarrytown
2. Peekskill
3. Rye
4. New Rochelle
5. Ossining

Connecticut (Fairfield county)

1. Norwalk
2. Bridgeport
3. Stratford
4. Danbury
5. Fairfield

I'm looking to switch gears in my career. Being based in the NY Metro area would be the smart choice, besides LA, which is a place I dislike. Traveling often to The City several days out of the week will be a necessity. I really would rather not live in one of the Burroughs. I'm unaccustomed to life in the Big Apple, it could be nice to leave the busy environment and have a more serene home life out in a surrounding suburb.

Last edited by TheDraper; 04-06-2015 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Misspelled words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 AM

238 posts, read 421,094 times
You posted in the Texas forums. I highly doubt anybody here if familiar with Connecticut or Pennsylvania counties (unless they are a transplant).

Old 04-06-2015, 11:44 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,189,740 times
replace #2 with Stamford and remove Bridgeport.
#1 and the new #2 need to start at $1500/month though

Old 04-06-2015, 11:52 AM

35,006 posts, read 57,095,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banal View Post
You posted in the Texas forums. I highly doubt anybody here if familiar with Connecticut or Pennsylvania counties (unless they are a transplant).
The OP means Westchester County in New York which borders Connecticut. Jay

Old 04-06-2015, 11:53 AM

588 posts, read 1,322,569 times
Kind of a random list for Westchester.... Ossining is a sleepy family suburb and Peeksill is a dump, so I'd replace those with Yonkers and White Plains. They're both closer to the city and more interesting places for a young single person.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:09 PM

35,006 posts, read 57,095,967 times
I am a little confused. Are you looking to work in Manhattan and commute into the city on a daily basis? You mention other areas that you cannot do that from like Provincetown and Providence. Also when you wrote Stratford, did you mean to write Stamford which is a totally different town?

I always recommend that you live as close to your job as possible. Why commute every day any longer than you have to? That said, southwestern Connecticut (as is Westchester) is one of the most expensive parts of the country. You will be hard-pressed to find a good 1 bedroom rent for $1,300 per month, but could likely get a modest studio. Also I would kind of want to know more about the type of community you are looking for. Stamford is the closest city to Manhattan where you can find a good number of rentals. If you give us more information on what you want, we could help you further find a place to look. Jay

Old 04-06-2015, 01:04 PM

21,804 posts, read 28,185,347 times
Unclear here too. You have to commute often into NYC, but you're getting a new job? Not sure I follow. If you have to be in NYC often, Greenwich, Stamford, and South Norwalk are all viable options.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am a little confused. Are you looking to work in Manhattan and commute into the city on a daily basis? You mention other areas that you cannot do that from like Provincetown and Providence. Also when you wrote Stratford, did you mean to write Stamford which is a totally different town?

I always recommend that you live as close to your job as possible. Why commute every day any longer than you have to? That said, southwestern Connecticut (as is Westchester) is one of the most expensive parts of the country. You will be hard-pressed to find a good 1 bedroom rent for $1,300 per month, but could likely get a modest studio. Also I would kind of want to know more about the type of community you are looking for. Stamford is the closest city to Manhattan where you can find a good number of rentals. If you give us more information on what you want, we could help you further find a place to look. Jay
I put Stratford because I figured the rents would be less costly, since the mileage from NY city is farther. Is it correct that the rates decrease as you get away from NY more? I imagine that Stamford has higher prices. I've heard that Bridgeport is not favorable, but Trumbull is okay. It's more than sixty miles from Manhattan though. I'd be going there about 3-5 days a week for work, most likely. I'd rather not live more than 30-40 miles away, but will if need be. My limit is 60 miles from The City and that is the Bridgeport area or up in Putnam County north of Peekskill. I'll avoid any place that's a dump though. I hear good things about Tarrytown and Ossining. I heard that Danbury, CT is a good place too. I wonder if Darien is unsafe? I'd prefer not to ghettoize myself and live in a place that's gives one cause to worry a lot, because of high crime rates. A tiny, sleepy town is fine. I have a dull home life. I can get excitement in The Burroughs.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Unclear here too. You have to commute often into NYC, but you're getting a new job? Not sure I follow. If you have to be in NYC often, Greenwich, Stamford, and South Norwalk are all viable options.
I'd be moving indefinitely to the EC to get a job and go to school in Manhattan. I'd prefer to live somewhere in southwest CT or in upstate NY. I think that living in a burrough could overwhelm my pocketbook and shock my system. I'm a west coastian, and all that that entails.

Westchester would be up my alley, I believe. White Plains or Norwalk could be good. I am strongly considering one of the towns that are located in Westchester along the Hudson River. Sleepy Hollow, Ossining, Tarrytown, etc. I see that Yonkers, Mount Vernon, or New Rochelle are close to the Burroughs, but the danger factor could make those places undesirable options. I won't afford to live in an enclave where a CEO would reside, such as Greenwich, CT. I do want to choose wisely and not put myself in harm's way. I'm from a really dangerous place in CA, but I know it sparkles compared to say, Harlem or somewhere in Queens. Any suggestions on a decent town in the NY Metro area to relocate to would be appreciated.

Last edited by TheDraper; 04-08-2015 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: Misspelled words

Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
Kind of a random list for Westchester.... Ossining is a sleepy family suburb and Peeksill is a dump, so I'd replace those with Yonkers and White Plains. They're both closer to the city and more interesting places for a young single person.
Thank you. I like that advice. The towns were a list of ones that people told me about. Or some that I saw on a map, that aren't far from The City, in terms of mileage. I'd rather be sixty miles or less from Manhattan. And preferably not far from a Metro Train station. Yonkers, Mount Vernon, or New Rochelle are close, but I believe the danger factor could make them not a great match. I don't really need excitement, prefer dull and sleepy. That's why I assume the farther out towns would be a better match. I'll deal with the lengthy commute, to have a somewhat serene home life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut