Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:12 PM

173 posts, read 275,747 times

Advertisements

I take care of my mom, and we will be moving to someplace cheaper than Norwalk, and the Hartford area looks the most appealing. My mother never leaves home, but I do. I don't drive, so I would be on foot or taking public transportation. East Hartford looks to be the safer of the two, almost the same stats as Norwalk, which I feel safe walking around. I'm only 5 feet tall, if that matters. Would choosing East Hartford be the right choice in terms of safety? Also, is the bus system in East Hartford any good? I know it can't be as good as it is in Hartford, obviously. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:21 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,809,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
I take care of my mom, and we will be moving to someplace cheaper than Norwalk, and the Hartford area looks the most appealing. My mother never leaves home, but I do. I don't drive, so I would be on foot or taking public transportation. East Hartford looks to be the safer of the two, almost the same stats as Norwalk, which I feel safe walking around. I'm only 5 feet tall, if that matters. Would choosing East Hartford be the right choice in terms of safety? Also, is the bus system in East Hartford any good? I know it can't be as good as it is in Hartford, obviously. Thanks.
You shouldn't restrict yourself to Hartford or East Hartford. If I didn't have a car I would try to find a place within walking distance on the new CT Fast Track bus system route. It operates about 20 hours per day, slightly reduced hours on Sunday though.

I would also ask what services are most important to you ? Do you need access to doctor office, hospital, pharmacy, grocery store, schools, employment ?

If your budget allows Elmwood section of West Hartford would be a good starting point. Fast track runs thru Elmwood.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 PM

173 posts, read 275,747 times
I only need a pharmacy in my immediate proximity, the rest can be a bus ride away. I would like to have a supermarket within 2 miles of my apartment as well. Schooling and employment are not an issue, and our budget doesn't allow for West Hartford. We're looking for a 1 bedroom apartment, with at least 800 square feet at no more $900 a month.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:41 AM

34,801 posts, read 56,687,351 times
I would suggest looking along bus routes in East Hartford for a place. I am sure you will find something. East Hartford has a lot of what you are looking for. Check the CT Transit website for bus routes. There are no really bad areas, though I would be a bit careful where you look. There are a couple of public housing projects around town and the Burnside Avenue area is known for being the more problem part of town. Still it is not horrible like you would find in major cities. Good luck, Jay

CTTransit - Connecting the Community

Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 AM

2,490 posts, read 4,704,584 times
I understand your budget is $900 monthly, but I still think you can find something at that price in Newington or the Elmwood section of W. Hartford. Both have access to public transit and are safe. They're also walkable areas with main commercial streets that have everything one would need, including pharmacies.

Try looking on apartments.com or Craigslist for starters.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would suggest looking along bus routes in East Hartford for a place. I am sure you will find something. East Hartford has a lot of what you are looking for. Check the CT Transit website for bus routes. There are no really bad areas, though I would be a bit careful where you look. There are a couple of public housing projects around town and the Burnside Avenue area is known for being the more problem part of town. Still it is not horrible like you would find in major cities. Good luck, Jay

CTTransit - Connecting the Community

Parts of East Hartford are shady and getting shadier every year. Burnside Ave as you correctly pointed out is one area. I would also add Main St, Silver Lane, High St, Brewer St. On top of that East Hartford IMO doesn't have good bus transport unless you live next to Main St (specifically Church's corner)

I also agree with Mike that $900 per month for one bedroom is doable in Newington or Elmwood. I would chose Elmwood first. You may not find a one bedroom in apt buildings like you would see advertised on apartments.com but if you look for private owners via craigslist or local newspaper you will probably have better luck.

Also, IMO rent prices for apts near fast track are going to rise in the next few years. If you want to live next to fast track best to get in now.

Very few buses if any run after 8pm outside of City of Hartford, but the fast track runs until 1am. Something to think about if you're going to be out and about.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:14 AM

6,503 posts, read 4,909,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Parts of East Hartford are shady and getting shadier every year. Burnside Ave as you correctly pointed out is one area. I would also add Main St, Silver Lane, High St, Brewer St. On top of that East Hartford IMO doesn't have good bus transport unless you live next to Main St (specifically Church's corner)

I also agree with Mike that $900 per month for one bedroom is doable in Newington or Elmwood. I would chose Elmwood first. You may not find a one bedroom in apt buildings like you would see advertised on apartments.com but if you look for private owners via craigslist or local newspaper you will probably have better luck.

Also, IMO rent prices for apts near fast track are going to rise in the next few years. If you want to live next to fast track best to get in now.

Very few buses if any run after 8pm outside of City of Hartford, but the fast track runs until 1am. Something to think about if you're going to be out and about.
Main St runs the entire length of town, and not all parts of it are shady. I'd avoid most of Burnside Ave and Park Rd.

There are plenty of places within walking distance to drugstores and grocery stores. There is a large percentage of small housing stock in town that would rent in your budget (older P&W housing). Eastern Brewer St would meet this criteria, not the section near Main St. Forbes would be fine for the most part too. Silver Lane towards Manchester is fine.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Main St runs the entire length of town, and not all parts of it are shady. I'd avoid most of Burnside Ave and Park Rd.

There are plenty of places within walking distance to drugstores and grocery stores. There is a large percentage of small housing stock in town that would rent in your budget (older P&W housing). Eastern Brewer St would meet this criteria, not the section near Main St. Forbes would be fine for the most part too. Silver Lane towards Manchester is fine.
That's true, but if the OP isn't familiar with East Hartford I would avoid the entire streets. I think Main St turns into High St at least in one direction. There's a housing project over here too on High Court although it's small.

I would avoid all of Main St except the first part starting from Glastonbury line. Main St is shady at night. Although I think East Hartford has tried cleaning this area up in recent years.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:21 PM

4,523 posts, read 6,767,514 times
I grew up in East Hartford and have relatives that still live there. I would definitely suit your needs and has a lot to offer. I wouldn't hesitate moving there.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:31 PM

34,801 posts, read 56,687,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That's true, but if the OP isn't familiar with East Hartford I would avoid the entire streets. I think Main St turns into High St at least in one direction. There's a housing project over here too on High Court although it's small.

I would avoid all of Main St except the first part starting from Glastonbury line. Main St is shady at night. Although I think East Hartford has tried cleaning this area up in recent years.
I would have to agree with Wouldloveto that the OP should not eliminate entire streets like you said. Main Street is very nice south of Route 2 and north of downtown so the OP should consider it. Silver Lane is also a long street and the eastern end is actually very nice. Even most of it from Rentschler Field east is decent. Buses do run down these streets and they are not far from shopping so I think they could be a good option for the OP. I know someone that lives off of High Street and she never had any problems there but I am not sure if buses go down that way.

As for Elmwood and Newington, I am not sure the OP will find an apartment for $900 in either of these areas. They can look but I do not think they will find much. Another option they could look at is Manchester. There are a umber of apartments there near shopping and on bus routes so it could be an option for the OP. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut