Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 PM

184 posts, read 338,734 times

Advertisements

My family (myself, husband & now 4 year old) moved to the area last fall for my job, which is in Somers, NY. We're currently renting a house in western Danbury but we're scouting ahead for a different town with a better school district for when my son enters kindy in a year or so. We find that we spend a lot of time in Ridgefield, so I've been keeping an eye on the listings there.

In the past 2-3 months I've seen almost no houses up for rent that would fall within our budget, which is ideally $3,000 or less a month for a 3 bedroom. I know much of Ridgefield is affluent and too pricey for us, but there's a fairly substantial amount of more affordable homes, too. Do these just never go up for rent? Am I just looking at a bad time (winter / early spring?) I seem to recall that when I was initially looking with an agent last July/August that I saw more options, though not a ton. If our budget is completely unrealistic for this town then I'll need to start focusing my attention elsewhere.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 PM

21,739 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Rentals in general aren't that plentiful in Ridgefield.

Maybe this? 6 Barry Avenue, Ridgefield, CT 06877 - HotPads

Pushing the budget a bit: http://hotpads.com/rentals/51-Mamana...uping=building

Ridgefield is going to be quite a bit pricier than Danbury to rent in.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:04 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
Have you checked for Condo's ?. How about purchasing ?....there are affordable areas to purchase (I haven't looked, but have heard) that may be within your budget.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:55 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Stylo is right -- Ridgefield has a much higher percentage of owner occupied homes than Danbury does, so rentals will be harder to find. I would suggest establishing a relationship with a realtor in town who can watch the market closely for you (if you don't have the time to do it daily), and alert you as soon as something becomes available. I would imagine things move quickly in that town at that price point, just because it's a great town and there are not that many rentals to begin with. Good luck

Last edited by Lalalally; 04-21-2015 at 06:14 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 09:56 PM

This brings up another excellent point: is it required out here to have a realtor just to rent a home or condo? I was lucky enough to have a realtor during my initial house search process, since it was a relocation benefit from my new job, but I'm sure it was expensive. I'm from an area in the Midwest where it's not at all typical to need a realtor when renting. Do I absolutely need one? If so, does anyone know how much they typically cost--or should I direct this to the Real Estate forum?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:52 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
No absolutely not for a rental. One could make the experience easier though, especially if you don't have the time to focus on reviewing daily listings in a very desirable town like you're looking at. For a sale/purchase though, I personally wouldn't touch that on my own without a realtor in my corner, though some people do do it solo. But no, one is not a must/requirement.

I really hope you find what you're looking for -- Ridgefield is an absolutely lovely town, and Danbury-area is a great place to call home. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

P.s. On the buyer/renter end, it costs you nothing to engage a realtor -- the seller/landlord pays the commission. No out-of-pocket realtor expense or commission that you will personally be responsible for.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
You may want to consider a Realtor. I would think that folks in that type of area would use a Realtor to screen those that may want to rent their property......remember, you're dealing with Danbury types

Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 PM

I knew about not incurring Realtor expenses as a buyer, but really-- there is no fee to use a Realtor as a renter? That surprises me. In which case, I would definitely use one. It was wonderful to have that assistance when we were first looking.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 PM

16 posts, read 14,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
I knew about not incurring Realtor expenses as a buyer, but really-- there is no fee to use a Realtor as a renter? That surprises me. In which case, I would definitely use one. It was wonderful to have that assistance when we were first looking.

I was astonished by that too! In NYC, you can (and do!) pay 15% of the annual rent to a broker to find you a space. That the landlord pays in CT was a huge bonus, we will definitely use a broker. I'm sure the best properties never get listed, they are gone immediately. That's certainly been my experience in London and Brooklyn - although not sure how CT compares!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:05 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
You will only have to pay for a realtor in the most demanding rental markets like New York where they can get away with it. Here in Connecticut that is not the practice. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut