Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:38 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You're comparing one "small" city with all of New England?

You couldn't pay me to drive out to the Cape again with all that traffic. I'd head down to the eastern shore before doing that.
No, he mentioned one small city. I offered counterparts to it in New England. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 02:41 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Oh come on lol you never ever admit to the negatives when pointed out and I have made positive remarks about CT , not as much as maybe you like but I'm just keeping it real from what I see and experience that's all.
I always point out our negatives as well as the positives when appropriate. I have NEVER said this state is perfect, no state is. But I don't think it is nearly as bad as many here seem to always claim. That is what is real. Jay

Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
it depends on you income. If your in a low income bracket then probably CT is better because NC has a flat tax of 5.75. So every income pays that. It going down again in 2017 to 5.25 I believe. However if your high income or over lets say 50k maybe NC is better depending on CT tax brackets. However property tax is much lower in NC. But remember its not as nice as a whole.

The bottom line is there are good jobs here in The Triangle. There is a great small business environment and its thriving but as a whole the State has pockets of wealth and not overall wealth. Just look at some of the towns 50 miles east or west of the area. Its pretty poor.
I mean my issue with CT is the winter's, but can deal with that. Income tax it sucks, but can deal with that. Property cost and taxes well I can't find affordable housing outside the city limits that fits my yearly pay. So I am stuck staying in the cities of CT paying high property tax that drains my account even more. I want to better myself, but going back to college have to pay crazy amounts of tuition/debt where studies say CT tuition cost usually exceeds first year salary of new grads, great. CT caters to insurance, corporate, white collar, and Red collar job's. However, goverment does not cater instead cuts funding with out slimming the fat in departments with surplus or in the black with cash. So CT cuts funds to jobs in the police, corrections, social services, and health field. Additionally, large corporations here CT taxes and waste money to keep them while these corporations pay low. However, these blue collar job's are mostly diminishing in the state. Where the new type blue collar job of minimum wage job's in fast food service's grow. Many of these minimum wage job's flock to the populated city either leave w eventually or find ways to survive.

Most low income poor is situated in the major cities. In Northwestern corner same, but spread out due to limited job's and cheaper living. Doesn't have any kickback from bring near a major city.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:01 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I mean my issue with CT is the winter's, but can deal with that. Income tax it sucks, but can deal with that. Property cost and taxes well I can't find affordable housing outside the city limits that fits my yearly pay. So I am stuck staying in the cities of CT paying high property tax that drains my account even more. I want to better myself, but going back to college have to pay crazy amounts of tuition/debt where studies say CT tuition cost usually exceeds first year salary of new grads, great. CT caters to insurance, corporate, white collar, and Red collar job's. However, goverment does not cater instead cuts funding with out slimming the fat in departments with surplus or in the black with cash. So CT cuts funds to jobs in the police, corrections, social services, and health field. Additionally, large corporations here CT taxes and waste money to keep them while these corporations pay low. However, these blue collar job's are mostly diminishing in the state. Where the new type blue collar job of minimum wage job's in fast food service's grow. Many of these minimum wage job's flock to the populated city either leave w eventually or find ways to survive.

Most low income poor is situated in the major cities. In Northwestern corner same, but spread out due to limited job's and cheaper living. Doesn't have any kickback from bring near a major city.
very well said. Were doomed. It does not matter where you go. May as well just deal drugs.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:03 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

very well said. Were doomed. It does not matter where you go. May as well just deal drugs. We can stockpile money and Obama will let us out eventually for a non violent crime if we get caught.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:06 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Who said they were the same , I simply said CT has its rural trashy areas as well. So now we are comparing what trash is better then the other ? Lol get a grip please.

I don't care for Hartford at all , it's a crappy city. Now West Hartford is nice. Wealthiest in the nation ?? Lol sit down , you must be drunk. Every state has its good and bad and there are things that I love about CT as well.
I believe you said CT has rural poverty as well, which is most certainly doesn't. Period.

Yes, the Hartford metro consistently ranks as among the wealthiest metros in the nation. Look it up.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:25 PM

684 posts, read 812,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I believe you said CT has rural poverty as well, which is most certainly doesn't. Period.

Yes, the Hartford metro consistently ranks as among the wealthiest metros in the nation. Look it up.
Yes CT has rural poverty , have you been out east in the middle of nowhere? What do those small towns have ? Nothing buy low paying jobs.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:46 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times
According to 2013 USDA figures, the CT poverty rate in rural areas is just over 7%. This is much better than the overall rural poverty rate for the nation as a whole which is around 18%. It exists here but it is much less prevalent than most other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Old 12-01-2015, 05:03 PM

684 posts, read 812,295 times
Connecticut, the evidence suggests residential segregation of families by income is rising more rapidly than elsewhere. A study by Reardon and Bischoff showed that the proportion of New Haven area families living in either “poor” or “affluent” neighborhoods rose from 6.4 percent in 1970 to 30.5 percent in 2007 — one of the most rapid increases of neighborhood income polarization in the country.

Connecticut is a wealthy state with a relatively prosperous middle class, often ranking as the top state in the nation on various measures of health and median income. However, it also has among the nation’s highest levels of income inequality. Further gaps in income by race and ethnicity are well known, but the trends behind the uneven geographic distribution of income by neighborhood are less well-documented.

Table 1: State Poverty Rates: Selected 3-Year Averages, 1998–2000 through 2010–2012

Seems like poverty does exist in CT , might not be extremely high but it is there and has gone up.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:24 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
HMMM......... I see no mention of the blazing 90's the whole state minus the mountains had for about 4 months this summer. EYE OF THE BEHOLDER...rather be here weather-wise.
"The Mountains" of NC are almost 1/3 of the state's land mass. There's also the Outer Banks where temperatures rarely exceed 85F (Cape Hatteras averages 5 days a year, while Boston averages 12 and Hartford averages 15); Asheville averages 8 days over 90 each year; Greensboro averages 21 days. The weather in NC - except for the subtropical south coast, is more middle-Atlantic (VA, MD, DE) than it is Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut