Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:40 AM

19 posts, read 14,800 times

Advertisements

Great...I am researching now.. Do you have any recommendations? Found Brooksyde?

Patti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:41 AM

2,486 posts, read 4,685,850 times
I live close to Brooksyde apartments. Those are really nice, but they're small and offer basic amenities. Still, it's close to the center of town and there's a bus line right around the corner on Farmington Avenue that passes right by Aetna.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 AM

I also inquired about 777 Main St. in Hartford. Looks nice. So overwhelming without actually being there. Definitely need to find time to go up there. I really appreciate everyone and their thoughts.
Patti

Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM

Default Thanks Mike

I am leaning toward West Hartford. I think that will be better for him. He can have a car but also take the bus. I like the idea of having a walkable entertainment area. Feeling a little more focused. Can't tell you how much of a help this has been.
Patti

Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM

34,648 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Hartford is a large city by Connecticut standards and like any large city, it has its good and its bad areas. You would not classify Philadelphia as ghetto would you, yet it too has ghetto neighborhoods that should be avoided.

If OP's son is going to work at Aetna, I would recommend him looking in downtown, the West End or West Hartford. There are a LOT of buses that serve this area so a car is not absolutely necessary but is definitely better if possible (again just like any city). In the West End or West Hartford, a good location would be on or just off of Farmington Avenue where regular bus service is provided to the front door of Aetna.

Also despite what someone else here thinks, Hartford is not a ghost town after 5:00 PM. There is a lot to do there including bars, restaurants, theaters and museums. It may not be New York or Boston, but there definitely are things to do.

If you are still unsure of how to go about finding a place, you might consider working with a realtor. They will not charge you to help find a place and can be a great resource for the better places to live. Amy Bergquist is a regular here and knows this area very well. She has helped a number of people on this forum find places to live there. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-23-2015, 09:40 AM

Default 777 Main

Ok so I had sent an email last night and they all ready called me...seems beautiful Price is higher of course. They are going fast ( or so they tell me) Would obviously cost more He can prob swing it but would be tight. So beautiful that I want to move in. He is sending me pics of his unit (studio) Thoughts now on living downtown...can walk to Aetna?? Seems like a luxury spot.

Thoughts on PRO/CON

PRO - downtown?
walk to work
more night life?
younger crowd?
new building
beautiful amenities - fitness/game room etc

CON - price

Old 04-23-2015, 09:58 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,782,969 times
You've received some good info so far, and I can add some more.

Firstly, Hartford is not 100% ghetto. If you are unfamiliar with the city it will be a challenge to find a good area and that's why we're here. One thing you need to know about Hartford is avoid north end at all costs. Even if the apt is free walk away.

Aetna is on Farmington Ave. This street also extends into West Hartford which will have a lot of places for a young person to hang out and mingle. Farmington Ave on the Hartford side has a lot of places too and I would say this area is probably the most active in Hartford (barring events at the XL center which is downtown) at night.

Housing will be better and probably safer on the West Hartford side, but you can find good stuff on the Hartford side too. One place that has come up here before, although I do not have personal experience with it, is an apt building called "Clemens Place" which is next to the Mark Twain house.

There's a bus that runs up and down Farmington ave all day that covers Hartford and West Hartford. It's one of the busiest lines in the entire state, so a lot of people are using it. If a person didn't have a car Farmington Ave would be one of the best places to live in the Hartford area due to public transit options. Taxi's are also available in Hartford in case one was out too late and maybe drinking.

Maybe others here can help, but I think there are some decent apt buildings on Asylum St too which is one block over from Farmington Ave. I would avoid Garden St which is two blocks over from Farmington Ave & Captial Ave which is two blocks over in the other direction.

BTW, there is a big apt building called "capital view apartments" I think it's on Asylum st. Probably within walking distance of Aetna HQ, but despite that I would avoid it. It has bad reviews and has changed it's name over the years too. That building has come up here in threads before.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:13 AM

34,648 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskmom View Post
Ok so I had sent an email last night and they all ready called me...seems beautiful Price is higher of course. They are going fast ( or so they tell me) Would obviously cost more He can prob swing it but would be tight. So beautiful that I want to move in. He is sending me pics of his unit (studio) Thoughts now on living downtown...can walk to Aetna?? Seems like a luxury spot.

Thoughts on PRO/CON

PRO - downtown?
walk to work
more night life?
younger crowd?
new building
beautiful amenities - fitness/game room etc

CON - price
The walk from 777 Main to Aetna is about a mile. Whether that is reasonable or not is up to your son. If it is too far, there are buses that will take him there.

There is a lot to do nearby that location. There are bars and restaurants on Main and Pratt Street just north of there (Citysteam is a great place to hang out) and Front Street with restaurants, a movie theater and the wonderful new Infinity Music Theater is a couple of blocks to the southeast. Hartford's arena, the XL Center is just two block to the northwest as well. You should know Hartford is not a big city like say Philadelphia so there is going to be less to do but for a city its size, it does offer much. One thing that is lacking there though is retail. There is not a good market in the downtown area or any interesting shops. Major shopping must be done in the suburbs (which is why he may need a car) but buses do run directly from downtown to the malls in Buckland Hills in Manchester or Westfarms in West Hartford/Farmington. Jay

Old 04-23-2015, 10:41 AM

Default Wow Thanks Mr. Grompers and Jay

Great info..

luckily my son is not into shopping.. He will need easy food options and some night life. 1 mile is long in the winter so not as advantageous as I thought. Not sure we can swing 777 Main so back to looking at West Hartford. Thanks for being so welcoming and understanding

Sounds like even if he is in West Hartford he can bus very easily to work and back. Would save him a lot of money. No fun living in the city if you can't do anything.

PS My son appreciates you all keeping me sane lol

Old 04-23-2015, 11:57 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,906,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Housing will be better and probably safer on the West Hartford side, but you can find good stuff on the Hartford side too. One place that has come up here before, although I do not have personal experience with it, is an apt building called "Clemens Place" which is next to the Mark Twain house.
Steer clear of Clemens Place. I've known many people who had terrible experiences there and moved as soon as their lease was up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut