Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times

Advertisements

Illegal aliens are people too. They come from such DIRE conditions that they have no choice but to risk illegally crossing the border into America. Most of them just want a better life for their family and may have kids to feed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 07:57 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
They get free healthcare
So do convicted felons. It's called basic human decency. It's disgusting the way some other posters on this forum have said things "just let them die". Disgusting the way healthcare(a basic human right) is seen as a "handout". It's like calling the fire department or the police during an emergency and being denied because you don't have a "911 insurance card" and didn't pay your premium. Some incredibly selfish people on this forum that have no compassion.

Now you can say they should be deported because their illegal, but to say "just let them die" as some other posters have said is despicable. And the non stop ranting and raving about "handouts" from right wing posters on this forum is absurd. The biggest unfair thing I see is the income inequality that happens in free market capitalism that will get even worse unless some regulation is put in. That's what will help the majority out.

And let's be realistic, if you were in Mexico you'd try to get across the border yourself. But you can also say it's stressing out our system and we have trouble taking care of our own citizens so illegals should be deported since they entered illegally. That's another debate, but the heartless callous nature of many of the posters is infuriating.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:01 AM

25 posts, read 20,097 times
The whole immigration system is completely broken. It's one big disaster with no obvious fix in sight. Any debate, whether on a blog or in congressional offices, is bound to hit the dumps because there are about 500 complex issues with no clear cut solution which appeases anyone looking to get re-elected, or go home feeling proud of themselves.

Here are my thoughts/opinions:

1) The immigration problem does not only apply to people from Spanish speaking countries from Central or South America. There are just as many illegal immigrants from Central, Southern, and Easter EUROPE.

2) I have no problem giving I.D. cards to illegal immigrants. We ought to know who exactly is here inside the country. We may not like it, but they are here to stay. I.D. them and run full background checks on them, referencing whatever info you can from their original country and if they are undesirables so to say, deport them. But at least now you know who your neighbor is.

3) AFAIK, that new CT "DRIVE ONLY" program for illegals is not a drivers license. It is not a fully certified DL like the one you and I have. With my verified license, I can fly domestically with only that.

The drive only program was intended to offer courses and exams to properly educate the illegals who are driving on our streets. Again, we may not like it, but they are driving on the same roads as our children and we are. I would feel more comfortable if I knew they had a "license", because half the time you see them in a beater driving around town, you can just tell they have NO CLUE what they're doing.

4) Illegal Children.
Our kids live a life full of comfort, ease. They have ipads, bikes, tree houses, nice clothing and shoes, and generally no worries because of our hard work and ability to earn a living.
These children, aged 4, 5, 7, 9....these poor children are travelling 6000 miles on their own. They are crossing rivers, dealing with gangs and rapists, risking their life for a shot at a better life. In their country, they have no future, no life, no hope.

I know it's complicated, but how do we just take 1000's of kids, shove them back on a bus, and send them back to their eventual deaths or peril? As Americans, this being the U.S. of A, how can we as a nation, championed as the most prosperous, leader of the free and just world, simply turn our backs on these children? It's a moral decision, and I know if we take 1000, tomorrow there will be 10,000 queuing up to come over. I understand that, which is why I said this whole discussion is a dreadful one.

Anchor babies.
I know a family. Nice family. Excellent folks. Hardest working, honest man you would know. He's from Eastern Europe been here 14 years. Owns a small business. Has two kids, aged 8 & 5. The kids were born here as US citizens, and he and his wife are Illegal immigrants who overstayed their visas. He has spent the last 14 years paying ALL his taxes, complying with any and all local laws which ever showed up, trying to work something with his lawyer which would pave the way for him to get a green card. Nothing has worked so far. If you met him you would think this guy is what 'Merica is all about.

If they get deported, the kids have two options. One they can stay, and go into the foster system because they have no other relatives here, or they can go back to eastern europe and try surviving as a family of 4 with 20 dollars per day.

See the dilemmas these families face? It's tough stuff.

The whole immigration system is just broken. I have heard of complete gypsies from Romania winning green cards to come to America. They come here, and get every possible single government assistance they can while bringing over more and more of their families here, to keep on draining the system and its resources.

Yet I know young men and women, friends from a few years ago when i did a college internship in NY, who dream of coming to USA so they can study. Work. Make something of their lives. These are the ambitious, dedicated, honest immigrants we ought to be rewarding. These are the ones who come here, and create businesses which creates jobs.

I feel that the green card lottery is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. They ought to do individual interviews with potential suitors filing for a green card. See what their goals and dreams are. Reward those folks.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:45 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Lots of misinformation here, maybe I can clear some up.

Medicaid - You have to be a citizen of the US or Legal Permanent Resident of at least 5 years in CT to qualify for medicaid. This question is asked when you sign up for health insurance via the CT health insurance exchange. https://www.accesshealthct.com/AHCT/LandingPageCTHIX
Other states have more strict guidelines. So you can forget about illegals getting free medicaid.

There is basically only 2 ways for a person to legally immigrate to the US.

1. Family (includes marriage to a US citizen)
2. Green card lottery (diversity visa program)

The above options initially only grant visas, and you have to adjust status (i.e. remove conditions) to get a green card.

Other methods for visa(s) are
1. H-1B
2. Investor visa

These two AFAIK DO NOT lead to green cards. After the visa expires the immigrant has to leave the country. These are basically visa(s) that allow a person to work in the US.

All can be verified here,

Homepage | USCIS

To my knowledge there is no way for a person to obtain a green card without first obtaining a visa. There may be an exception for spouse(s) and/or very old people 79 years or older. I think the spouse exception was just cancelled, but am not sure.

I think a guest worker visa would be a good solution and I think it's in use in some areas of the US. I don't think any businesses are using it in CT though.

I do remember in the 1980's the tobacco farms used to bring Jamaicans to work in the tobacco fields during the summer. I don't think this happens any more.

Immigration issue in CT and US is multifaceted and issuing ID cards are not going to help or hurt anything. At the minimum we will know who these people are now.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:59 AM

25 posts, read 20,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

At the minimum we will know who these people are now.
Yes. Agree.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Illegal immigrants pay for us citizens. Sorry. Just the facts.
75% of immigrant households from Mexico are on welfare. We are paying for them its just the facts

Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

Millions of poor immigrants from south america are not benefiting this country. Sorry that's just the way our progressive tax system is set up. As Milton Friedman once said you can't have massive entitlements and open borders.

Why is this not clear to people??

Old 04-25-2015, 10:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Lots of misinformation here, maybe I can clear some up.
Other states have more strict guidelines. So you can forget about illegals getting free medicaid.
I took my son to the pediatrician one day, and an immigrant family walked in the door. They asked if their visit was free, and the receptionist explained to them that as long as they had no social security number, there was no charge for healthcare. So while they might not have a full health insurance plan, children at least are still eligible for free healthcare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
So do convicted felons. It's called basic human decency. It's disgusting the way some other posters on this forum have said things "just let them die". Disgusting the way healthcare(a basic human right) is seen as a "handout". It's like calling the fire department or the police during an emergency and being denied because you don't have a "911 insurance card" and didn't pay your premium. Some incredibly selfish people on this forum that have no compassion.

Now you can say they should be deported because their illegal, but to say "just let them die" as some other posters have said is despicable. And the non stop ranting and raving about "handouts" from right wing posters on this forum is absurd. The biggest unfair thing I see is the income inequality that happens in free market capitalism that will get even worse unless some regulation is put in. That's what will help the majority out.

And let's be realistic, if you were in Mexico you'd try to get across the border yourself. But you can also say it's stressing out our system and we have trouble taking care of our own citizens so illegals should be deported since they entered illegally. That's another debate, but the heartless callous nature of many of the posters is infuriating.
You quoted me with the above response. I never said "just let them die". My comment that they get free healthcare was in response to nep's quote that illegal immigrants would be "contributing", and I pointed out that they are a drain on the state economically. I never said they don't deserve healthcare, in fact I believe the children should get it. And the adults should be working towards becoming legal immigrants, and obtaining work.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 04-25-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 04-25-2015, 10:23 AM

438 posts, read 653,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hillary 2016!

Please!

Old 04-25-2015, 10:26 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
Please!
Hillary is crushing every single Republican candidate in the polls!

Hillary Clinton crushes Republican rivals in new poll - MarketWatch

Old 04-25-2015, 10:38 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post

You quoted me with the above response. I never said "just let them die".
I specifically said the "other poster" said that and I put it in bold.
The other poster was mr 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
BS...Connecticut "The Handout State."

How about rewarding the people that work hard?

Day by day this State makes me sick. All they are doing is contributing to the lazy people who think it's the governments job to take care of them. In nature, only the strong survive and the rest die. Let's put this notion to work.
Real nice.
Mexican's are some of the hardest working people around. Visit a farm sometime and watch the illegals go at it. They're like horses those Mexicans. They work like animals.
"only the strong survive" is a nazi way of thinking. They killed the cripples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut