Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:10 AM

5 posts, read 3,032 times

Advertisements

Many people leave because of the attitude of CT people towards others and their behavior. It is naive to think people are the same anywhere you go. Someone from MIDWEST and CT will behave very differently in the 1st 1 minute of interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:51 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
I haven't left yet, but the plan is head south at the soonest opportunity.....COL is too high for my retirement budget

Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzygy View Post
Many people leave because of the attitude of CT people towards others and their behavior. It is naive to think people are the same anywhere you go. Someone from MIDWEST and CT will behave very differently in the 1st 1 minute of interaction.
Absolutely correct. I have lived in the Midwest for years upon leaving the Hartford area. The cultural differences are shocking especially where the behavior of the people is concerned. The lower Midwest region (Indianapolis area in particular and KC less so) is clearly a different animal than New England or NY and in some cases, I don't get used to what they perceive as behavior that is socially acceptable. To most people in New England the anti social traits and also the over bearing personalities or getting into your business is perceived as low class. Minnesota was less of a shock in that respect and somewhat similar to our neck of the woods. People are a little more reserved there. Currently living on the KY side of Cincinnati and I would say while there are a couple of similarities with the people in the Indy region, in general it is a little less of a culture shock for me here due to the southern influences in the region.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Absolutely correct. I have lived in the Midwest for years upon leaving the Hartford area. The cultural differences are shocking especially where the behavior of the people is concerned. The lower Midwest region (Indianapolis area in particular and KC less so) is clearly a different animal than New England or NY and in some cases, I don't get used to what they perceive as behavior that is socially acceptable. To most people in New England the anti social traits and also the over bearing personalities or getting into your business is perceived as low class. Minnesota was less of a shock in that respect and somewhat similar to our neck of the woods. People are a little more reserved there. Currently living on the KY side of Cincinnati and I would say while there are a couple of similarities with the people in the Indy region, in general it is a little less of a culture shock for me here due to the southern influences in the region.

Do you view "not getting into your business" low class ? IOW, you want people in your business ? Your statement is confusing.

Personally I don't want people in my business at all. I want to be left alone. If a neighbor or someone in my immediate community needs help with something I will go help them. For example, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, cleaning up after a storm, etc. This doens't happen often though.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:40 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Do you view "not getting into your business" low class ? IOW, you want people in your business ? Your statement is confusing.

Personally I don't want people in my business at all. I want to be left alone. If a neighbor or someone in my immediate community needs help with something I will go help them. For example, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, cleaning up after a storm, etc. This doens't happen often though.
Perhaps I phrased my message incorrectly. Wrote it right after I got up from sleeping last night. No, I don't like people getting into my business at all unless they are invited so to speak. Buttinskis run rampant in the lower Midwest region. Big difference between trying to help someone in their time of need vs. people that pry into your personal life for details that they can and will later use as gossip to further their own uses and usually for negative reasons. It's definitely a deterrent to making friends or even dating. Prefer the company of existing friends these days.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Unfriendly

People from CT are unfriendly. For example, almost everyone at UCONN wears a baseball hat so low down to their eyes that they do not need to see you and do something CT people cannot do: smile and say hi. This basic skill is beyond the ken of Yalees or graduates of Wellesley. If you are new to the area, CT people delight in giving you the wrong directions. There are many dating services. Why? CT people cannot simply say hi to each other. Insular to the extreme is the norm there. I left to avoid these kinds of people and becoming one. But if you are from Boston you will feel right at home

Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
People from CT are unfriendly. For example, almost everyone at UCONN wears a baseball hat so low down to their eyes that they do not need to see you and do something CT people cannot do: smile and say hi. This basic skill is beyond the ken of Yalees or graduates of Wellesley. If you are new to the area, CT people delight in giving you the wrong directions. There are many dating services. Why? CT people cannot simply say hi to each other. Insular to the extreme is the norm there. I left to avoid these kinds of people and becoming one. But if you are from Boston you will feel right at home
I have not experienced anything like you’ve described...

Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
You expect people to say hi and smile at every person they pass? On a campus as large as UConn that could be a thousand or more people a day. People do not even do that in the Midwest. And the last time I looked, there are dating services all over the country, even the Midwest. I will admit the New Englanders are reserved but that is because they respect other people’s privacy. And we do not take delight in giving wrong directions. Makes me wonder. Jay

Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

In fact, I think CT natives are more genuinely friendly in everyday circumstances than their NY counterparts (me included)
And less gossipy about others (me included too).

Generally courteous people to neighbors; and not inclined to talk behind their backs.

Win, win in my opinion

Old 02-11-2019, 05:08 AM

Smile debating shades of grey

CTers are slightly nicer than NYers? Thank you for making me laugh out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut