Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:48 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I moved to NYC when I was 22 and moved back to CT when I was 23. Now I'm 30. I guess I matured much faster than most people, who seem to want to party until they're 30.

Word of advice: do NOT move to Fairfield County. It is EXTREMELY expensive and congested. Traffic is horrible. It takes me 40 minutes to get home from Stamford to Norwalk, on average, when it should take 10 minutes without traffic.

Just pursue West Hartford.
I'm like the reverse, lived in CT earlier and couldnt wait till get to somewhere more exciting later on in my 20s. The whole live and work in the suburbs in ur 20s isnt/wasn't really that appealing to me. It may be for you which isn't a problem at all. One of my friend's lives in redding at 28 and has since he left college, i really have no idea how he can do it, would drive me out of my mind. New Haven would be really at this point the only place i'd consider moving to that has enough stuff going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,055 times
Quote:
Yeah but maybe you are just an anomaly.
Dude... best pick up line ever

Old 04-27-2015, 03:51 PM

503 posts, read 530,588 times
West Hartford has basically taken over from hartford as the premier "going out" destination in the Hartford area. It has the upscale shopping, the best grocery stores, the best restaurants, the most appealing walkable areas. Your complaints of congestion and high housing prices are the side-effects of how desirable an area it really is. The congestion is relatively minor and not in the same league as Fairfield County.

As far as east of the river being cheaper, you get the quality of area that you pay for.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:57 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times
West Hartford has much more in common with lower-FFC than the rest of the region, minus proximity to NYC.

Sorry, not 'desirable' in the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
West Hartford has basically taken over from hartford as the premier "going out" destination in the Hartford area. It has the upscale shopping, the best grocery stores, the best restaurants, the most appealing walkable areas. Your complaints of congestion and high housing prices are the side-effects of how desirable an area it really is. The congestion is relatively minor and not in the same league as Fairfield County.

As far as east of the river being cheaper, you get the quality of area that you pay for.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:05 PM

503 posts, read 530,588 times
As an exercise: pick up a copy of this months' Hartford magazine and flip through to its "Best Of" section. Go through all the different categories of restaurants, bars, stores, etc and count how many of them are in West Hartford. You will notice that there is a conspiciously high concentration of everything good in that one town.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:45 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times
Yep, we have yet another 'WeHa' fan-boy here.

Let me guess...the back of your Prius is littered with something like this?

Old 04-27-2015, 04:51 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Well there you have it folks. This thread has invited quite a few posters who have shared their testimony that they indeed left CT and do not wish to return. My 90% figure seems quite accurate.

Therefore, I will now proceed to expand my job search to places outside of CT, instead of just New Haven and Hartford.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Well there you have it folks. This thread has invited quite a few posters who have shared their testimony that they indeed left CT and do not wish to return. My 90% figure seems quite accurate.

Therefore, I will now proceed to expand my job search to places outside of CT, instead of just New Haven and Hartford.
Your 90% is a fabrication even amongst the thread replies. Amazing that you work with numbers a few hours a day.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:05 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times

Just a curious question, but do you think CT will eventually turn itself around. Will alot of people want to move to CT again? Will it boom once more?

Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post

Just a curious question, but do you think CT will eventually turn itself around. Will alot of people want to move to CT again? Will it boom once more?

I doubt it. The climate simply isn't going to help. Although, there are other cold climate places that are booming as we speak, such as Columbus, OH and Minneapolis, MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut