Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times

Advertisements

Jviello - Just want to clarify that I-84 throughHartford does backup across the Bulkeley Bridge during rush hour and it lasts a couple of hours. Not horrible but very slow moving. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Jviello - Just want to clarify that I-84 throughHartford does backup across the Bulkeley Bridge during rush hour and it lasts a couple of hours. Not horrible but very slow moving. Jay
I agree, and perhaps I should clarify. Going West from the East, it will slow you down for about 5 minutes maybe 10 in your trip. That was what I meant, not that the traffic lasts for 5 minutes. lol

I go through DT Hartford from the East about 2-3 times a week between 7-9 am and I would say the difference between "rush hour" and not to get through is about 10 minutes tops.

I was more replying to the fact that the claim was made about getting through on the weekends! LOL

Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,969 times
Great info. Thank you!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 PM

12 posts, read 45,361 times
One point worth mention for those of us who live in the Farmington Valley and want to drive to NYC...we can head west and take Route 8 South to the Merritt Parkway - avoiding the Hartford/New Haven mess altogether. We have relatives in Long Island...and make the drive from Granby to the Bridgeport terminal of the Port Jefferson ferry in approx 1 hr 15 min on weekends by heading west on Rte 20 to Route 8 south. It's also a scenic drive. Anybody living east of the valley would undoubtedly opt for I91 South to the Merrit.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 PM

50 posts, read 185,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Tolland and Windham counties in eastern Connecticut are indeed the best place to get the most 'bang for your buck' for housing costs- all the towns mentioned above are very pleasant-close to Hartford and Providence, as well as the ocean.

Storrs and Mansfield are fine New England towns, also consider Tolland, Stafford , Willington, Coventry and Stafford Springs. Near the Rhode Island border Putnam is charming. Another option is Colchester, about halfway between Hartford and New London.
Could you post some links to these areas?, local newspapers mabe?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM

107 posts, read 147,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I would just like to clarify that there is no "bridge bottleneck" East of the river in Hartford that doesn't last but 5 minutes on weekday mornings...no such thing on the weekends exists short of a rare and random accident that can happen on any highway at any time.

If anything IMHO getting from the Farmington River Valley to 84 or the Merrit Parkway is harder due to no direct highway access and that negates any time savings via distance.

From Manchester you can be on the Merrit Parkway in about 25-30 minutes via 91 South.
I don't find it hard at all from the Farmington Valley. I-84.. is only in Farmington. NYC takes me under 2 hours in moving traffic.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 AM

164 posts, read 783,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
If anything IMHO getting from the Farmington River Valley to 84 or the Merrit Parkway is harder due to no direct highway access and that negates any time savings via distance.
For 9 months I commuted from Farmington to Trumbull - access was very easy as you hop right on 84 which connects with Route 8. If you're in the far western Farmington Valley (which can include parts of Burlington) you can get on the northern part of Route 8 where you probably won't pass more than 10 cars through Thomaston.

I think 84 to Route 8 is a heck of a lot easier than traveling from Manchester. 25 minutes from Manchester to the Merritt Parkway? Can someone say Lead Foot?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsoncat View Post
Could you post some links to these areas?, local newspapers mabe?
Housing prices east of the Connecticut river have traditionally been lower then those west and south of Hartford.

Both single family homes, both new and existing, as well as condos/townhouses
Prices are lower-best thing to do is to direct message me. I will give try and give information regarding what your needs might be.

I cannot give direct housing links on this open forum with a site like Realtor.com. They are considered advertising.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:34 AM

52 posts, read 176,402 times
I live in Manchester and am very happy here. We also have an anual Race on Thanksgiveing that attarcts thousands of people world wide each year.
Julia

Old 02-03-2008, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 13,810 times
We moved to CT 2 1/2 yrs ago from Georgia. Ww love it here. We settled here in Vernon. It is not a big city but is close enough (short drive) to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut