Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: University of Connecticut vs Syracuse University
SU 4 57.14%
UCONN 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 PM

660 posts, read 658,860 times

Advertisements

Ever since I started my college search, I have been thinking about and dropping different universities. At first U of R, but learning that it is a Division III School, not the best computer science program, and an Average SAT Score of over 2000 is making me drop this school out. My #1 school right now is Binghamton. That said, Binghamton is very picky with its selections including 1900+ SAT Scores and a 27 ACT Score and 3.8 GPA is pushing it for Binghamton. So unfortunately for me I am not likely to be accepted to Binghamton. Although I do have a visit there scheduled next week and am going to run with their Cross Country Team. I am deciding on my #2 School. Both Syracuse and UCONN seem very similar. Both have athletic programs and academics that are neck-and-neck and I think that they are both underrated schools. Anyways their average SAT Score is like 1740 which is lower than mine, and my GPA and ACT Score is identical to their average and my 5K time is around 16-17 minutes average which isn't spectacular. Both schools are also intense basketball and football rivals with each other (I was at that 6-OT game at MSG.) What I like about Syracuse is that SU is in Downtown Syracuse. I was up at Syracuse once when I was younger and Downtown Syracuse definitely was a better college town than Hartford. Storrs is close to Hartford although Hartford definitely wasn't a college town when I visited. Also Syracuse looks to have a better Computer Science Program than UCONN. What I like about UCONN is its proximity to NYC and Boston. But at least with Syracuse it is in Downtown. That said, UCONN's proximity to Boston and NYC is nothing since freshman aren't allowed to have a car on campus. So obviously it is a very tough decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
If the weather is not a factor, in your shoes I would give Syracuse the nod over UConn. We visited both campuses earlier this year...and spent a lot of time in Storrs in particular, and Syracuse is definitely a lot livelier. In fact, I shudder to think of what going to school at UConnn was like before Storrs Center was built recently. It's hard to consider Hartford a "college town" for students in Storrs...it's a 28-mile drive that's not that convenient.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:22 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,120 times
Syracuse. More personal attention.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:16 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,120 times
No one has mentioned $$$$$$$$. If your from CT then go to Uconn. If money is no problem for you then do whatever you please. Sure Syracuse may be "livelier" but there is enough around and about 20,000 kids at Uconn so if ur bored its likely you.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:36 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
No one has mentioned $$$$$$$$. If your from CT then go to Uconn. If money is no problem for you then do whatever you please. Sure Syracuse may be "livelier" but there is enough around and about 20,000 kids at Uconn so if ur bored its likely you.
This. Unless you want to get into journalism or broadcasting, I'm not sure why you would pick Syracuse. If the academics are about the same, look at the price. And UCONN wins on that front hands down unless you get a bunch of aid from Syracuse.

And the winters up there can be brutal.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Syracuse has a $39K tuition. It would cost you ~ $60K per year to go there. Quite frankly, your SAT scores don't make you a likely candidate to graduate from Syracuse with a computer science degree and the GPA that would allow you land the high paying job to pay back enormous school loans. If somebody is paying your college bills for you, by all means go wherever you want. If you're planning on borrowing big piles of money, the odds are high that you're going to dig yourself an enormous financial hole that will financially paralyze you for decades. Bankruptcy doesn't kill off student loans. You should be looking at state schools in the state where you live.

I'm also rolling my eyes at "It's a Division III school". You go to college to get educated and obtain job skills that enable you to earn a living. Who cares if they have a football team or a competitive basketball team? Get yourself admitted to the best college you can afford and keep your eye on the ball with your academics instead of worrying about sports teams or proximity to a happenin' city. If you think 1900 combined SAT scores are picky, you're going to have to grind out a computer science curriculum if it's worth anything because 2/3 of the people sitting in your classroom are going to be smarter than you. You're not going to have a heck of a lot of time for keg parties, sports, and hanging out in cities.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Apply to both, and in fact several other schools as well, and see which offers you the best financial package. UConn is less than Syracuse but Syracuse could offer you more in the way of merit scholarships so the total annual cost could be less than UConn. Many private universities have deep endowments so the tuition cost at Syracuse could also be comparable to in-state tuition from your state school. Good luck, Jay

Old 10-12-2015, 11:37 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
I actually am suprised about the change at UCONN. Remember as a kid in the 90s going up for basketball game it was sparse. However, went up their to look at colleges in early 2000's had grown. Just went up this year wow they are building a village in UCONN. With amazing new buildings the science building looks amazing.

However, think the hot school in CT is UHART now. Pretty nice cups bit too expensive for me.

Top cross country college I know they sat is Oregon. The legends went to Wesylan University Bill Rodgers/Amby Burfoot!!!

You can also possibly get more scholarship opportunities at a D2 or D3 school as well look at it that way.

Last edited by RunD1987; 10-12-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-12-2015, 11:44 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I actually am suprised about the change at UCONN. Remember as a kid in the 90s going up for basketball game it was sparse. However, went up their to look at colleges in early 2000's had grown. Just went up this year wow they are building a village in UCONN. With amazing new buildings the science building looks amazing.

However, think the hot school in CT is UHART now. Pretty nice cups bit too expensive for me.

Top cross country college I know they sat is Oregon. The legends went to Wesylan University Bill Rodgers/Amby Burfoot!!!
The state has spent billions improving UConn and making it a better class of public university. It is now pretty hard to get into. The new Storrs Center has brought upscale housing, retail and restaurants to the formerly quiet little village. It is very nice and getting nicer. Jay

Old 10-12-2015, 11:56 AM

660 posts, read 658,860 times
Both UCONN and SU cost the same for me because I live in NY. I am interested in three SUNY Schools which are the ones that have the best computer science programs.

Still doing research on Oregon and may add Ohio State into the mix.

I am going to apply to SUNY Binghamton, Buffalo, and Stony Brook. Non-SUNY schools I am applying to are UMASS Amherst, Syracuse, and UCONN. Am going to schedule visit and run with their cross country team before applying (I believe some of those schools don't require a campus visit though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut