Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 12:17 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times

Advertisements

This is my impression as well. In fact, the New Haven Register had an article recently that confirms the impact Yale students make on the New Haven economy. I'm not sure if it is okay to post links so I'll just paste the following and note the full article is online from 5/16/15:

Those whose job it is to make downtown a destination, such as Anne Worcester, chief marketing officer for Market New Haven, say Yale is “critically important” to New Haven shopping and tourism.

According to a profile of Yale by the Connecticut Conference of Independent Colleges, visitors spend more than $61 million annually, while students spend $182.9 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What I observe is very contrary to that. I see students all the time in lunch places, out to dinner, bars, etc. Many look too young to be grad students. When the Spring semester ends, many near-campus lunch spots and coffee shops become considerably less busy in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 05:20 PM

837 posts, read 2,082,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think some cities remind me of New Haven, but never the other way around. If anything, I'd say New Haven reminds me a little of Boston proper. A central green with the main government and market areas surrounding it (Boston Common and the State House and Park Street), the wealthy area nearest to the government buildings (Charles Street and the Beacon Hill vs. East Rock and the mansions on Whitney just past Audubon), commerce adjacent (Chapel vs. Park, all the streets behind Chapel vs. ChinaTown and the mall and Commonwealth Ave), residential/student housing (Beacon to Comm Ave and points all the way to Fenway, vs. Yale all the way to Westville).
I would love to see the City of New Haven offer an incentive in the form of a residential tax break for those who work in New Haven and choose to live in New Haven itself.

Also, I completely agree with AnonChick's statement. New Haven definitely has a charm to it much like Boston and Cambridge. Even my Bostonian friends admire New Haven and hold it in a positive light.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:34 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times
I just don't think New Haven is a viable option for many,many Yale employees with children due to its' poor public school systems. Combine that with its' high property tax burden relative to suburbs with great schools and it is a hard sell. Yale offers a program to incentivise employees to buy in New Haven (currently $30k over a period of time) and even with that most of my colleagues I've spoken with still don't think it is worth it.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:40 PM

54 posts, read 80,390 times
Yeah, that's the big issue. New Haven is going to continue to bring young professionals back into town, which is great, but families are a much harder sell. New Haven Promise is a great deal, though. Still, I wouldn't be in a rush to put my kids in the NHPS system, unless maybe I lived in East Rock.

Hopefully the younger ones without kids will move here, and increase the tax base and help the economy in general. Hopefully that'll mean more money for schools. That won't necessarily fix things, but it'll probably help. I'm guessing the city loves young professionals without kids because they don't put a burden on the school system, but still indirectly pay taxes. The higher the ratio of earners to children the better, I'd imagine. The downside, though, is that they make less money than do older workers with kids.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:23 PM

837 posts, read 2,082,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucareshokiesrul View Post
Yeah, that's the big issue. New Haven is going to continue to bring young professionals back into town, which is great, but families are a much harder sell. New Haven Promise is a great deal, though. Still, I wouldn't be in a rush to put my kids in the NHPS system, unless maybe I lived in East Rock.

Hopefully the younger ones without kids will move here, and increase the tax base and help the economy in general. Hopefully that'll mean more money for schools. That won't necessarily fix things, but it'll probably help. I'm guessing the city loves young professionals without kids because they don't put a burden on the school system, but still indirectly pay taxes. The higher the ratio of earners to children the better, I'd imagine. The downside, though, is that they make less money than do older workers with kids.
That holds true in many cities though - not just New Haven. Younger folks flock into an urban environment for the active nightlife and job opportunities, but they migrate outward into the suburbs when they start a family.

With many 20-somethings and early 30-somethings delaying to start a family until their later years, I think New Haven has a viable opportunity at capturing this demographic.

IMO, what New Haven also needs is a boost in its variety of employers. Aside from the Yale community, the amount of businesses is still a bit lacking compared to Stamford and Hartford. The city's overall growth will remain bottlenecked until it figures out how to spur non-Yale economic growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut