Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

The Republicans are once again airing their plan for transportation in our state. Sadly it ignores the core problem with transportation funding and proposes to continue Bonding of major transportation projects. How does going into deeper debt solve a revenue issue? They also call for public/private partnerships, however most of those still require a dedicated revenue source and many involve tolls. Heck the example that Bob Stefanowski cited during the election was a toll road. Also note that $65 billion seems like a lot of money but I believe that is not much more than current spending levels and when you add in inflation over that time, it is likely less. Jay

CT GOP calls for transportation investment, public-private partnerships, outsourcing | HartfordBusiness.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 08:25 AM

Lamont's new budget proposal is going to include two options for tolling. One would toll only trucks similar to what Rhode Island is doing. The other would toll all vehicles and offer discounts to state residents. His goal is to obtain 50 percent of the revenue from out-of-state drivers. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...s-13621840.php

Old 02-16-2019, 10:13 AM

709 posts, read 401,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Lamont's new budget proposal is going to include two options for tolling. One would toll only trucks similar to what Rhode Island is doing. The other would toll all vehicles and offer discounts to state residents. His goal is to obtain 50 percent of the revenue from out-of-state drivers. Jay

I think I need to change my username after seeing this article. Tolls are the nail in the coffin for a lot of people. What a big time liar you became today Governor.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:28 AM

205 posts, read 162,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamonYallCTaintThatBad View Post
I think I need to change my username after seeing this article. Tolls are the nail in the coffin for a lot of people. What a big time liar you became today Governor.
Anyone who didn't see this coming from 100,000 miles away is either blind, the designated sucker of the minute that they were born (to borrow a concept of a famous CT native), or as truthful as the governor himself. I warned people about the new nickel and diming we'd see if we elected Malloy 2.0. Taxes on every aspect of your life. And yes, tolls are a tax, and we pay for it with income that has already been taxed at the federal and state level. And now as end users of products, we'll assume the cost of tolls in the goods that we purchase. Apparently, the term "cut spending" is something that is in some weird extraterrestrial language to Democrats.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:53 AM

709 posts, read 401,897 times
I really wish the GOP chairman and other top state Republicans threw their support behind Mark Boughton after he won the convention. But instead, 5 candidates were in play and Bob Stefanowski won the primary - one of the weaker ones of the 5 in my opinion. Dude had no clue what he was doing and couldn't say anything unless it was "cut taxes" - wow what a bustling personality he had. If Mark Boughton ended up being the nom I believe he would have defeated Ned. Meaning he would have veto powers over these business crushing minimum wage increase proposals and tolls. Great one CT voters of both parties - you reap what you sow.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:25 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:

The trucking industry has sued the state of Rhode Island regarding only tolling trucks. The case hasn't been settled yet to my knowledge.

One of the few times I listened to WPLR with chaz and AJ they brought this up in an interview they had with Lamont and he didn't have an answer. If Rhode Island loses the case CT won't be able to toll only trucks which means every one or no one will be paying tolls in the future.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The trucking industry has sued the state of Rhode Island regarding only tolling trucks. The case hasn't been settled yet to my knowledge.

One of the few times I listened to WPLR with chaz and AJ they brought this up in an interview they had with Lamont and he didn't have an answer. If Rhode Island loses the case CT won't be able to toll only trucks which means every one or no one will be paying tolls in the future.
I am sure Lamont knows what is going on in Rhode Island which is likely why he is proposing both. During his campaign he was pretty clear about his support of tolls. His support of truck only tolls came later. I think his goal of 50 percent of toll revenue coming from out of state drivers is admirable but I am not sure it is realistic. It does mean that Connecticut residents will be given a discount on tolls. Jay

Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 PM

This raises a good point. How can the state keep its transportation program going if it cuts back on bonding that the program relies on? Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2019/02/19/will...ceipts-arrive/

Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
This raises a good point. How can the state keep its transportation program going if it cuts back on bonding that the program relies on? Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2019/02/19/will...ceipts-arrive/
I see the point but As I have said before the only way we get out of the financial mess is to reign in spending and borrowing. We will just have to be very diligent on what money transportation gets. Hopefully a few years of spending reductions will allow for better returns in the future.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Hopefully a few years of spending reductions will allow for better returns in the future.
While I'm not for make work projects, but seriously I've poured over numerous Spending Statements from the state over the years and I really do not see where there is "fat to cut." ConnDOT has been bare bones for over a decade and a half until recently, pushing off much needed projects to the point where repair costs have ballooned and to be frank pose significant safety concerns.

Most people that make the claim that there's some big pit of money we burn every year for no purpose generally cannot articulate the numbers, instead rely on wildly questionable anecdotes.

The only thing really would to bring construction back under ConnDOT for our interstate system directly like it was before Roland, but anytime that gets proposed hooooo boy does the howling seem to start. The other would help develop a mid state east-west light or heavy commuter line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut