Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 05:49 AM

996 posts, read 378,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The heads of some of the state’s biggest employers are lining up behind Governor Lamont’s CT2030 Transportation Plan. Now if only the weak and small minded politicians would follow. Jay

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...bx4-story.html

I'll keep voting for and supporting those " weak and small minded politicians" that are trying to prevent the taxpayers from getting their pockets picked again and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 09:07 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
I'll keep voting for and supporting those " weak and small minded politicians" that are trying to prevent the taxpayers from getting their pockets picked again and again.
That is your choice but be aware that this also means continuing the piecemeal approach to transportation and continued congestion on our highways. It will also likely mean that the gas tax will be raised significantly in the next ten years and that raise will be virtually entirely paid by Connecticut taxpayers. This will also impact our economy as businesses will be reluctant to locate or expand here because of the inability of their workers and suppliers to access their facilities. To me this is far worse than adding tolls on key bridges where at least a portion of the cost will be paid by out of state drivers. Next time you are sitting in traffic and thinking “someone should do something”, remember why nothing has been done. This is the reason. Jay

Old 11-13-2019, 09:15 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Ok. But for a moment let's ignore the fact that even with property taxes CT is one of the lowest by percentage taxing states, the I95/84/91 corridors the the secondary highway network are at a complete system failure. How do you propose we fix it? And with what monies?

Old 11-13-2019, 09:43 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Ok. But for a moment let's ignore the fact that even with property taxes CT is one of the lowest by percentage taxing states...
Source?

Old 11-13-2019, 09:50 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
So what do posters here feel are transit improvements that were left out of the 2030 plan that you think should have been included?

Old 11-13-2019, 10:25 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Source?
I've posted apples to apples comparisons so often I think it's redundant. CT has a sane sales tax code that does not allow for secondary additions for other governmental layers such as county, city, or special district. Property taxes in CT are actually fairly low by percentage compared to other parts of the country, property prices are higher in general so the sticker may be higher but the percentage is usually lower on similarly priced properties. CT's business taxes and income taxes have a high statutory rate but are somewhat generous with deductions allowed unlike other states. It's not the absolute lowest (which I would imagine is Alaska, but common goods are outrageously expensive) but CT's is far more upfront and uniform on State and local taxes than most of the country.

But still I'm interested how the anti new tax/no tolls posters would conceive of a way to fix our roads without new revenue.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Ok. But for a moment let's ignore the fact that even with property taxes CT is one of the lowest by percentage taxing states, the I95/84/91 corridors the the secondary highway network are at a complete system failure. How do you propose we fix it? And with what monies?
A good start would be to remove the Democrats who have been spending like drunken sailors. Isn't it about time CT voters were smart enough to give someone else a try ? The "Transportation Future " is just the latest pilfering from the taxpayers to feed their insatiable appetite to spend. How many more billion dollar tax increases will it take ? Take a look at how certain percentages of specific spending increased since the Income Tax was put in place for a tutorial as to where the money might be.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is your choice but be aware that this also means continuing the piecemeal approach to transportation and continued congestion on our highways. It will also likely mean that the gas tax will be raised significantly in the next ten years and that raise will be virtually entirely paid by Connecticut taxpayers. This will also impact our economy as businesses will be reluctant to locate or expand here because of the inability of their workers and suppliers to access their facilities. To me this is far worse than adding tolls on key bridges where at least a portion of the cost will be paid by out of state drivers. Next time you are sitting in traffic and thinking “someone should do something”, remember why nothing has been done. This is the reason. Jay
Well I really don't sit in traffic that much at all. Those days are behind me. My experience however tells me that if you are in a constant battle on a daily basis regarding transportation issues , and it troubles you or negatively affects your life, the simple solution is avoidance. We still have free will in this country, however IMO most of the complaints of traffic congestion and inconvenience in CT are overblown compared to elsewhere.

If you think that the Government is going to fix the problem, I could name a myriad of situations in CT that have appeared to be a continued " solution" to a problem that never gets solved. I remember quite well Waterbury I 84 and RT 8 interchange in the early 1970's and all the construction. How many times has that area been worked on? Over and over again. Didn't they actually even have to go back because the contractor didn't connect the drainage system at one time ?

Why should CT taxpayers have to continue to pay more and more for poor planning, inadequate designs, lobbyists, and filling the trough of State Employees?

Last edited by Fuele; 11-13-2019 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 11:11 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
A good start would be to remove the Democrats who have been spending like drunken sailors. Isn't it about time CT voters were smart enough to give someone else a try ? The "Transportation Future " is just the latest pilfering from the taxpayers to feed their insatiable appetite to spend. How many more billion dollar tax increases will it take ? Take a look at how certain percentages of specific spending increased since the Income Tax was put in place for a tutorial as to where the money might be.
The 20 years of Republican Governors we had before Malloy weren’t particularly kind to our state either. Rowland was corrupt and Rell borrowed money to balance her budget. And remember it was Lowell Weicker, a a Republican before being elected Governor, that gave us the income tax to begin with.

The Republicans like to talk fiscal responsibility but the truth is they are no better. Just look at their transportation plan, Prioritize Progress. It borrows billions but does not have a real, sustainable way to pay for it. Do you really think we can put off all other borrowing for 30 years to prioritize transportation funding? Do you really think we won’t be forced to significantly increase the gas tax in that time? Simple logic says otherwise.

And if the Republicans are so concerned, why then did they not propose an alternative budget this year? Instead the bunch of naysayers just stood there with empty hands saying the Democrats budget was bad. How about doing the job you were elected to do and try to work with the other side to at least develop a compromise? Jay

Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
I've posted apples to apples comparisons so often I think it's redundant. CT has a sane sales tax code that does not allow for secondary additions for other governmental layers such as county, city, or special district. Property taxes in CT are actually fairly low by percentage compared to other parts of the country, property prices are higher in general so the sticker may be higher but the percentage is usually lower on similarly priced properties. CT's business taxes and income taxes have a high statutory rate but are somewhat generous with deductions allowed unlike other states. It's not the absolute lowest (which I would imagine is Alaska, but common goods are outrageously expensive) but CT's is far more upfront and uniform on State and local taxes than most of the country.

But still I'm interested how the anti new tax/no tolls posters would conceive of a way to fix our roads without new revenue.
Connecticut ranks 8 in overall tax burden by percentage (property, income and sales), and that doesn’t include car tax. Your comment that CT is one of the lowest taxing states is incorrect. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
If it's true that it's to add a second lane to the route 8 exit than I am for it. However that extra lane doesn't need to start all the way back in Southport.
Well, it depends. Would that be a through lane or would it allow access on and off the highway? If it’s a through lane, I agree, from Southport to 27a is far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut