Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 01:31 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
NYSDOT maintains it, but CTDOT reimburses them for it.
For 100% of the cost? Source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 05:51 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
Not a single truck has taken a local road to avoid a toll? Doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Trucks have not been usnig local roads to skirt the tolls in Rhode Island.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:21 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, I hope they enjoy it while they can. Rhode Island is about to lose a court case after trying to toll trucks only. That’s why I bring this up.

You can criticize Len Fasano for his views, but you really think Lamont’s ideas are any better? His solution is the same as every other politician before him: refuse to cut spending and pass costs onto taxpayers. People are tired of expected to be the safety net for this state — especially when they get nothing in return. That’s primarily why people are leaving this state.
I’m not sure why you think Rhode Island is going to lose. The trucking industry lawsuit was initially dismissed. All that has happened is a judges panel agreed the dismissal could be appealed. They are still fighting over whether the lawsuit should be heard in federal or state court. That does not mean the lawsuit can be won.

https://www.theday.com/article/20200103/NWS12/200109788

I criticize Fasano because he always has criticism but never a solution. This is why the Connecticut Republican Party keeps failing here. As a Republican, I am appalled and tired by this.

And no, as has been shown MANY times on this forum, the primary reason people are leaving the state is retirees moving to warmer weather climates. Even then, this is a small number. The vast majority actually stay here in retirement. Jay

Old 01-29-2020, 09:11 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Not a single truck has taken a local road to avoid a toll? Doubtful.
I don't know about "a single truck," but you don't see a parade of trucks along Route 3 between exits 1 and 5, which would be a really easy bypass around two toll gantries.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not sure why you think Rhode Island is going to lose. The trucking industry lawsuit was initially dismissed. All that has happened is a judges panel agreed the dismissal could be appealed. They are still fighting over whether the lawsuit should be heard in federal or state court. That does not mean the lawsuit can be won.

https://www.theday.com/article/20200103/NWS12/200109788

I criticize Fasano because he always has criticism but never a solution. This is why the Connecticut Republican Party keeps failing here. As a Republican, I am appalled and tired by this.

And no, as has been shown MANY times on this forum, the primary reason people are leaving the state is retirees moving to warmer weather climates. Even then, this is a small number. The vast majority actually stay here in retirement. Jay
Obviously it's anyone's guess where this lawsuit will end up, but I would not be surprised if RI loses this on the grounds that it's deemed unconstitutional. That's not what I'm saying, but I could see a judge ruling it as such.

As far as why the GOP keeps losing, I would argue that it is because this state has swung so far to the left that the very word Republican is toxic, and anyone with an "R" after their name is automatically synonymous with Trump. They shouldn't be. Plenty of common sense Republicans exist who refuse to align themselves with this administration. They believe in climate change, marriage equality, reproductive rights because they know this has nothing to do with fiscal matters.

Warmer weather is definitely a reason why people are leaving, but it is hardly alone. I can't tell you how many op-ed pieces I have read about people leaving because they are tired of unjustifiably high taxes and political incompetence. The new places where these people settle are not perfect, but by comparison they do regard them as better. Government is simply run more efficiently and competently in the areas where they have transplanted, and this will not always be measured in an anecdotal poll that someone cherry-picks where CT ranks high. I have friends of all ages who have either left, are in the process of leaving, or looking to get out.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:37 AM

205 posts, read 162,346 times
I still don't get how this does not qualify as a border toll, and is therefore illegal.

The United States Supreme Court has made clear that a state charge violates the Commerce Clause “if it is facially discriminatory, has a discriminatory intent, or has the effect of unduly burdening interstate commerce.” Amerada Hess Corporation v. Director, Div. of Taxation, 490 U.S. 66, 75 (1989). It can be argued that many state tolling schemes fail every element of that analysis.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Obviously it's anyone's guess where this lawsuit will end up, but I would not be surprised if RI loses this on the grounds that it's deemed unconstitutional. That's not what I'm saying, but I could see a judge ruling it as such.

As far as why the GOP keeps losing, I would argue that it is because this state has swung so far to the left that the very word Republican is toxic, and anyone with an "R" after their name is automatically synonymous with Trump. They shouldn't be. Plenty of common sense Republicans exist who refuse to align themselves with this administration. They believe in climate change, marriage equality, reproductive rights because they know this has nothing to do with fiscal matters.

Warmer weather is definitely a reason why people are leaving, but it is hardly alone. I can't tell you how many op-ed pieces I have read about people leaving because they are tired of unjustifiably high taxes and political incompetence. The new places where these people settle are not perfect, but by comparison they do regard them as better. Government is simply run more efficiently and competently in the areas where they have transplanted, and this will not always be measured in an anecdotal poll that someone cherry-picks where CT ranks high. I have friends of all ages who have either left, are in the process of leaving, or looking to get out.
It has long been accepted that trucks can pay higher tolls because they do greater damage to roadways and bridges. This was tested decades ago but trucks are charged higher rates of tolls than passenger vehicles everywhere. This is just an extension of that and why it is unlikely the courts will rule in the trucking industry’s favor.

I disagree that this state has swung to the far left. The Republican Party, even the Connecticut Republicans, have swung to the right. After successfully winning the Governor’s office with Rowland and Rell (both moderates by today’s standards), they ran Foley twice and the Stefanowski. Both very conservative. How did they do? Despite the low popularity of Malloy, Foley lost twice and despite the clear desire for change, Stefanowski lost too.

For every op-Ed piece you have read (and there really haven’t been that many) there are thousands of people who feel otherwise. I too know people that have left. Some are happy, more are not. And most have found they did not save nearly as much as they thought. Housing costs near major employment centers are not that much less, if at all. They also found that those less costly places are less costly for a reason. They do not have the same level of services. Emergency services are NOT more efficient. They are just less which means longer wait times for response. I even know some that happily returned and said never again.

Further discussion of this here is off topic to this thread so I won’t go on. Jay

Old 01-29-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
I still don't get how this does not qualify as a border toll, and is therefore illegal.

The United States Supreme Court has made clear that a state charge violates the Commerce Clause “if it is facially discriminatory, has a discriminatory intent, or has the effect of unduly burdening interstate commerce.” Amerada Hess Corporation v. Director, Div. of Taxation, 490 U.S. 66, 75 (1989). It can be argued that many state tolling schemes fail every element of that analysis.
The Federal Highway Administration has indicated that Tolls can be placed on a bridge that needs repair. There is one bridge on that stretch of I-684 that needs repair so the state feels it can be tolled. Tolls do NOT impede or unduly burden interstate commerce. It is merely Federal Highway Administration’s Policy to not allow border tolls. I’m not sure what they will think of this, but it is likely CTDOT has already discussed this with them. Jay

Old 01-29-2020, 05:57 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It has long been accepted that trucks can pay higher tolls because they do greater damage to roadways and bridges. This was tested decades ago but trucks are charged higher rates of tolls than passenger vehicles everywhere. This is just an extension of that and why it is unlikely the courts will rule in the trucking industry’s favor.

I disagree that this state has swung to the far left. The Republican Party, even the Connecticut Republicans, have swung to the right. After successfully winning the Governor’s office with Rowland and Rell (both moderates by today’s standards), they ran Foley twice and the Stefanowski. Both very conservative. How did they do? Despite the low popularity of Malloy, Foley lost twice and despite the clear desire for change, Stefanowski lost too.

For every op-Ed piece you have read (and there really haven’t been that many) there are thousands of people who feel otherwise. I too know people that have left. Some are happy, more are not. And most have found they did not save nearly as much as they thought. Housing costs near major employment centers are not that much less, if at all. They also found that those less costly places are less costly for a reason. They do not have the same level of services. Emergency services are NOT more efficient. They are just less which means longer wait times for response. I even know some that happily returned and said never again.

Further discussion of this here is off topic to this thread so I won’t go on. Jay
We definitely disagree on who has swung where. I’ve been an independent all my life, and actually supported many democratic candidates, but seeing their manipulation tactics as of late, never again will I vote Democrat.

Curious to know - how has the Republican Party swung right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut