Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 07:36 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We definitely disagree on who has swung where. I’ve been an independent all my life, and actually supported many democratic candidates, but seeing their manipulation tactics as of late, never again will I vote Democrat.

Curious to know - how has the Republican Party swung right?
Well it started with the Tea Party movement which is really a libertarian movement. Kind of got worse from there.

I never said the Democrats did not get more liberal. I’m not pleased with that either but I see some of the goals of the Republicans and just cringe. That is why I am so critical of them and will never vote strictly along one party line. They both have extremes and neither is good. More people should be that way. It would help eliminate the extremes. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 08:39 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well it started with the Tea Party movement which is really a libertarian movement. Kind of got worse from there.

I never said the Democrats did not get more liberal. I’m not pleased with that either but I see some of the goals of the Republicans and just cringe. That is why I am so critical of them and will never vote strictly along one party line. They both have extremes and neither is good. More people should be that way. It would help eliminate the extremes. Jay
I tried to rep you, but I've been having a hard time with that since the server update.

Anyway, many people don't realize that they don't have to vote for someone not in their party. A lot of people think that if they are D, that's all they can vote for. Or even if they are Unaffiliated, that they have to vote across an entire party line. I remember a woman getting interviewed before the last presidential election and she was saying that she was voting for Hillary because she thought it would be great to have a woman in the White House. I mean, sure, let's vote for someone solely on gender or color, right?

I am a rebel so I've always mixed up my picks

Old 01-29-2020, 08:48 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:

Not to get off-topic (again, LOL), but in all fairness, both sides have ideas that are cringe-worthy. In states that are typically dominated by one party, we’ve seen how a lot of these horrendous ideas have come to fruition, and that includes this state: taxing everything under the sun without improving quality of life, letting juveniles off the hook for multiple offenses including felonies, and making every idiot politically correct idea a priority over fiscal matters — this is CT’s legacy, and it is sucks. And yes, the Republican party is awful I’m its own right, and I’m not suggesting we completely turn red, but if ousting a Democratic governor and/or member of congress is what it takes to shake current lawmakers out of their complacency, then so be it.

And with respect to public transportation, I don’t trust our lawmakers to use money responsibly. They certainly wouldn’t do that with tolls. Trust me, they’d find a way to allocate at least some money towards frivolous bull crap (namely public sector goodies) and I’m tired of seeing this happen. The left complains about income being unfairly distributed to a select few, but what do you think THIS is? Same thing here.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Not to get off-topic (again, LOL), but in all fairness, both sides have ideas that are cringe-worthy. In states that are typically dominated by one party, we’ve seen how a lot of these horrendous ideas have come to fruition, and that includes this state: taxing everything under the sun without improving quality of life, letting juveniles off the hook for multiple offenses including felonies, and making every idiot politically correct idea a priority over fiscal matters — this is CT’s legacy, and it is sucks. And yes, the Republican party is awful I’m its own right, and I’m not suggesting we completely turn red, but if ousting a Democratic governor and/or member of congress is what it takes to shake current lawmakers out of their complacency, then so be it.

And with respect to public transportation, I don’t trust our lawmakers to use money responsibly. They certainly wouldn’t do that with tolls. Trust me, they’d find a way to allocate at least some money towards frivolous bull crap (namely public sector goodies) and I’m tired of seeing this happen. The left complains about income being unfairly distributed to a select few, but what do you think THIS is? Same thing here.
I say that BOTH parties have failed our state all the time here but some seem to think one party or the other is the answer. I disagree. There’s more than enough blame to go around there.

I get that you and others do not trust the state to use toll revenue responsibly but doing nothing solves nothing. Our roads and bridges need more money for improvements. Tolls will provide that money and a good portion of that will come from out of state drivers. For once it’s not entirely paid for by Connecticut taxpayers.

The Republican Plan calls for robbing the Rainy Day Fund and borrowing the rest. How does that make fiscal sense? That just pushes the burden on future generations and places us in a precarious position during the next economic downturn. It also means that we will be forced to raise the gas tax which is primarily paid for by Connecticut taxpayers. Again, where’s the fiscal sense?

The only way we can make the improvements we need is to do SOMETHING already. If the Republicans don’t trust the Democrats plan, propose changes to strengthen it. Don’t stand there and just complain. A strong proposal that tightens the lockbox on the Transportation Fund would prevent games from being played in the future. It’s not that hard. Jay

Old 01-30-2020, 06:32 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Quote:
I get that you and others do not trust the state to use toll revenue responsibly
Which isn't an issue with tolls, since under FHWA requirements the revenue has to go to improving the facility that is being tolled.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:17 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Which isn't an issue with tolls, since under FHWA requirements the revenue has to go to improving the facility that is being tolled.
They would find a way to be wasteful with at least some of it, believe me. They can't be trusted to do the right thing.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
They would find a way to be wasteful with at least some of it, believe me. They can't be trusted to do the right thing.
But yet once again, what’s the alternative? Do nothing? Borrow more with no way to pay? Raid the Rainy Day Fund? Does that make fiscal sense? I don’t think so. Hopefully our Legislature doesn’t either. Jay

Old 01-30-2020, 09:15 PM

Someone told me the vote on tolls has been delayed again but that tomorrow’s hearing will go on as planned. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2020/01/30/hous...of-tolls-vote/

Old 01-30-2020, 09:33 PM

Please stop the off topic discussion and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 01-31-2020, 07:09 AM

I just read a Tweet that made my blood boil. Former Republican candidate for Governor, Bob Stafanowski tweeted that the Democrats are considering tolling cars. What? There is NO plan to toll cars. Why say this? Are you so scared of the upcoming vote that you feel the need to perpetuate lies and fear to promote your agenda? Frankly I find this despicable and lowers my opinion of him even further. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut