Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2022, 08:38 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
So, the Govt wants more trains while it is worsening the service of what it is already running? No wonder they don't get the support.

Reading the last 3-4 pages I got two things -- good news about air travel, and bad news about train travel. "Coincidentally" one is private, the other Govt.

Govt is very good at certain things. It's just a bad application of Govt resources to run public transportation. There will be no solution to bad service until we / next generation privatizes trains. We, the society gave Govt a shot to let it run public transport, and we see the results now. But we humans have an ability to correct our mistakes.
The difference is one is able to pass on it’s true cost to fare payers. The other can’t.

Airline fares cover the costs of service and generate a profit. Commuter transit services must be subsidized by taxpayers to keep rates affordable. That’s why most, if not all, private mass transit companies went out of business decades ago. The public just can’t afford to pay the true cost of the service. It’s the amount of taxpayer subsidy that makes the difference in service. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 09:08 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Don't forget that without major government spending at Tweed, Avelo wouldn't be able to expand.
I thought Tweed just went all private investment? It was subsidized forever before.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:50 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I thought Tweed just went all private investment? It was subsidized forever before.
Kinda sorta. My understanding is the annual $1.8 million in local and state support has been replaced by a $70 million payment for a new terminal in exchange for a 43 year lease.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:07 AM

Jim Cameron discusses the cost of running the New Haven Line and how taxpayers subsidize it. The pandemic has made it even worse. With work-from-home even more prevalent, how long will it be before ridership returns to pre-pandemic levels, and if not, is it sustainable? Tough questions. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2022/02/28/fare...e-jim-cameron/

Old 03-01-2022, 05:53 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Jim Cameron discusses the cost of running the New Haven Line and how taxpayers subsidize it. The pandemic has made it even worse. With work-from-home even more prevalent, how long will it be before ridership returns to pre-pandemic levels, and if not, is it sustainable? Tough questions. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2022/02/28/fare...e-jim-cameron/
It will never be 2019 again-on Metro North, in NYC, or the world.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Agreed. The remote work cat is out of bag. And future climate change concerns will bolster it too.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agreed. The remote work cat is out of bag. And future climate change concerns will bolster it too.
Then the state is going to have to seriously reconsider how many trains it runs into Manhattan. Gone will be the multiple express trains from many stations. We just can’t afford them. Jay

Old 03-02-2022, 08:57 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Then the state is going to have to seriously reconsider how many trains it runs into Manhattan. Gone will be the multiple express trains from many stations. We just can’t afford them. Jay
First cuts should be sparsely used Danbury & Naugatuck Valley lines. 2nd should be reduced , sharply, MTA headcount, for those lines. I would leave Hartford as is, growth seems solid. I would cut 3rd Shoreline East. FFC-NYC is the least subsidized part of Metro North. Express may be gone permanently, in most cases, but they should first consider modifying off peak schedule. I'd keep 1 express out of New Haven in the 5-5;59, 1 6-659am, return out of GCT 1 train 4-409pm to NH, 1 5-559pm to NH.

I would cut off peak to one trip every 90 minutes. Depart NH say 10:30,12, 1:30,3..

I would void the state subsidy on weekends, make tourists pay full fare, peak.

In short, reconfigure the work schedule tilting service to overwhelmingly peak.

If the visitor to NYC for a play dislikes it, tough.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
First cuts should be sparsely used Danbury & Naugatuck Valley lines. 2nd should be reduced , sharply, MTA headcount, for those lines. I would leave Hartford as is, growth seems solid. I would cut 3rd Shoreline East. FFC-NYC is the least subsidized part of Metro North. Express may be gone permanently, in most cases, but they should first consider modifying off peak schedule. I'd keep 1 express out of New Haven in the 5-5;59, 1 6-659am, return out of GCT 1 train 4-409pm to NH, 1 5-559pm to NH.

I would cut off peak to one trip every 90 minutes. Depart NH say 10:30,12, 1:30,3..

I would void the state subsidy on weekends, make tourists pay full fare, peak.

In short, reconfigure the work schedule tilting service to overwhelmingly peak.

If the visitor to NYC for a play dislikes it, tough.
I disagree. You are looking at it from strictly a NYC commuter viewpoint so your bias is showing BIG TIME.

Growing the Danbury and Naugatuck line is more important than you think. It provides super pricey lower Fairfield County access to affordable housing which is desperately needed. If our state wants to build upon the already incredible base we have in Stamford and Norwalk, affordable housing will be imperative. The only way to go is toward Danbury and Waterbury.

Going to 90 minutes between off peak trains does not provide enough service to be convenient for riders. If you miss a train, waiting an hour or less is tolerable. Waiting more than that is definitely not.

Furthermore, why penalize weekend travelers? Completely cutting weekend subsidies will completely eliminate riders. No one is going to pay the kind of ticket price it would become. Remember those weekend riders are taxpayers too. Why should their tax dollars go to subsidizing your commute? It’s not fair. Jay

Old 03-02-2022, 12:26 PM

The problem with Danbury and Waterbury lines is they’re barely used and the costs to upgrade them to modern standards are huge. Shoreline East is also very little used. The subsidies on these lines per passenger are huge.

Anyone commuting to Norwalk and Stamford from northern FFC are overwhelmingly by car. Those that want lower cost living can get great train access from Bridgeport and eastward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut