Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 02:06 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Bradley International Airport has received a $20 million federal grant for a new $180 million luggage inspection facility. Nice addition to the airport. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...cny-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 09:47 AM

The new $210 million Ground Transportation Center has opened at Bradley International Airport. Great addition to an already great airport. Jay

https://westfaironline.com/149728/br...tation-center/

Old 07-11-2022, 03:56 PM

More express trains are being added to the New Haven and Waterbury lines. Good news. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2022/07/11/metr...ransportation/

Old 07-18-2022, 07:26 AM

So this article pretty much confirms what I’ve been saying about travel times on Metro North’s New Haven line. It’s not CTDOT or Metro North causing slower trains, it’s federal regulations. The Federal Transit Agency has set strict speed limits on trains so this translates into longer trip times. As I’ve pointed out, CTDOT has invested billions in the line and has a program to invest billions more. Hopefully the FTA will ease their restrictions soon. I’d suggest contacting your Congressman and Senators to push them further. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2022/07/17/cts-...till-too-slow/

Old 07-18-2022, 04:00 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So this article pretty much confirms what I’ve been saying about travel times on Metro North’s New Haven line. It’s not CTDOT or Metro North causing slower trains, it’s federal regulations. The Federal Transit Agency has set strict speed limits on trains so this translates into longer trip times. As I’ve pointed out, CTDOT has invested billions in the line and has a program to invest billions more. Hopefully the FTA will ease their restrictions soon. I’d suggest contacting your Congressman and Senators to push them further. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2022/07/17/cts-...till-too-slow/
Yes but many speed restriction reasons are fixable (aging bridges, poor ballast, warped tracks, drainage issues), only some are unfixable (curves).

The failure to maintain the tracks has resulted in more federal restrictions than is ideal.

I’ve chatted with the author of that article a few times, and he’d tell you the exact same thing.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:25 PM

Did anyone see this? One of the state’s new electric buses caught fire and burned completely. The state has pulled all of its electric buses as a precaution.

The ironic part of this is that Governor Ned Lamont, CTDOT Commissioner Joe Giulietti, and Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Commissioner Katie Dykes had just a day earlier gathered in New Haven to promote the success of the state’s clean air act which would push to replace all diesel buses with electric ones. Will this fire change that? Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/artic...t-17329085.php

Old 07-27-2022, 08:48 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Did anyone see this? One of the state’s new electric buses caught fire and burned completely. The state has pulled all of its electric buses as a precaution.

The ironic part of this is that Governor Ned Lamont, CTDOT Commissioner Joe Giulietti, and Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Commissioner Katie Dykes had just a day earlier gathered in New Haven to promote the success of the state’s clean air act which would push to replace all diesel buses with electric ones. Will this fire change that? Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/artic...t-17329085.php
Yeah looks like that idea went up in smoke

Old 07-28-2022, 05:40 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
There was an accident near my house of a Prius and it took a while to clear because they had to make sure that there was no lithium on the ground. Electric can still work but you do have to be careful about it.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:44 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment in NYC. We left 7:00 and it took 3-1/2 hours to get there. I have never seen the traffic to bad. The nurse was saying the traffic was so bad becuase now all the big banks are requiring thier employees to work in the office 5 days a week again and it started yesterday.

So two things.

1) If this is the future of the traffic I will have to leave by 6:00 every time I need to go to NYC because yesterday was horrendous. I live in Trumbull.
2) All these people who need to go back to work full time in NYC must be thinking the same thing. I believe this should have a profound affect on the real estate prices out of Fairfield County becuase you can't possibly work in NYC 5 days a week and be so far out from Fairfield County. I think all of these people from NYC were under the impression they were going to work in the office part time forever.

So if a lot of the people from NYC move back to NYC this should help alleviate the traffic.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:04 AM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment in NYC. We left 7:00 and it took 3-1/2 hours to get there. I have never seen the traffic to bad. The nurse was saying the traffic was so bad becuase now all the big banks are requiring thier employees to work in the office 5 days a week again and it started yesterday.

So two things.

1) If this is the future of the traffic I will have to leave by 6:00 every time I need to go to NYC because yesterday was horrendous. I live in Trumbull.
2) All these people who need to go back to work full time in NYC must be thinking the same thing. I believe this should have a profound affect on the real estate prices out of Fairfield County becuase you can't possibly work in NYC 5 days a week and be so far out from Fairfield County. I think all of these people from NYC were under the impression they were going to work in the office part time forever.

So if a lot of the people from NYC move back to NYC this should help alleviate the traffic.
There was horrendous rush hour traffic well before Covid. How could you not know that?
It's been back for a while now but for me it's not as bad because it clears up after Stamford.
Most Manhattan commuters took the train
Move back to Stamford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut