Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 07:25 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Simply, YES! Jay
agreed, and I'm a bean counter IRL. And, I'm a CT resident, so my tax dollars will be going towards the construction as well. it's not just the maintenance saved - it's gas saved, wear & tear on cars, time saved, pollution lessened, frustration lessened due to not sitting in traffic, etc.

So, while it may take 30 or 40 years for the actual highway reconstruction to pay for itself, the other benefits of easing traffic that Jay and I mentioned above will make the payoff come a lot sooner. If north of the highway property values increase and new businesses open, it will increase tax revenues for both Hartford and the state as well.

We can't go back in time and tell the designers from the 1950s to not put a raised highway through Hartford, so we have to deal with the situation as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:51 AM

34,919 posts, read 56,918,061 times
I am not sure if anyone has been following this but there is some pretty interesting things happening on Route 8/25 in Bridgeport with the replacement of the Lindley Street bridge. You can expect to see this type of construction happening more and more around the state in the future. Jay

Route 8 bridge project a quick, but not simple job - Connecticut Post

Live Feed – Route 8 Bridgeport, CT

Old 06-20-2016, 08:18 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times
Quote:
I am not sure if anyone has been following this but there is some pretty interesting things happening on Route 8/25 in Bridgeport with the replacement of the Lindley Street bridge. You can expect to see this type of construction happening more and more around the state in the future. Jay

I love that these things can be done much more quickly. Better a very short complete disruption than years of construction slowdowns.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:57 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I love that these things can be done much more quickly. Better a very short complete disruption than years of construction slowdowns.
Design/build is a a delivery method used in almost every other state. I bid work in Mass, Florida and New Hamphire and they are almost always D/B (large project anyway). CT is late to the party on this method. You will be seeing more and more around CT because it saves a lot of time and manpower from the state.

This is also being used on other segments of construction. I am on a project now with no road work (utility project) and it is design build.

Neat concept.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Design/build is a a delivery method used in almost every other state. I bid work in Mass, Florida and New Hamphire and they are almost always D/B (large project anyway). CT is late to the party on this method. You will be seeing more and more around CT because it saves a lot of time and manpower from the state.

This is also being used on other segments of construction. I am on a project now with no road work (utility project) and it is design build.

Neat concept.
It is not only Design/Build which is a project delivery method, it is Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC). The Route 8/25 project is supposed to be completed by September so traffic disruptions are limited to only a few months instead of years. CTDOT is considering doing something similar on the Aetna Viaduct project (I-84 in Hartford) by closing the road for a year to build the new highway in its place. Of course this is only a proposal and that project has a long way to go before this is even considered. Jay

Old 06-20-2016, 03:15 PM

9,754 posts, read 7,465,729 times
Quote:

And yet on route 8, even though it goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes in each direction there is hardly a backup through this stretch! Imagine how much of a backup there would be on 84, 95 or 91 if 2 lanes got shut down??

Old 06-21-2016, 06:04 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,092,847 times
New Plan Would Rid Route 9 Of Middletown's Highway Stoplights - Courant Community

The first smart, cost-effective idea I've seen come out of CT DOT in my 9 years here!

Old 06-21-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
New Plan Would Rid Route 9 Of Middletown's Highway Stoplights - Courant Community

The first smart, cost-effective idea I've seen come out of CT DOT in my 9 years here!
The plan is interesting but I wonder if Middletown would accept it since it involves raising Route 9 Southbound and constructing two bridges. There have been multiple proposals over the last 30 or so years and most were shot down by local opposition. Middletown does not want anything that further obstructs it from the river. Raising the highway would do that. I believe something similar was proposed in the past and got shot down but maybe the state is ready to fight for it and the town more open to fixing the problem. Will see. I do think that the missing piece of this is the Route 17 interchange. That has one of the highest accident rates in the state and needs to be fixed also. The article mentions CTDOT working on a plan but does not say what it is. Would need to see that one too. Jay

Old 06-21-2016, 07:44 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,092,847 times
Quote:
The plan is interesting but I wonder if Middletown would accept it since it involves raising Route 9 Southbound and constructing two bridges. There have been multiple proposals over the last 30 or so years and most were shot down by local opposition. Middletown does not want anything that further obstructs it from the river. Raising the highway would do that. I believe something similar was proposed in the past and got shot down but maybe the state is ready to fight for it and the town more open to fixing the problem. Will see. I do think that the missing piece of this is the Route 17 interchange. That has one of the highest accident rates in the state and needs to be fixed also. The article mentions CTDOT working on a plan but does not say what it is. Would need to see that one too. Jay
Yes, but roundabouts are the wave of the future. I urge interested readers to look at the recent US 31 reconstruction (in my hometown Indianapolis north suburbs) for how this kind of upgrade can be done in record time. Eliminating stoplights and increasing safety. I visited there last month and was amazed at how good it looked and how fast it was done. Really a model for CT DOT to follow.

The New US 31 Hamilton County

Old 06-21-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yes, but roundabouts are the wave of the future. I urge interested readers to look at the recent US 31 reconstruction (in my hometown Indianapolis north suburbs) for how this kind of upgrade can be done in record time. Eliminating stoplights and increasing safety. I visited there last month and was amazed at how good it looked and how fast it was done. Really a model for CT DOT to follow.

The New US 31 Hamilton County
If you look, the roundabout is not on Route 9, it is at the bottom of the ramps on Dekoven Drive. Connecticut has been adding roundabouts as well. CTDOT had been cautious to start building them but now does consider them in all projects if appropriate. The biggest problem we have though is lack of sufficient right-of-way to construct them. They take a lot of land and the northeast just does not have the room for them. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut