Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:48 PM

11 posts, read 53,151 times

Advertisements

I posted last week about coming to the area...from Chicago..and there are lots of great suggestions. I dont see much love for Norwalk..am I missing something ??

we are still very confused about the area. Since NYC has to be in our plans for work..Fairfield Cty is probably the choice.

Again our budget is 600 - 800K, small child (2) and will plan to be in CT for a many years. Looking for family life style, grow roots, raise my child.

Thanks again...looking for good websites about CT, and great REALTORS !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 53,151 times
Default oops...LIVING...now I know why the "review post" button is there...nm

Thanks again

Old 01-19-2008, 03:08 PM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Well beefskull, Norwalk is a small somewhat industrial city with some urban type issues that make it less desirable than its neighbors. There are neighborhoods in Norwalk that are not the best and when you compare it to the neighboring towns of Darien, Westport, Wilton or New Canaan, it is hard to get excited by it.

That said there are many wonderful areas including Roywaton, Silvermine and East Norwalk. A coworker has family in East Norwalk near the water and he raves about the neighborhood (there are a lot of water related activiites and events), but agrees the schools leave much to be desired. Most people posting on these Boards are looking for towns with good schools, so of course other towns are recommended. I often mention Norwalk when someone without kids are looking for a place to live and can not afford nearby Stamford or Greenwich. You may be able to find more home for your money in Norwalk than other nearby towns but as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".

Again, I would recommend Fairfield which is a great town with excellent schools and a LOT of family activities. It is a bit more suburban in character than Norwalk and does not have the urban issues. There are a lot of beautiful areas and homes are more affordable than other communities in Fairfiled county. Jay

Old 01-19-2008, 03:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
I think COMPARED to Darien, Westport, Wilton, New Canaan, Greenwich etc it's not in the same class - but lets be realistic, we are comparing that city to some of most expensive and desirable real estate in the country.

By Hartford or New Haven standards Norwalk IMHO is not bad at all.

I almost moved to SONO and took a job in NYC myself about 10 years ago when I was coming back to CT.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,429,511 times
You should also consider northern Fairfield County and the Candlewood Lake region. You should be able to get a much larger home on more property. The commute to NYC will be a little bit longer though. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,948 times
We lived in Norwalk for several years, and our oldest kids went to kindergarten and first grade there. The school was a real eye-opener, just awful. All the families we knew left Norwalk in droves once they began school, or they sent their children to private schools. The Norwalk school system leaves a lot to be desired. If you are interested in living in a city, Stamford would be your better bet. The high schools aren't the greatest, but they are superior to Norwalk's. I'm told the elementary schools are pretty good, but a lot of Stamford families do send their kids to private schools.

Fairfield is another good town to consider, it has very good schools, and it still has a "city" feel with a lot of shopping and amenities. There are also smaller towns you might consider. Which do you prefer, a suburban, or urban community?

Old 01-20-2008, 07:27 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
I lived in Norwalk since I was 10, moved here in 76.
Its better than some & worse than others. Like someone already said, you cant really compare Norwalk to Darien or Westport. Those are towns, this is a city.
Some might like Stamford better but just about every urban issue that plagues Norwalk is worse in Stamford. I'm talking about bad areas, gangs & crime in general.
The schools arent any worse than other cities & if you speak honestly the issues in Norwalk, other than Gangs maybe, are present in the wealthier towns too.
My kids are in public school here & have had no trouble at all & are excelling.
Alot of the school issue I think is parents not being happy that they have to do something with their kids. If you personally are involved in their lives & give them direction, as a parent should anyway, then theres not much likelyhood they'ss turn bad. If you simply pay nannies & let them & the school raise them maybe Norwalks not the right place.

Fairfields a nice place too but its proximity to Bridgeport which has real urban issues negates much of its apeal to me.

Anyway, from my perspective Norwalks a great place to live & raise a family.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:40 PM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Fairfields a nice place too but its proximity to Bridgeport which has real urban issues negates much of its apeal to me.
Why does Fairfield's proximity to Bridgeport impact your opinion? The nicest parts of Bridgeport (Black Rock, Brooklawn and the North End) border Fairfield and these neighborhoods are as nice or nicer than most of Norwalk. Sorry but to say that you would live in a city like Norwalk that admittedly has issues but then saying you would concider a great town like Fairfield because it is near Bridgeport does not make sense. Sounds like you do not even know the area.

By the way, Bridgeport has a LOT of very nice areas. It is very diverse city that has a bad reputation because of certain areas. The entire city is not bad, just like the entire City of Norwalk is not bad because of its few bad areas. Jay

Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
Theres a lot of things. Bridgeports taxes are crazy & Fairfields up there too.
We looked in both places before we bought in Norwalk. I dont speak about Bridgeport from rumors. Spent alot of time there as a younger man. The biggest problem, after taxes in Bridgeport is even if you buy in a nice area, if your kids go to public school guess what.
I admit, I'm not impartial. I love it here in Norwalk & for whatever reason always associate Fairfield with Bridgeport. I really shouldn't because theyre not remotely similar. Fairfield, aside from a small downtown area is not remotely urban. Its very nice, especially the Greenfield hills area,but I thought he wanted a city. I live in East Norwalk & my kids go to Marvin Elementary school as I did. I was nervous about Middle school but Nathan Hales got a great Principal now & my oldest son is doing great.
I think in Norwalk you get more bang for your buck taxwise than Fairfield & for what he said he wanted to spend, he could do pretty good here right now I think.

But, its no biggie & I sure meant no offence.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:32 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
The biggest problem, after taxes in Bridgeport is even if you buy in a nice area, if your kids go to public school guess what.
What horrible thing will happen to children that go to Bridgeport public schools?

Why are idiots allowed to post ignorant garbage like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut