Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 05:04 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times

Advertisements

Heres my 7am sun..

Then again, you might have better positioning of the garden without interference. I start to get sun at 8 because of fence, 2 story house, and privacy trees

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 05:34 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,486,655 times
Placed new topsoil along with some 10-10-10 last night.

Corn is coming in well. Planted at two different dates so the corn will produce at different times. Plus, my fiance likes to use the stalks for fall decorations.

Peppers (California peppers) are having a hard time flowering.

Onions looking good. Have about 12 of those.

Butternut squash is coming in nice. Only planted two because they take up a lot of room.

Can we talk Connecticut gardens?-img_0129.jpg

Can we talk Connecticut gardens?-img_0126.jpg

Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,356 times
My Garden sits on the Western most side of the home so when the sun peeks over the trees it starts to hit the garden. I'm thankful for the rains but the sun needs to really kick in this year, I missed out a lot on the May sun we had despite being dry out. So I figure I'm a good 2-3 weeks behind most other people.

I also may try to pollinate the zucchini and cucumbers myself with a brush. That may be tonight's project.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 AM

Taking advantage of pulling weeds after VERY heavy rain this morning and cool air! One thing we have abundant of in CT is weeds (the legal kind)

Can you see the Sweet Bell Peppers? There's at least 2 in this picture. I will let them turn colors but peppers can be eaten anytime

Can't wait till all the Onions are ready (couple weeks). Pulled 2 Yellow ones since their stems have been down for a week plus I was curious..

Last night I was in the mood for String Beans so I stepped into the backyard, picked them, and cooked.

So fresh tasting!

Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
I'm thinking I just don't get enough sun to do tomatoes. I bought a campari "patio" container and did as the Agway lady advised: I cut the bottom out of the container, and parked it right on top of the ground in the backyard. That was a couple of weeks ago, there were already tomatoes growing on it. So far, only two of them have ripened; one yesterday, and I think one will be ready to pick tomorrow or possibly the next day. The others are all still just as green as when I bought the plant, and the leaves are all yellow and crusty looking. It's definitely not for lack of water, and not for lack of space for the roots to dig since there's no bottom to the container. It has to be lack of sun. It only gets a couple hours in the morning, and maybe from noon til 1pm, and then again from 4-5pm. That's the sunniest spot in the yard other than where we put the pool and - well - we're not moving the pool to accommodate a tomato plant

Honestly, the front yard gets plenty of sun; all morning til around 3pm, then again around an hour before sunset. But a lone tomato plant smack dab in the middle of our front yard would look pretty stupid, assuming no one thinks it's SO stupid that they should just walk up to it, grab it, and plant it in their own yard

Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
the leaves are all yellow and crusty looking. It's definitely not for lack of water, and not for lack of space for the roots to dig since there's no bottom to the container. It has to be lack of sun.

a lone tomato plant smack dab in the middle of our front yard would look pretty stupid, assuming no one thinks it's SO stupid that they should just walk up to it, grab it, and plant it in their own yard
lol, yeah, I got family members that come up from southern NY and said my open Potato patch in the front yard looks stupid. Then I drove them around in CT and showed them how many have gardens in their front yard and near the street and with fencing and stuff.. They always love coming up to the sticks. lol. Wherever there's sun, do it. It's part of the landscape.

As far as the yellow leaves.. leaving out a disease (which I don't think) it's the excess water. Common issue and we did have a very wet June (too wet!). Especially being in a pot, the roots have been soggy for weeks on end now with rain almost every other day and no real heat, the bottom of the pot never had a chance to dry. Even though the bottom is missing, that soil down there doesn't get sunlight to dry itself out.

That's one disadvantage of doing things in pots. But they do better in the beginning since they stay warmer then the soil. Just take those yellow branches off and maybe start covering the soil so no more rain gets in there.

Looking at the forecast you wont need to water that pot for at least 1 week so I say cover it and hope it drys out

Old 07-02-2015, 10:59 AM

July 2, 2015 early harvest. Couple of Fava Beans, Cukes, 2 Yellow onions, Red Potatoes, & an over grown Radish. I could of put hot peppers in here but I'm leaving them on the plant still.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:01 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Love these posts! Awaiting closing. Still no internet.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:14 AM

Mmmm, More today!

This one I'm leaving on the plant, let it get overgrown then change to yellow and I will save the seeds from this one. National Pickling.

Time to make the pickles

Old 07-04-2015, 01:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Another week, I'll be in my home and will spend the rest of this season analyzing the lay of the land including sunlight and the trees we will probably take out. I'm not sold on taking trees out but my other half insists on opening up some sunlight for his garden. Understandable. I want to know every tree on my little 1.2 acre and try to talk him out of felling anything valuable.

I doubt there's anything I can put in the ground at this point although I got a free zucchini plant that is loaded with buds! Maybe some winter greens?

I'm at a place with wifi at the moment so I'm going to try to catch up. I love everyone's posts on here and I can't wait to see the bountiful harvests. And Cambium is going to put us all to shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut