Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 01:31 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The city would have gone into bankruptcy but for the state bailing them out. If that's not failing, I don't know what it. So many shiny things in Hartford to distract everyone from how bad things are. It seems to be working.
The city's financial problems have more to do with it being shortchanged in PILOT funding by the state for many years than anything else. It is hard to run a city when more than 50% of the property there is untaxable.

Developers are not investing in Hartford for no reason. They aren't stupid. This has nothing to do with distraction and everything to do with reality. Maybe you are the one that needs to open their eyes and accept the facts rather than just negate anything positive. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 02:53 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,734,621 times
Sheesh. I don't think Hartford is THAT bad. I wouldn't say single parent households is always a bad thing if it means propping up bad marriages. JayCT is correct in that it is very hard to tax anything if 50% cannot be taxed. That then means reliance on state aid which requires strings attached.

I think the problems Hartford has aren't really due to the leadership of the city nor are they because of the people with it. The way the city was planned and highway system is doesn't help. There needs to be significant changes with the state relationship with cities and towns.

I think the sad part is frankly if you don't slow down and walk around chances are you'll miss everything in Hartford because the sheer size of the buildings shields the views from the highways. It's pretty compact. The only other place I can think is compact more is Hudson NY (2 sq miles but good). I think there are green shoots in Hartford but not everyone notices. I just hope that the state doesn't snuff it out with tolls.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 PM

27 posts, read 22,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
LOL. You are typical of the naysayers who said Front Street wouldn't work, the ball park would fail, the Convention Center wouldn't attract any business, that no one would move into apartments in downtown Hartford and on and on. All those efforts have proven successful.

BTW, I lived in downtown Atlanta for many years. I had many friends (and some family) from outside the perimeter. They came into the city all the time. You opinion that no one comes downtown except for sports is just flat wrong. But I never went to Alpharetta.

I totally agree!! The same folks always dogging Hartford are the first to discredit the state on the quality of its cities. If literally EVERY effort towards bettering Hartford has some crushing flaw or someone is frequently claiming its hopeless in Hartford you lose credibility fast! I feel like a big part of Hartford's problem has always been the bad press and naysayers.

I live in the Hartford burbs and go there just for a Goats game or a new restaurant all the time. When I worked in one of the insurance offices in Albany NY I was frequently asked if I wanted to "go in" on a group order for a new restaurant and when I joined an associate resource group we sometimes held meet and greets at a place in the area so I don't see why insurance companies in Hartford would be any different.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:49 PM

6,294 posts, read 10,998,935 times
One thing that people should consider is the lack of available land in the city to develop. Redevelopment of existing properties seems to be a more likely scenario right now from what I've seen and read. Unfortunately though this won't really help grow the tax base. Seems to me that developing more multi story office buildings or high rises which make better use of the land and in turn, will help grow the tax base of the city. And that could help reduce the burden of the property taxes that home owners have to pay. Now the challenge is finding businesses that have the resources to develop larger buildings with the business to justify the larger structures.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:50 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,818,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
One thing that people should consider is the lack of available land in the city to develop. Redevelopment of existing properties seems to be a more likely scenario right now from what I've seen and read. Unfortunately though this won't really help grow the tax base. Seems to me that developing more multi story office buildings or high rises which make better use of the land and in turn, will help grow the tax base of the city. And that could help reduce the burden of the property taxes that home owners have to pay. Now the challenge is finding businesses that have the resources to develop larger buildings with the business to justify the larger structures.
What do you mean? I would bet about 1/2 the surface area of Downtown Hartford is surface lots.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:04 PM

143 posts, read 104,537 times
Hartford does have a lot of vacant lot in its downtown.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:13 AM

6,294 posts, read 10,998,935 times
Parking lots vs. vacant lots that are available for development are two different animals. Unless the owner of a parking lot wants to sell it to a developer, it will remain a parking lot. Granted I have not been down there for a few years but the last time I was I noted there were not that many vacant lots, just parking lots.

Did they ever develop that corner at Main St. where the Hartford-AETNA Building was located? It was demolished in the 80's to build a office building that was not built. It was the first real skyscraper in the city.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,916,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The city would have gone into bankruptcy but for the state bailing them out. If that's not failing, I don't know what it. So many shiny things in Hartford to distract everyone from how bad things are. It seems to be working.
Exactly. That is the very definition of failure.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:03 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What do you mean? I would bet about 1/2 the surface area of Downtown Hartford is surface lots.
Not even close. Look at an aerial photo. There are a few in the core of downtown but not really that many. Also keep in mind that one of the largest parking companies in the country, Laz Parking, is based in Hartford and they own some of the lots so its unlikely you will see development on them. It is not their business model to do that. Jay

Old 05-02-2018, 10:41 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,734,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not even close. Look at an aerial photo. There are a few in the core of downtown but not really that many. Also keep in mind that one of the largest parking companies in the country, Laz Parking, is based in Hartford and they own some of the lots so its unlikely you will see development on them. It is not their business model to do that. Jay
That is very true but I'll also add this. Simply looking at parking as cars from above doesn't always give a indication of volume. Retailers used to use satellite imagery all the time. Yet I know of a home depot that is next to a bus parking lot. The bus authority charges for parking, home depot doesn't. At any time the home depot parking lot is half full which if you are from outside the area makes you think it must always be busy. When you see the store closed and it's still half filled with cars you know they aren't parking for shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut