Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 12:42 PM

854 posts, read 1,241,726 times

Advertisements

This is absurd.

The Boston Tea Party of 1773 happened over a lesser scandal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 03:08 PM

413 posts, read 317,503 times
Play ball!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:53 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Of course they occur. But not without accountability and consequences, which is my point. $10M off and 8 weeks late (costing $XX more)? I've worked in corporate America for 25 years and seen heads roll for far less than that.
Again not really.

Why not? Because people can be related to members of the board of directors and/or significant shareholders. Companies are not immune to other organizations. When I was in the private sector we were glued to our stock ticker.

Why?

Because the company wouldn't announce that much. Layoffs and buyouts happened. CNBC knew more on any given day then your boss did that's been there 2x as long as you.

10 million off? There's plenty of corporate projects well beyond that. We just don't hear that much about them because it might be buried in a 10K. Government is always in the news.

Mattel invested about 75 million in a virtual reality system in the late 1990's that failed

Drug companies invest plenty in r&d that can have some failures (Vioxx anyone?)

Some outright lie about things (VW emissions and Enron come to mind)

Does firing someone mean the problem is fixed? Probably not. That's why whistleblower protections exist. Sometimes it's better to force someone to fix the problem rather then let them go. Otherwise it might create a whole industry of people that make mistakes floating from one company to another.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 AM

453 posts, read 530,909 times
The Courant is reporting that the apartment building planned at Constitution Plaza has been cancelled (Warning - Pay Wall):

Plans Scuttled For Apartment Tower On Constitution Plaza - Hartford Courant

Old 01-25-2016, 11:42 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
The Courant is reporting that the apartment building planned at Constitution Plaza has been cancelled (Warning - Pay Wall):

Plans Scuttled For Apartment Tower On Constitution Plaza - Hartford Courant
This is disappointing. I never thought that they should have demolished Broadcast House (the home of WFSB TV) before having concrete plans for the site but not much you can do. Still it is good to see that the adjacent Spectra apartments are renting so quickly. They are 65% leased in only a few months. Wow that is impressive. Jay

Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 PM

453 posts, read 530,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is disappointing. I never thought that they should have demolished Broadcast House (the home of WFSB TV) before having concrete plans for the site but not much you can do. Still it is good to see that the adjacent Spectra apartments are renting so quickly. They are 65% leased in only a few months. Wow that is impressive. Jay
I'd like to see the true reason in the article - maybe it's the developer or development company having its own issues. Tough to judge until we know the facts, but would like to keep the momentum going and not have a hole in the ground for an extended period.

Maybe this will end up being a good thing and a better design can be realized - it's a highly visible lot at the foot of the Founders Bridge. A nice eye catching piece of architecture would be ideal here.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:20 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
If I'm not mistaken the guy who owns AI engineers pitched this idea to Hartford like 3 years ago but didn't have enough money. He was looking for $12m.
Guess we know the answer if he got the money for it.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:56 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
If I'm not mistaken the guy who owns AI engineers pitched this idea to Hartford like 3 years ago but didn't have enough money. He was looking for $12m.
Guess we know the answer if he got the money for it.
The plan has changed a number of times since he bought the property. Originally it was just going to be a 12 story office building and his firm was going to be a tenant. When he could not line up enough office tenants to get the financing (after the finance market collapsed), he change to a 15 story mixed use complex of offices and apartments. He then downsized it again to 10 stories. The Capital Region Development Authority had agreed to give him $.2 million toward the project but since has dropped that and used the money for other projects downtown. Jay

Old 01-26-2016, 01:05 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Interesting article in the Courant today about Hartford - basically, tells them to stop aspiring to be another Boston or NYC, but to be the best small city they can be.

Hartford boosters, businesses and marketers seem to aspire to the big-city cultures of New York and Boston by creating overreaching slogans, like "Hartford: New England's Rising Star," or lamely hip ones, like "Hartford has it."

But, instead of trying to hype Hartford as a wannabe big city, it may be wiser to market what it is: a small city with a long history in the Land of Steady Habits. As Mayor Luke Bronin suggested, in revitalizing Hartford's economy, the city should start small: Downtown workers should patronize the small businesses in its diverse neighborhoods. Instead of hyping the city with hyperbole, accentuate the charm and convenience of its small scale.

From a Montreal bar I see Hartford clearly - Hartford Courant

Old 01-26-2016, 01:13 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Hartford should copy/emulate some of the improvements that have happened over the years in Wilmington, DE. Both cities are very similar, although I think Wilmington's population is only half at about 75k.

I think for those who are familiar with Wilmington they will agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut