Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 03:11 PM

413 posts, read 317,503 times

Advertisements

Delaware has one of the most favorable atmospheres for corporations in America. Wilmington's rise is a direct result of a business friendly state that is actually fostering growth and attracting investment. It would be great for Connecticut to follow that example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 04:30 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Hartford should copy/emulate some of the improvements that have happened over the years in Wilmington, DE. Both cities are very similar, although I think Wilmington's population is only half at about 75k.

I think for those who are familiar with Wilmington they will agree with me.
Well, the city of Wilmington is similar to Hartford in one respect: Crime.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/12/19/w...me-290232.html

Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 PM

854 posts, read 1,241,927 times
Much of Wilmington, DE is dilapidated, except the Central Business District and the Joe Biden Railroad Hub.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:11 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post

Wilmington and Chester is like little Bmore and Philly

Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Is anyone a member of The Hartford Club? I guess they are trying to gain more membership and looking for younger people to join. Instead of sitting here bashing Connecticut I would really like to see what the (as the web site puts it) "who's who" of Hartford have to say about it.

Just seeing what others peoples experiences are. Plus, it could be a good forum to network.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:46 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Is anyone a member of The Hartford Club? I guess they are trying to gain more membership and looking for younger people to join. Instead of sitting here bashing Connecticut I would really like to see what the (as the web site puts it) "who's who" of Hartford have to say about it.

Just seeing what others peoples experiences are. Plus, it could be a good forum to network.
I'm a youngish member of a few social clubs, and nationwide there's a huge lack of interest. In my area only one club is doing somewhat well. But, lack of promotion and lack of connectivity has hurt the social clubs recently.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:30 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post

Quote from the article

"Cris Barrish, a News Journal investigative reporter who has chronicled Wilmington’s escalating crime for more than two decades. “It still has a solid corporate and residential core, with ritzy and trendy areas…. The shootings have devastated parts of the city but are generally confined to four or five poor neighborhoods that circle downtown, and they’ve turned into war zones.”

Same thing for Hartford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Wilmington and Chester is like little Bmore and Philly
Chester, PA is actually the only city that I ever visited in which I felt scared/unsafe. That place is a nightmare.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Quote from the article

"Cris Barrish, a News Journal investigative reporter who has chronicled Wilmington’s escalating crime for more than two decades. “It still has a solid corporate and residential core, with ritzy and trendy areas…. The shootings have devastated parts of the city but are generally confined to four or five poor neighborhoods that circle downtown, and they’ve turned into war zones.”

Same thing for Hartford.

Chester, PA is actually the only city that I ever visited in which I felt scared/unsafe. That place is a nightmare.
Chester is top ten list for most dangerous cities Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport typical in 50-70s range.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Quote from the article

Same thing for Hartford.
Agreed, but the reason I bring this up is because this is not an effective way to build, or even run, a city. And we both agreed, in an earlier post, that Hartford is devoting all its time, energy and money towards downtown, becoming a gated community of sorts, while the surrounding neighborhoods and the people in them are largely exempt from this supposed rennaissance. And, as I'm sure is the case in Wilmington, you have an outlying enclave of wealthy residents still within city limits (equivalent to West Side of Hartford) who just don't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to poverty and crime. When you do that, you're just asking for trouble.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:28 PM

Gov. Malloy Won't Push For Costly XL Center Upgrade - Hartford Courant

Trinity to sell Hartford building but still lease space for downtown campus - Hartford Courant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut