Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 09:58 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
So you had roving bands of teens crashing parties on campus and beating the crap out of the attendees? This wasn't some drunken bar fight. I went to school in a city larger than Hartford and never saw anything like this happen. This incident only reinforces the perception that the city is unsafe, and undermines the argument that the only people who need to fear violence in Hartford are gangbangers and drug dealers. Trinity is more protected than most, with a security force, gates and fences and the like and yet this still happened. Not a good look for Hartford.
Yes, you think this is the first time "townies" crashed a party at a college and a fight broke out? Come on now. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 02:03 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
A lawyer and City Councilor from Hartford is proposing that each town in the greater Hartford area pool their money and buy the Carolina Hurricanes (formerly the Hartford Whalers) and bring them back to Hartford. While it is an interesting idea, I doubt the towns will buy into it. Many towns have their own budget issues and this would only add to them. Besides, why would they want to own a team that would just play in one city. Jay

Let's Buy The Whalers And Bring Them Back Home - Hartford Courant

Old 05-05-2017, 02:19 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A lawyer and City Councilor from Hartford is proposing that each town in the greater Hartford area pool their money and buy the Carolina Hurricanes (formerly the Hartford Whalers) and bring them back to Hartford. While it is an interesting idea, I doubt the towns will buy into it. Many towns have their own budget issues and this would only add to them. Besides, why would they want to own a team that would just play in one city. Jay

I had season tickets back in the 90's. This was a time when the NHL was going through some serious changes. The Nordiques left, the North Stars left, and the Whalers left. The NHL wanted to expand down south to gain more capital. Politics wasn't as heavily involved with sports as they are now so teams had more flexibility in their own decisions. Now politics is getting so involved because politicians know it's a money grabber and that's all they care about. States are competing by offering incentives to keep teams from moving by building them stadiums with taxpayers money even when teams have more than enough money to do it themselves. With billions of dollars in the red and financial difficulties ahead, NHL teams are smart enough to not get involved here. Our economy is not performing well and other markets have clear advantages over Hartford. Seattle, Austin, Louisville, etc are MUCH better markets IMO. The only reason why people say we have a chance is our large corporate presence but the departure of GE doesn't leave a pretty picture.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:32 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
I went to a lot of Whaler games too dating back to the 80's. As much as I liked the Whale I wouldn't support spending tax payers money (even if it was borrowed) on any major league sports team. If a rich guy wants to do it on his own go for it.

IMO all of the major league sports need to be financing their own stadiums and even their own farm teams. They are raking in billions of dollars a year, so I think they can afford it.

If the Govt in Hartford or surrounding towns were flush with cash I would much rather seem them invest in schools, universities, community centers, elderly/disabled housing, head start, etc instead of spending cash on a sports team.

FWIW, I quit watching and caring about hockey after The Whale left Hartford. I couldn't name the top 5 players in the NHL today even if my life depended on it.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:05 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:

Pure foolishness. This op ed is example number one of why Hartford is a financial mess. Spend money you don't have, and while you're at it, spend some other people's money as well. I feel bad for Luke Bronin for having to work with morons like Mr. Gale on the city council.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:48 AM

504 posts, read 384,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Pure foolishness. This op ed is example number one of why Hartford is a financial mess. Spend money you don't have, and while you're at it, spend some other people's money as well. I feel bad for Luke Bronin for having to work with morons like Mr. Gale on the city council.
The likelihood of that happening is pretty much 0.0000000000000000000123%. Would love to see the Whale come back, but it will never happen with this scenario.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:42 PM

413 posts, read 317,503 times
The Whalers won exactly one playoff series the entire time they were in Hartford. One.

They leave town and within a couple of years they win the Stanley Cup.

That sounds like a curse.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:42 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
The Whalers won exactly one playoff series the entire time they were in Hartford. One.

They leave town and within a couple of years they win the Stanley Cup.

That sounds like a curse.
In the NHL, yes.

In the WHA, I believe they won more than one.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:09 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,975,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
In the NHL, yes.

In the WHA, I believe they won more than one.
They won one Avco Cup in the WHA - before they moved to Hartford.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:23 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:

And this is exactly the sort of fiscal liberalism that has brought our state to its knees in the first place. It also explains why I stopped reading the Hartford Courant since op-eds like this are the sort of conventional wisdom (if it can be called that) it spews, and it is beyond foolish. So we should forget about ensuring our schools are adequately funded, put aside any budgetary concerns we may have, and instead pool our public dollars into a private investment project, is what they're saying. Smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut