Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 6,938 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating from Columbus, OH to the Middletown CT area. I'm an artist/academic and would be working in Middletown. A short commute is nice, but school quality is most important. We're fairly liberal, and have lived in many parts of the country. My kids are going into 1st and 4th grades. We would be renting to begin with, and would like to land in a neighborhood/city with either very good or preferably excellent schools. My 4th grader is currently in a gifted/talented program, and I'd love to find a district that would provide him those services. We are looking for housing values under $250k, and rents under $1600. We'd love to be in a somewhat urban walkable neighborhood if a good one exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:39 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,782,969 times
One thing about CT is if you're looking for good schools you have to avoid the major and mid size cities. There can be exceptions, for example it's possible to have one good school in a specific neighborhood, but I wouldn't count on that.

If schools are you're top priority you will have to avoid Middletown IMO. Look at the smaller towns that border Middletown for starters. Some are more rural than others. As a renter I would rank Cromwell at number #1. It has a lot of units especially condos for rent under $1600. When it's time to buy you can expand your zone more. Cromwell to Middletown would be an easy commute too. You may not even have to drive on the highway depending on where you work in Middletown.

(Middletown is in Middlesex county)

Old 05-30-2015, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 6,938 times
Thank you so much! I will definitely investigate Cromwell, and look into the rest of the county.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:15 AM

2,486 posts, read 4,685,850 times
Cromwell is fine, but it isn't a walkable community. However, if it boils down to walkability vs. schools, then it's the better option. Schools in Middletown actually aren't that bad, but Cromwell's are definitely better. Another town to consider may be Wallingford. It's a nice suburb with a walkable downtown and the schools are good. Just a thought.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 05-31-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 11:18 AM

4,712 posts, read 5,918,570 times
there are several towns close to Middletown that have good schools, but often don't have that walkable town center - Middlefield and Durham combine to make the Coginchaug School District, which is pretty good. Both towns are fairly rural in nature, though. Just south of Middlefield and Durham, you have Guilford and Madison that both have very good town centers that are nice and walkable and both towns also offer excellent schools. However, both towns are expensive and you'd be looking at a modest ranch home in either town for $250k.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:01 PM

21,500 posts, read 27,747,936 times
Wallingford is a good suggestion.

Chester, Deep River, Old Saybrook, etc. are not urban but do have nice walkable centers. Old Saybrook and Guilford being the most significant. If you can find a rental near them, it could make for a nice walkable area to live.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:50 AM

34,648 posts, read 56,419,084 times
So the OP understands Middletown is actually a small city so it has some of the same issue you would find in a large city including poorly performing schools. I agree with the others that the nearest town to Middletown that would likely have most of what you are looking for is Cromwell. The schools perform well and there are rentals within your budget. I should note though that Cromwell is not necessarily that walkable. Portions of the town do have places to walk but I think you will find it not really what most people consider to be walkable. The nearest town to Middletown that most people would consider walkable is West Hartford but you should note it is over 20 miles away from Middletown. only you can decide if it will be worth it to travel that distance.

Other towns you might want to consider would be Rocky Hill, Newington and Wethersfield. These towns are very nice and have very good performing schools. Old Wethersfield is very charming with many beautiful and historic old homes. It can be considered to be walkable but do not expect there to be a large downtown area to walk around. It just has a couple of small shops and a few restaurants. Still it is very charming. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut