Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 PM

54 posts, read 80,414 times

Advertisements

CT brings in the second most in taxes per capita, due in large part to having affluent taxpayers. How does CT spend that money compared to other states? I know we have good schools with comparatively high teacher salaries. What else does the state do with that extra money?

I don't want this to devolve into a partisan argument. I'm just wondering how CT's state spending compares to to other states'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 12:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucareshokiesrul View Post
CT brings in the second most in taxes per capita, due in large part to having affluent taxpayers. How does CT spend that money compared to other states? I know we have good schools with comparatively high teacher salaries. What else does the state do with that extra money?

I don't want this to devolve into a partisan argument. I'm just wondering how CT's state spending compares to to other states'.
I don't think you will get a non partisan answer, but if you're really curious I suppose you can look at CT's budget and compare it to other states' budgets. I think you would have to make adjustments based on population too, so you may have to drill down to "per capita stats"

Old 05-31-2015, 04:34 PM

642 posts, read 859,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucareshokiesrul View Post

I believe that a few of the things that CT has as opposed to states that tax less is more services and programs for the disabled, poor and elderly of CT. I think that is a very good thing. It seems to me CT is a very benevolent and caring state.

BTW, this is a non-partisan answer as I am a Centrist and have been an Independent all of my adult life.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:23 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I believe that a few of the things that CT has as opposed to states that tax less is more services and programs for the disabled, poor and elderly of CT. I think that is a very good thing. It seems to me CT is a very benevolent and caring state.
A lot of it is going for pensions and retiree health care.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:35 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
A lot of it is going for pensions and retiree health care.
And pensions. The ONLY reason we are in budgetary trouble is retiree health care and state pension obligations. When the system came in to being you retired at 65 and croaked at 70. Now people live to be 90 and we're paying benefits all those years.

Or as someone wiser than me put it: "We're paying for a current police department, one that retired within the last 20 years, one that retired 20 years ago and some that retired 40 years ago..."

Old 06-01-2015, 12:34 PM

642 posts, read 859,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
And pensions. The ONLY reason we are in budgetary trouble is retiree health care and state pension obligations. When the system came in to being you retired at 65 and croaked at 70. Now people live to be 90 and we're paying benefits all those years.

Or as someone wiser than me put it: "We're paying for a current police department, one that retired within the last 20 years, one that retired 20 years ago and some that retired 40 years ago..."
I am sure that is true and that certainly needs to be addressed. But all of the other states have people getting healthcare and pension for years also I would assume.

Here is something anecdotal about my neighborhood in Trumbull. My husband and I (both in the private sector all our lives) will need to move away in retirement because we won't be able to afford the taxes. Most of my neighbors also move in retirement. All of my elderly neighbors who have stayed here have either worked for a local or state government.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:50 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
One thing I have to say is our roads are in really good shape for being a northeastern state…

I was in RI and southeast MA this weekend and DAMN, the roads are in crap shape. That and the sides of the roads are all overgrown and just look ugly. This is even in the nicer areas. Once we got back into CT it was a huge difference. Made me appreciate it more...

Old 06-01-2015, 04:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
One thing I have to say is our roads are in really good shape for being a northeastern state…

I was in RI and southeast MA this weekend and DAMN, the roads are in crap shape. That and the sides of the roads are all overgrown and just look ugly. This is even in the nicer areas. Once we got back into CT it was a huge difference. Made me appreciate it more...

That isn't much to brag about since IMO Rhode Island has the worst roads in the country. The roads are so bad you actually have to drive slow, especially in Providence.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:24 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That isn't much to brag about since IMO Rhode Island has the worst roads in the country. The roads are so bad you actually have to drive slow, especially in Providence.
Yeah but even in Mass, the nicer Boston suburbs, the roads weren't up to par of CT suburbs. Not sure if its the state or the towns that are lacking..

Old 06-01-2015, 04:45 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
Ballotpedia seems to have some good numbers.

Texas spends twice as high a % of its total budget on K-12 education as Connecticut does. Connecticut's 'Other' which includes pensions, is 300% of Texas's.

On the other hand, Connecticut's per capita spending is almost double that of Texas.

Connecticut state budget and finances - Ballotpedia
Texas state budget and finances - Ballotpedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut