Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:46 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times

Advertisements

He did make a statement after Sandy Hook and mentioned that one of his sisters went to the school. Taking his name off the stadium was a little weird even though he's not in town much. Given that most people who have high school courts or fields named after them aren't making huge contributions (nor is their family), I don't see how Jenner is any different.

As for the transgender thing - whatever, doesn't bother me. What does kind of annoy me though is that he chose too young a name. For some reason going with a name for girls under thirty is far more a travesty for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:03 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
He did make a statement after Sandy Hook and mentioned that one of his sisters went to the school. Taking his name off the stadium was a little weird even though he's not in town much. Given that most people who have high school courts or fields named after them aren't making huge contributions (nor is their family), I don't see how Jenner is any different.

As for the transgender thing - whatever, doesn't bother me. What does kind of annoy me though is that he chose too young a name. For some reason going with a name for girls under thirty is far more a travesty for me.
Exactly, should have went with Agnes or Harriett.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:50 AM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
I believe the sentiment of Newtown was that they got shafted by Bruce Jenner and disrespected. He seems quite disconnected from Connecticut. Like I said, no one laments or regrets naming the stadium after him. I'm glad as a former student that we don't. Not cause of recent events. Even a decade back, I held similar sentiments.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:55 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
You're embarrassing csiko if you equate gays with trans!!!! Tran does NOT equate Gay. Read the damn "Handbook" and educate yourself!!!!" Lol!
I don't. Don't misunderstand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. The stadium was named for him for a reason. He is a notable Olympic athlete that went to the high school. They should have kept the name no matter what. Jay
I don't understand why they would change it either.

Quote:
I believe the sentiment of Newtown was that they got shafted by Bruce Jenner and disrespected. He seems quite disconnected from Connecticut. Like I said, no one laments or regrets naming the stadium after him. I'm glad as a former student that we don't. Not cause of recent events. Even a decade back, I held similar sentiments.
Not really a valid enough reason to change it, IMO. Did they have his blessing when they decided on the name? I assume no.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:47 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Still makes no sense to me. Every high school in the state has someone's name on their field and I don't see them demanding that person or his/her family show them some love and cash. Personally, I think a high school should be honored that a student catapulted to other things after they graduated. It means they did their job. And it's much better than than a multi-generational family hanging around town insisting things be named after them based on a kids' glory days.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:08 AM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
Well, at that point, the matter is subjective. I think it's a valid reason to disconnect yourself from Jenner if she wasn't bothered by it. Danbury News Times did state that his brother's tragic death in the state and his stronger connection to Westchester County might play a disdain for Newtown/Connecticut. I don't know. Either way, he only visited like a couple times and never showed any interest in Connecticut much after he left. I prefer the stadium having a neutral name or honoring something/some place in Newtown (or nearby).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut