Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Ugh can't believe it's going to be another ice mess. Hopefully since they pretreated the highways this time won't be as bad as the last one a week or so ago.
What ice mess? No chance of a problem this time.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:04 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Oh cool heard sleet and a trace of ice like oh no. Last one was a nightmare to drive in at midnight.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:58 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Oh cool heard sleet and a trace of ice like oh no. Last one was a nightmare to drive in at midnight.
Actually though a small threat, NWS considered it enough of one to post a Winter Weather Advisory for what in CT was basically the I-84 stretch from Danbury to Hartford and points north. But looks like it was a dud as the only area near us still under one is far northwest New Jersey.

All NWS is showing in their 7 day for snow right now is "snow showers, 30% chance" for Tuesday night into Wednesday. It does follow it with much colder weather (even in NYC it's showing teens for lows and highs near or below freezing) so maybe that's when it all begins.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:13 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Keep in mind... this was said as we were just coming out of a torching record warm pattern. What I was seeing is being confirmed.

Dec 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
some interesting changes and times ahead. Cold shots will get more common now and deeper if that Polar Vortex does indeed move into southern Canada.
Dec 31st

Quote:
This ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

Complete pattern change. One might say Abrupt?

499 DAM?? Yeah, Vortex getting closer.

As I said.. No more well above normal/warm days anymore. Complete change going on.

So instead of having more warm days then seasonable. We're having more cold days then seasonable. January might end up below normal if that continues all month.

Jan 4th

Quote:
Welcome to the new pattern change.
DeJaVu?
So we got this clipper mid week which will bring us scattered light snow. Big whoop. But the cold is staying and we get arctic blast after arctic blast.

I will say ...

IF THERE IS A PATTERN TO GET BIG EASTERN SNOWSTORMS................

THIS

IS

IT!

2 Jet Streams and we finally got Arctic air pouring down.

Timing, Timing, Timing

Location, Location, Location

Old 01-09-2016, 07:42 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
I must say Cambium, that the models look like they are backing off from the previous cold shots they were showing next week.

All of next week only looks seasonably cold with near normal temps for January (still cold in comparison from what we were spoiled with of course) but I'm still not seeing prolonged stretches of colder than average temps in the future.

Am I missing something?

Old 01-09-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I must say Cambium, that the models look like they are backing off from the previous cold shots they were showing next week.

All of next week only looks seasonably cold with near normal temps for January (still cold in comparison from what we were spoiled with of course) but I'm still not seeing prolonged stretches of colder than average temps in the future.

Am I missing something?
Dead on. I guess after a month of double digit degrees above normal, average weather seems like a cold wave. This is just typical January weather without any snow as the storms keep running west and north of us.

Interesting note: Accuweather CONTINUES to a hold a stretch of below normal snowy weather in the February 8-15 period. Over a week now. Very curious how that pans out.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:25 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

Am I missing something?
Nope, your right. Nobody said anything about extreme cold but as you know forecasts are always conservative so we'll see. I see below freezing Highs and teens for lows coming and I'm sure there could be a couple of single digit nights and Low 20s days coming. We already had single digits last week so why not again.

Point was & is .. the pattern has completely shifted from a southerly flow with a Ridge in the East to Arctic blasts and a NW flow.

Normal max is Mid-upper 30s in CT.
Normal low is upper teens now. Mid Teens north of Merrit.

Normal High Temperatures - AerisWeather

Old 01-09-2016, 08:28 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Bit far out but the week of the 20th aren't they predicting high forties with a shot of cold for 2 day's and a possibility snow could happen the 26th.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Bit far out but the week of the 20th aren't they predicting high forties with a shot of cold for 2 day's and a possibility snow could happen the 26th.
Yea.. actually area around 20th might give us something.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:31 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
Quote:
Keep in mind... this was said as we were just coming out of a torching record warm pattern. What I was seeing is being confirmed.

Dec 31

Dec 31st

Jan 4th

So we got this clipper mid week which will bring us scattered light snow. Big whoop. But the cold is staying and we get arctic blast after arctic blast.

I will say ...

IF THERE IS A PATTERN TO GET BIG EASTERN SNOWSTORMS................

THIS

IS

IT!

2 Jet Streams and we finally got Arctic air pouring down.

Timing, Timing, Timing

Location, Location, Location
Cam- You need to take a trip out west!

Just got in from spending 2 weeks in Colorado and New Mexico. Deep winter out there with cold and snow. Telluride CO was buried and it was freezing cold and snowing just about every day I was there. Denver is only a 3 hour flight from the NYC area....

Im not writing off this winter here in CT but I think the pattern is setup where the west is getting the snow and cold. Which they desperately need.

This graphic sums it up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut