Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Stay in CT 19 24.05%
Move to OH 60 75.95%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:51 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,827,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjembe mutombo View Post
For someone so interested in gay communities and gay PDA, I'm surprised Columbus was the furthest west you looked. Austin, Denver, Portland, San Fran, and Seattle are much more gay friendly. The difference is exponential.
Gay PDA can be seen in the urban center of Columbus. I saw it when I was there. It's not that important to me.

San Fran, Seattle, Portland and Denver are all expensive places with horrible traffic. I hate Austin. Columbus has light traffic, is gay friendly, has tons of jobs and is affordable. I like it.

Also, Columbus has a larger gay population than Austin.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:43 AM

24 posts, read 27,724 times
Yeah, they are all pricier than Columbus. Austin has changed a lot in the past 5 years, and it is still all about finding the right neighborhood. Denver and Portland are actually the cheapest of the cities. Both are currently pretty reasonable when it comes to renting in urban neighborhoods. Denver is actually surprisingly reasonable since rates are almost flat across the board opposed to other cities. Decent city living can be achieved with a $1k/mo budget.

I've lived in Austin, Syracuse, Hartford, Indianapolis, Houston, Los Angeles, Boston and Denver. Denver's traffic isn't too bad, and is totally out of the question if you live and work close to downtown. Austin can get pretty bad, but it isn't even comparable to the traffic of bigger Texas cities such as Houston.

I highly doubt Columbus has a higher gay population than Austin because Austin was second to San Fran when I was living there a decade ago. As stated before, it is all about neighborhood in that city. There are your ultra conservative neighborhoods in the burbs, but most of the urban neighborhoods with century old houses are much more liberal.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjembe mutombo View Post
Yeah, they are all pricier than Columbus. Austin has changed a lot in the past 5 years, and it is still all about finding the right neighborhood. Denver and Portland are actually the cheapest of the cities. Both are currently pretty reasonable when it comes to renting in urban neighborhoods. Denver is actually surprisingly reasonable since rates are almost flat across the board opposed to other cities. Decent city living can be achieved with a $1k/mo budget.

I've lived in Austin, Syracuse, Hartford, Indianapolis, Houston, Los Angeles, Boston and Denver. Denver's traffic isn't too bad, and is totally out of the question if you live and work close to downtown. Austin can get pretty bad, but it isn't even comparable to the traffic of bigger Texas cities such as Houston.

I highly doubt Columbus has a higher gay population than Austin because Austin was second to San Fran when I was living there a decade ago. As stated before, it is all about neighborhood in that city. There are your ultra conservative neighborhoods in the burbs, but most of the urban neighborhoods with century old houses are much more liberal.
Columbus does have a slightly larger gay population than Austin, by about 1%. And Columbus is a slightly larger metro than Austin.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,499,151 times
You mentioned your last day in CT is the 29th - when do you start your new job in Columbus?

Hopefully you'll have time to find an apartment and move in before starting the new job, and that you're able to have an extra-short commute.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
You mentioned your last day in CT is the 29th - when do you start your new job in Columbus?

Hopefully you'll have time to find an apartment and move in before starting the new job, and that you're able to have an extra-short commute.
My new job starts on July 6th. I will be staying in an extended stay hotel for at least 6 days, so that I can look at apartments and hopefully lock one down very quickly. But I'm not going to rush too much. I have to make sure it's a good apartment this time around, in a QUIET location with no busy road, and hopefully better soundproofing between units. There are TONS of apartments and complexes in the Cbus area...it's overwhelming. I expect to find a nice place for $800-1,100 a month.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:57 AM

The head of my department made a last ditch effort to make me stay here, or make me stay a few extra days, because everybody loves me. I told him I simply can't, because there's not enough leeway.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:54 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,499,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The head of my department made a last ditch effort to make me stay here, or make me stay a few extra days, because everybody loves me. I told him I simply can't, because there's not enough leeway.
It's nice to know that you're valued.

Yeah, you'll need at least a week to make the actual move, and I would say that's cutting close as it is.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:58 AM

The head of my department is an old school long island Italian guy who raised his eyebrows when I told him that I'm moving to Columbus. He thinks it's all cornfields. What an elitist ignorant idiot. I had to explain to him that the Columbus metro has 2 million people and more of a vibrant urban environment than ANYTHING in CT.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:08 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,475,112 times
Nep, I get this all the time from my "big city" friends when I mention an interest in places like VA (or even CT for that mattter). Everyone always asks, like I'm going into outer space or something, "what's there?" My go-to line is "I'm just ready for a new adventure. " Usually saves the convo from devolving into something worse. I can't blame them though.. that was me once, having spent my entire life anchored to a Western or NE "it" city. I'm just now opening my eyes to the rest of our beautiful country.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:18 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,150,427 times
38 pages of the same repetitive verbal diarrhea and no end in sight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut