Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:45 AM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

dazzleman"The politicians in this state are just junkees who are addicted to higher and higher levels of spending because that is how they buy votes."

Bingo, and Malloy is the poster child of that. Raising taxes has been his M.O. His tenure has explained perfectly why his party was out of the governor's office for 2 decades.

Notice, since this came to a head, he has not even talked about (one iota) ways to save money and spend less, as alternatives. Ct is deeply lagging behind the nation in jobs regained post Great Recession, and that is IMO a big cause of it. No one has faith that Malloy will not raise taxes again, even though he campaigned promising 2nd term tax increases would not occur, and the budget was balanced. (In fairness, I'm not sure he meant Connecticut's was balanced (sar).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:50 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Not sure economies of scale applies here Bob. GE's employees per capita offer no savings on use of infrastructure because they work for GE.

Small business owners like myself pay more because GE pays less.

If you want small businesses to become large employers then they should get the tax breaks and support.
I don't think you realize what the CT budget calls for. Connecticut has become the first state (and in effect country) to impose a 20% surtax on a company’s annual tax liability—a tax on a tax—and for the first time taxing Connecticut companies on their world-wide income, rather than what they earn in the state. Any multi-national ought to pack up and leave immediately regardless of relocation costs or talent departure. We have just become tax pirates and it's time to send a message. Odds are this may escalate to the U.S. superme court on an interstate commerce basis as well as to the IMF/UN.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Wilton2ParkAve, But it's taxing the big guys. The poster thinks that is a sport.

So is making states compete for corps seeking to relocate. GE told the governor this week "Bring it on".

Once any insurer of size moves (and Des Moines is right behind Hartford in industry job qty now), and others see it went smoothly, bigger ones will follow.

Manufacturing (outside of government related stuff like UTC's) pretty much fled Ct en masse. Insurance is even less constrained from doing the same. With 21st century technology, insurance corps can move anywhere, and the talent will follow.

We all have talked with many Met Life employees who followed them, or are planning to, down to NC.

Some posters think corps are hostages. 4 major Ct corps reminded the state they are not, with 3 considering outright departure.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Taxing corps on worldwide income would be the same as taxing Ct residents working on Wall Street a FULL NY state and NY city resident income tax plus a full Ct State income tax.

That doesn't occur, as each state recognizes taxes paid to others as deductions against the income taxes associated with the location of the job.

Would you like that deduction to go away, MLassoff? Have the Kid from FFC working in Mid-Town pay full NY, full NYC, plus full Ct state income taxes?

If not, you are being hypocritical to expect Ct corps to pay taxes AGAIN for profits they are taxed on elsewhere..where they occur.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 AM

564 posts, read 873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
janster100, I doubt that is true ..net..which is what counts. Jobs created are usually calculated w/o considering bankruptcies, and 9 in 10 small corps fail inside 5 years. They seldom pay back creditors when they do. We should reduce jobs they add both for job losses when they close, and supplier jobs lost when they fail to honor their debts upon dissolving.

If we did that, I have little doubt small business is a minority of true, sustained long-term job creation.

Americans tend to gloss over that, cause it misses their fairy tale view of Joe, the Shopkeeper..with a little country store. 90% of Joes failed.

Sorry, Bob, but you are wrong and simple Google search would have given you the answer. There are many sources to support this, but let's just go with what the government says:

https://www.sba.gov/content/small-bu...-trends-impact

Secondly, large and small companies go bankrupt. So what? It has nothing to do with taxing a business. Secondly, you are talking about small business failures from start-up. That is a different number versus existing business.

Bottom line is that small businesses have been, and are still, the larger contributor of new jobs. Why should they be paying a higher rate?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:01 AM

Both large and small corps legally follow tax laws passed by your beloved legislature, janster100. Might want to ask them why they wrote the tax laws as they did (LOL).

Old 06-07-2015, 10:23 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
CT is out of it's mind. As one of the, what, 3 states? that have an annual tax on vehicles for the privilege of driving of their crappy liberal roads can't find enough money to fix these roads? Not even NY, the mother of the liberal tax system, has an annual vehicle tax (the father, California does however).

My wife and I will pay over 1k this year for vehicle property tax. This state realllyyy needs to get it's act together.

3 semester left and then I'm selling this house, taking my graduate degree and work experience the hell out of here. Biotech is growing much faster in other parts of the country as well. Way more companies are on their way out than in. CT will see growth in Alexion, Jackson Labs and Mt Sinai, that's about it. We have professional development seminars with key industry speakers on a weekly basis in our program and last semester 3 of the 8 voluntarily and specifically mentioned that CT is not poised well for substantial growth in the biotech space and that many existing operations have moved or are planning to move. Most of the [employed] graduates from my program moved elsewhere; boston, atlanta, san diego, etc. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty sweet gig, unfortunately the state itself is driving me out.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 06-07-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 10:49 AM

564 posts, read 873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Both large and small corps legally follow tax laws passed by your beloved legislature, janster100. Might want to ask them why they wrote the tax laws as they did (LOL).
Yes, Bob, we all know why the laws are the way the are. So, I take it that you now agree about my point regarding jobs from small businesses.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:42 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I don't think you realize what the CT budget calls for. Connecticut has become the first state (and in effect country) to impose a 20% surtax on a company’s annual tax liability—a tax on a tax—and for the first time taxing Connecticut companies on their world-wide income, rather than what they earn in the state. Any multi-national ought to pack up and leave immediately regardless of relocation costs or talent departure. We have just become tax pirates and it's time to send a message. Odds are this may escalate to the U.S. superme court on an interstate commerce basis as well as to the IMF/UN.
I will have to correct you on this. CT is not the only state to have a "unitary tax" on corporations. NY for example passed the same law last year in 2014.

There have already been at least 5 cases dating back to the 80's challenging parts of the unitary tax. As far as I can tell the US Supreme court has ruled against every plaintiff so far. Some of those cases are listed here under the title "Supreme court decisions"

CPA Journal Online

The only significant case I can find where the US Supreme court ruled in favor of the plaintiffs is
State Taxation of Multinationals: Combined Reporting

With that said I don't think any corporations are going to waste time on court cases given the poor history of winning these cases. IMF and UN have no jurisdiction over anything so I don't know why you would bring them into the fold. If anything the US controls both of these organizations and no country inside is going to challenge the US.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:22 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Not sure economies of scale applies here Bob. GE's employees per capita offer no savings on use of infrastructure because they work for GE.

Small business owners like myself pay more because GE pays less.

If you want small businesses to become large employers then they should get the tax breaks and support.

How much more do you pay if GE leaves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut