Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 AM

371 posts, read 1,561,964 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the Danbury area but are looking to move closer to Westchester for husbands commute. Both will offer an easy commute as long as we stay near the NY border but I can't seem to make up my mind which school district would be better for my children. I know both are good but which is better? Both made the top 500 high schools in the country but that I know could always change. Which town has more to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 12:50 PM

164 posts, read 781,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
We currently live in the Danbury area but are looking to move closer to Westchester for husbands commute. Both will offer an easy commute as long as we stay near the NY border but I can't seem to make up my mind which school district would be better for my children. I know both are good but which is better? Both made the top 500 high schools in the country but that I know could always change. Which town has more to offer?
They are both very nice towns to raise a family - Ridgefield being much more expensive as it's closer to Westchester and NYC than New Fairfield. To get to 684 in Westchester from the center of Ridgefield, you take Route 35 and from NF, you take 84 to 684. Schools in both towns are excellent.

If you don't mind paying more for a shorter commute, consider Ridgefield. If you want a less expensive home and don't mind a commute that's 10 minutes longer, NF may be your best bet. Keep in mind, NF gets a bit congested during the summer months due to wealthy NYers having homes on Candlewood Lake.

If I were to choose, I'd spend a bit more to live in Ridgefield. JMO however. Good luck

Old 01-21-2008, 02:19 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,384,772 times
As a realtor, I can not discuss schools. New Fairfield is more affordable and only a few minutes further commute. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM

34,630 posts, read 56,360,262 times
Though both school systems are excellent, Ridgefield schools score slightly better than New Fairfield. I doubt it really means much though since both systems seem to have class sizes that are about the same (just over 20 students per class). Ridgefield is closer to Westchester and is often RAVED about on this Board and in various publications. I think that gives it a slight edge as well. BUT... as JAD200 noted, New Fairfield homes are less expensive so it may be worth the extra distance. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut