Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:19 AM

31 posts, read 47,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would never say Brooklawn is unsafe. The crimes you mentioned can and do happen in any town. If though you and your wife is not used to hearing about these things in nearby areas, then maybe you should be looking in a more quiet less urban town. Jay
In the same city yes, but within a mile of your home is different. The logic of 'something bad can happen anywhere' can be used to justify living anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:25 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNaylor44 View Post
In the same city yes, but within a mile of your home is different. The logic of 'something bad can happen anywhere' can be used to justify living anywhere.
As mentioned there is a stigma associated with a close border to Bridgeport where 100% of the perpetrators originate so lower prices than the rest of town. Many who live there will say it's all hunky dory and great, and others will just avoid it and look elsewhere, personal preference.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:56 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Brooklawn Park is beautiful. I love the architecture of the homes there. As a kid I would ride my bike through the neighborhood admiring all the stunning homes. As you noted, homes there are priced lower than other parts of Fairfield due to the stigma of being so close to Bridgeport. In reality that stigma is a bit over blown since some of the nicest parts of Bridgeport border Fairfield. We do have a regular here on this forum who lives in Brooklawn and he loves it. He has a beautiful home that he paid significantly less for than if it was located in another part of town. Whether it would be worth it or not for you is your decision.

There are not many parts of Fairfield that would be similar to Brooklawn Park. The area was built as an upscale neighborhood for Bridgeport's most wealthy families about 100 years ago so you will find very well built homes with high quality architecture that you would not find in other parts of town. As was noted, there are some homes in parts of Stratfield like Toilsome Hill that are close but still not quite the same. Same could be said for Fairfield Center or the lower University neighborhood. Southport obviously has many stunning homes too but you are going to pay top dollar for them. Good luck, Jay
I think you're talking about me. I love the area and even putting price aside, I liked the inventory of homes and their property better there than in other parts of town. The crime rate is not higher here than in the rest of the town.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think you're talking about me. I love the area and even putting price aside, I liked the inventory of homes and their property better there than in other parts of town. The crime rate is not higher here than in the rest of the town.
Appreciate the contribution Dazzleman. To ask a more pointed question, just as my wife and I are sorting through things, do you feel that the crime rate for a $1MM home in this part of town exceeds that of a $1MM home elswhere in Fairfield?

Thanks again.

Nick

Old 06-15-2015, 12:51 PM

399 posts, read 851,152 times
Any concern, if I had one, with spending $1mm in Brooklawn wouldn't be around crime - there's not really much of it anywhere in Fairfield. For me it'd be that I think there are nicer areas and homes to buy for that price level, and I like being closer to town and the beach, etc but now we're just talking personal preference.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:54 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNaylor44 View Post
Appreciate the contribution Dazzleman. To ask a more pointed question, just as my wife and I are sorting through things, do you feel that the crime rate for a $1MM home in this part of town exceeds that of a $1MM home elswhere in Fairfield?

Thanks again.

Nick
I'll give a full answer later tonight.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:54 PM

399 posts, read 851,152 times
I think if you like the area (location, housing stock, etc) and find a house you like, then go for it. Everything else really is just opinion and preference.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:30 PM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Nick,

I would think twice about paying that much for Brooklawn. The school district and crime/proximity to Bridgeport make it a tough resell. A lot of the crime is non violent but car theft and burglaries are probably, per capita, higher than other parts of Fairfield. I would also be careful to watch for flood zones. I liked homes there too but you can find nice ones in Stratfield and Upper Stratfield. Actually I count three beautiful new construction homes, probably 4000 sq ft, that they just built by the lake area. All right at or below 1 million. There is a solid buffer from Bridgeport but 12m from Fairfield center. Sorry, I am all about resale. Several people I know got eaten alive during last bubble.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Nick,

I would think twice about paying that much for Brooklawn. The school district and crime/proximity to Bridgeport make it a tough resell. A lot of the crime is non violent but car theft and burglaries are probably, per capita, higher than other parts of Fairfield. I would also be careful to watch for flood zones. I liked homes there too but you can find nice ones in Stratfield and Upper Stratfield. Actually I count three beautiful new construction homes, probably 4000 sq ft, that they just built by the lake area. All right at or below 1 million. There is a solid buffer from Bridgeport but 12m from Fairfield center. Sorry, I am all about resale. Several people I know got eaten alive during last bubble.
Can appreciate this, no need to apologize. I try to view buying a home as a transfer of assets from cash to real estate. Therefore if five dollars of cash turns into real estate, I want to know that real estate is worth five dollars if I need to turn it back into cash. Obviously transaction costs, upkeep, property taxes, etc... chew away at that, but comparable to yourself my preeminent goal (outside of safety) is making sure I'm not paying 10 dollars for a 5 dollar bill.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:05 PM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Nick,

Cheers. You will find something great for 1 mil and Fairfield is a great town overall. Having just been through the process, I would hesitate to believe any realtor mouthing about "hot areas" or "gentrification" in Fairfield. That is bubble talk. Stick to the solid areas that have weathered the ups and downs. Fairfield ain't Brooklyn or Hoboken. There's no hipster movement coming 50 miles from NYC. They love to push Blackrock area but still pretty dicey in terms of location. Lots of stores and restaurants come and go. Probably plateaued on that side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut