Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,765 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from the Uk with 2 kids (5 and 6) and are over here house hunting.

Before we came over I decided that; size of home wasn't everything, we wanted pavements, good schools, direct link with NYC, beach and a great sense of community - thus I had plumped upon Fairfield. We visited Fairfield and loved it, everything we wanted and a great town. There was nothing not to like!

Then we drove up to Ridgefield to visit a house on the behest of a friend, more to discount the place than anything. I live in a city in the UK and I was POSITIVE I would not want to live in the county (Deer, ticks, woods, snow.....). Then I saw the town and literally fell in love - That movie theatre, the art gallery, that cute mainstream, those enormous houses (maybe i do want space?!). It seems family friendly and the schools look great (and we also have the option of private with the company?).

So now I am awake at 3am confused as anything - I am sure there will be no 'wrong' decisions but has anyone else been through this same conundurum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 06:55 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Its a great town. We looked at Fairfield, Wilton and Ridgefield about 5 years ago and ended up in Wilton, but I think if we had found the right house we could have ended up in Ridgefield or Fairfield.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:32 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Ridgefield is a beautiful town. It is great for families and the schools are excellent. It would be hard to discount it on any points. The only thing is train service is not that great. There is a stop on the Danbury line but service is limited and not convenient for a commute into Manhattan. Many though drive over to the Harlem Line in New York which is much better. Good luck with your decision. Jay

Old 06-16-2015, 07:37 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Yeah, Ridgefield is awesome. No ugly concrete buildings or urban areas around to look at. Homes are spaced out. Little town centers for shopping. Friendly people. Dense woods around.

I'm working in a part of Greenwich right now I never been through. Mansions strategically placed in woods. An area where they arent scared of trees falling. Right near the roads and homes. These homes are nuts and makes you wonder why you need so much space but then you realize how great it would be to not have a neighbor on top of you

Old 06-16-2015, 09:38 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayds70 View Post
We are relocating from the Uk with 2 kids (5 and 6) and are over here house hunting.

Before we came over I decided that; size of home wasn't everything, we wanted pavements, good schools, direct link with NYC, beach and a great sense of community - thus I had plumped upon Fairfield. We visited Fairfield and loved it, everything we wanted and a great town. There was nothing not to like!

Then we drove up to Ridgefield to visit a house on the behest of a friend, more to discount the place than anything. I live in a city in the UK and I was POSITIVE I would not want to live in the county (Deer, ticks, woods, snow.....). Then I saw the town and literally fell in love - That movie theatre, the art gallery, that cute mainstream, those enormous houses (maybe i do want space?!). It seems family friendly and the schools look great (and we also have the option of private with the company?).

So now I am awake at 3am confused as anything - I am sure there will be no 'wrong' decisions but has anyone else been through this same conundurum?
Yes.

When my first two were babies, I was hell bent on a small town with a suburb-rural feel. I found a family friendly town with lots to do for little kids and decent schools. We bought a house set back from the road and it was a great when the kids were small. It still is, but...I have to admit now that the kids are older and constantly on the go, there are more days than not that I want to be in a bigger town or city. Reasons being: stimulation; tired of the same people; CONVENIENCE; proximity to stores, restaurants, movie theater, library, YMCA, etc; sidewalks.

I'm over taking care of a yard this size, the pool has been great but it's not even open yet because we are hardly home, a spacious house can be nice when you are in the hunker down early phase but I've learned you can maximize any size home if you're willing to toss out clutter, snow...don't get me started. LOL, in my area resale of large houses is not easy, and even though my kids are thriving - I know that some days they wish they interacted with more than the kids they've known since kindergarten. Yes ticks are annoying, but deer are nice as long as they don't go after my hostas too early in the season.

Having said all this, Ridgefield is a very nice and well managed town with plenty to do. I think (someone will correct me here) that's the only town in the state that wasn't impacted by the re market downturn. The schools are superb and there's really no reason to go private unless you want it for religious reasons.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:33 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Can't go wrong with either town. Commute might be the tipping point. If you can get a house near the train station in Fairfield in either the center or Southport, that's going to be a quicker commute than from almost anywhere in Ridgefield.

That said, if you're not close to the train station, that could change everything, and parking is slim unless you have a permit. Fairfield Metro has plenty of parking, but it's a longer ride.

From Ridgefield, most people take the Katonah station. I haven't taken that station in years so I'm not sure what the parking situation is. It's worth going on Google Maps to compute your commute from various locations. It will give you times for driving to the station, and for the train ride itself at given times.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:56 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,740 times
We looked in the area too and LOVED Ridgefield. Weston, Westport, Fairfield are all great towns. Depends on budget and commute though. Westport was our of our budget- but our favorite town along with Ridgefield.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:40 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Can't go wrong with either town. Commute might be the tipping point. If you can get a house near the train station in Fairfield in either the center or Southport, that's going to be a quicker commute than from almost anywhere in Ridgefield.

That said, if you're not close to the train station, that could change everything, and parking is slim unless you have a permit. Fairfield Metro has plenty of parking, but it's a longer ride.

From Ridgefield, most people take the Katonah station. I haven't taken that station in years so I'm not sure what the parking situation is. It's worth going on Google Maps to compute your commute from various locations. It will give you times for driving to the station, and for the train ride itself at given times.
I'm a huge fan of Ridgefield (and Wilton) but I'd advise against Ridgefield for daily train commutation into NYC. Katonah parking for non-residents fills up very quickly and is quite a walk from the actual station. If it happens to reach capacity there is literally no where to park that you won't be towed from immediately. You cannot be added to the wait list for a parking pass at the station as non-NY resident. Wilton/Weston commuters generally head into SoNo with ample daily parking and a covered garage 50 feet from the NY bound track coupled with the shortest wait list on the NH line for monthly passes (~6 months). Ridgefield is too far to trek into SoNo everyday.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM

570 posts, read 477,410 times
Hard not to fall in love with Ridgefield. I came close twice to buying there but pulled out. As others said the commute is rough. From what I could tell there is no parking at Katonah or Goldens Bridge. Many are forced to take shuttle from downtown Ridgefield which stops running fairly early and adds cost. The other negatives were no city sewer or city water plus no gas lines. It all adds up. It felt a little too isolated so all things being equal, we went with Fairfield. A lot more happening and much more convenient. Commute still stinks if headed to NYC but I am firm believer in getting to station quickly then dealing with long train ride. Any long drives or reliance on public transport prior to getting on train will create added stress. At the end of day, Fairfield Metro is quick and easy.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:50 PM

104 posts, read 99,578 times
Some sections of Ridgefield are on city water (Aquarion, actually). We're on city water for the inbound and a septic tank for the outbound.

As far as things happening in Ridgefield, night life has become more attractive with the addition of the Ridgefield Playhouse several years ago and now the Prospector Theater for films and dining. The free summer concerts in the park are extremely popular, and the literary/lecture events at the library are well attended too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut