Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 AM

14 posts, read 43,761 times

Advertisements

Anybody know the origin of New Preston; year founded or incorporated and by whom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:17 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
New Preston is part of the Town of Warren which is located in central Litchfield County between Litchfield and Kent. Warren is a small town of about 1,200 people. It was originally part of neighboring Kent and settled in 1737. Jay

Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 PM

148 posts, read 738,949 times
It's actually a locality in Washington (town).

Old 01-23-2008, 05:41 PM

240 posts, read 1,371,701 times
Yes, its in Washington not Warren. The confusion is sometimes based on the fact that Warren has no post office and shares 3 with neighboring towns. Therefore, we are the only town on Ct without a zip code! We use Kent, Cornwall bridge 06754 and New Prestons 06777.
The "origin" on New Preston? Well Washington township incorporated in 1779. It was the last township on Lake Waramug to be incorporated. Assembled from a patchwork of properties from Kent, New Milford, the Woodbury township and Litchfield. Prior to that the surrounding lands were American Indian owned by local tribes such as The Pomperaugs, Bantams, Schaghticokes, Weantinokes and Potatucks. They banded together for protection from the Mohawks on NY. Chief Waramaug (died 1735) was the major political power. As whites settled in the area, the band of tribes welcomed them as security and protection from the Mohawks. There were no battles over land transactions to the Europeans. In 1710, the Woodbury north purchase included much of what in now the town of washington and the New Preston village. Six years later was the Fairweather purchase just west of the lake. Real estate transactions became rampant, as did townships and speculators.
The town of Washington became the 5th town in the nation to be named in honor of the 1st President. During the war, Washington stopped in New Preston village once. May 26th, 1781.. Im not dating myself! He had breakfast at Squire Cogswells place which is still located on Christian St. Actually the place exist as a private residence.
I hope this helps

Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom62 View Post
Yes, it's in Washington not Warren. The confusion is sometimes based on the fact that Warren has no post office and shares 3 with neighboring towns. Therefore, we are the only town on Conn. without a ZIP code! We use Kent, Cornwall Bridge's 06754 and New Preston's 06777.
Go figure. Cornwall Bridge and New Preston aren't even towns! A friend of mine who lives in Winchester says the same thing: Winsted (a section of Winchester) has a ZIP (Zoning Improvement Plan) code but the town itself doesn't.

I know of only one successful acquisition. Berlin acquired Kensington's ZIP code of 06037.

Then there's the strange re-alignment of a few Fairfield County towns. The prefix "064", used predominantly in Middlesex and New Haven Counties, was previously used for Stratford and Fairfield until a few years ago. It's still used for towns along the Housatonic's west bank (Newtown, Monroe, and Shelton).

Last edited by Rich Lee; 01-23-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
New Preston is part of the Town of Warren which is located in central Litchfield County between Litchfield and Kent. Warren is a small town of about 1,200 people. It was originally part of neighboring Kent and settled in 1737. Jay

You are right. I wrote the wrong town. Thanks for catching it. Jay

Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Default New Preston

Thank you all for the responses.
My interest in New Preston is one of personal heritage.
Growing up , all of my questions about the 'town' were answered by
speculations or just totally fabricated stories.
I guess it wasn't important for a 11-12 yr old to know the facts.

Here's what I DO know: My grandmother, Lina C Cogswell married Grier Orcutt Jones. They lived, until his death in 1956, in a 2 story Cape Cod style house
on the top of a hill on Flirtation Av just off rt202. The house is still there.
I have a lot of great memories of that house and of the long hikes down to the lake.
Lina was a twin and one of 6 or 7 girls born to Remus Cogswell. They lived on a farm on New Preston Hill.
I'm assuming Remus was a direct descendent of Major William Cogswell which would make me a descendant, also.
Anyone have any recollections of the Jones Family living in New Preston from about 1919 to the mid '60s? And/or any historical info on the Cogswells?

As a side note does anyone recall or know Diane Goldberg(nee) who lived on Flirtation Av in the 50s and 60s?

Thanks for any and all your responses.

Kenneth Grier Jones

Old 02-02-2008, 08:19 AM

240 posts, read 1,371,701 times
I will research for you. Your original post perked my interest and made me go into some books I have that I have just been putting off and putting off. Here is a book we found that may be of specific interest: "A History of Lake Waramaug" by Mary Harwood. 1996. Published by Warren Press, Danbury Ct.
If you google Lake waramaug, look into the L. Waramaug association, or the L. Waramaug task force for possible links

Old 02-14-2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks, Tom62.

I'll try to find "A History of lake Waramaug".
Since I now live in Reno, Nv. that will mean special ordering it.
I looked into the Lake Waramaug association and task force to no avail.
Thanks, again.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,806 times
kj - Hello Kenny; Steve Jones here. I've been meaning to get in contact with you but didnt know anyone who had a email for you. I was back in CT a couple of years ago and found Mary and Dan (I found her through the New Milford Library) and subsequently, my Dad and found out about your Dad being in Oregon. I am in Seattle metro area now and have been for a long time. Reno - I never would have guessed!

send me your contact info - [EMAIL="srjvlj@aol.com"]srjvlj@aol.com[/EMAIL]

Cousin Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut