Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Of course not all of them….but enough of them do to provide a statistic about it…. A lot of my friends in their 20s moved to NYC and Boston right out of college. DC was also a big attraction...You can't argue with stats. And same with retiring south…. enough people do. There is a reason why airlines steepen southbound fares in November and northbound fares in April… there is also a reason for the term "snowbirds"… I ALWAYS hear people say they are going to retire here with their pension and head south where they can spend their high CT pension in a low cost area.

Listen I like CT too and I'm in my 20s, but you have to realize there is a problem when you're saying "theres TONS to do here, like go to New York or Massachusetts or the mountains in Vermont". When most people talk about "here", they are talking about CT, not other states. It's just funny to listen to….theres a ton to do in CT, just go to another state!

Can't argue with stats Jay...
See my post above. You are talking about imaginary lines. Connecticut is small in area so it is not hard to cross those lines. In other states you will travel the same or more for things but you do not cross a state line. You are driving the same distance but just not crossing a line. How is that really any different? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,072,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
See my post above. You are talking about imaginary lines. Connecticut is small in area so it is not hard to cross those lines. In other states you will travel the same or more for things but you do not cross a state line. You are driving the same distance but just not crossing a line. How is that really any different? Jay
Because the main argument is there's not much to do IN CONNECTICUT….so you are confirming that to be true!

Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 AM

13,992 posts, read 13,772,394 times
Quote:

our neighbor Rhode island even smaller

Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 AM

691 posts, read 1,144,457 times
Quote:
Because the main argument is there's not much to do IN CONNECTICUT….so you are confirming that to be true!
You're looking for objectivity in the wrong place.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:27 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,386,100 times
Jay how old are u for curiosity sake? CT does have a lot to offer compared to other regions in the U.S. but comparing CT cities to other majors, it cannot and wouldnt be fair to do so anyway. I dont think our CT cities really do a good job of selling themselves to the youth that are from CT, whether that means an abundance of jobs or even just amenities. Stamford is really one of the only cities that seems very appealing to the youth and part of it is also its accessibility to NYC.

I went to UConn, and i dont know anyone that said, i just graduated from College, i really want to live in Hartford, or Bridgeport or hell didnt know anyone who moved to New Haven. Most went to NYC or Boston or lived in Stamford for a few years and moved somewhere else. That is not to say every single person feels that way. Some have no problem living CT their whole life in a remote town.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
No. I am saying there are things to do here but there is also things very close as well. Jay

Old 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Jay how old are u for curiosity sake? CT does have a lot to offer compared to other regions in the U.S. but comparing CT cities to other majors, it cannot and wouldnt be fair to do so anyway. I dont think our CT cities really do a good job of selling themselves to the youth that are from CT, whether that means an abundance of jobs or even just amenities. Stamford is really one of the only cities that seems very appealing to the youth and part of it is also its accessibility to NYC.

I went to UConn, and i dont know anyone that said, i just graduated from College, i really want to live in Hartford, or Bridgeport or hell didnt know anyone who moved to New Haven. Most went to NYC or Boston or lived in Stamford for a few years and moved somewhere else. That is not to say every single person feels that way. Some have no problem living CT their whole life in a remote town.
My age does not matter but if you think your generation is any different than past ones, you are mistaken. So you are saying the no one you went to UConn with ended up working in Hartford or New Haven??? I find that highly unlikely. Jay

Old 07-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Sorry but after I sent the post above I realized that this has gone way off topic. I am going to let others reply to this but will need to stop it soon. Maybe until the end of the day. Again sorry. JayCT, Moderator

Old 07-08-2015, 01:25 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,386,100 times
Quote:
My age does not matter but if you think your generation is any different than past ones, you are mistaken. So you are saying the no one you went to UConn with ended up working in Hartford or New Haven??? I find that highly unlikely. Jay
it does, ur claiming to know what a young 20s person wants. In fact it makes all the difference. If your 40 with a wife and kids, your at a different place in life than someone that is 22 and just graduated college single and moving somewhere new.

2 people in their 20s have commented. I'm not saying no one at Uconn ended up working in hartford or new haven. I'm sure there were, i dont happen to know any that did. My post was saying that I didnt know anyone who wanted to work in those places.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:30 PM

453 posts, read 526,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
it does, ur claiming to know what a young 20s person wants. In fact it makes all the difference. If your 40 with a wife and kids, your at a different place in life than someone that is 22 and just graduated college single and moving somewhere new.

2 people in their 20s have commented. I'm not saying no one at Uconn ended up working in hartford or new haven. I'm sure there were, i dont happen to know any that did. My post was saying that I didnt know anyone who wanted to work in those places.
To be fair, I am in my 20's, and while I work in Hartford, it certainly was not my first choice, nor the first choice of the vast majority of the people I graduated with. Keep in mind many UConn graduates nowadays are out of state residents to begin with. Basically none of those ended up staying in the state, opting to return to MA, NJ, or NY.

I've stated it before that I DO love CT, but there has been a lack of attention in persuading millennials to stick around and in listening to their needs. The lack of investment in our cities, or even walkable communities in the suburbs is to blame. There has been gravitation back to cities since the 90's and CT is well behind the rest of the country on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut